'Fear None' - Steven Bergwijn | Vital Football

'Fear None' - Steven Bergwijn

Spursex

Alert Team
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...rview-tragedy-suffered-team-mate-inspiration/

Steven Bergwijn interview: the tragedy suffered by my team-mate is my inspiration

How the misfortune of his friend and former teammate Abdelhak “Appie” Nouri has influenced Bergwijn and Holland's current golden generation

By Sam Wallace, Chief Football Writer 15 February 2020 • 10:30pm
Premium

TELEMMGLPICT000223487395_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqF9BD_fYQB0teZOF4IslN2Yn2pZoIcmajc70c214YJZo.jpegimwidth=480

Steven Bergwijn has made an instant impact on the pitch at Tottenham Credit: Getty Images

Even now in halting English there seems to be a tremble in the voice of Steven Bergwijn when he discusses the life of his former Ajax academy team-mate Abdelhak “Appie” Nouri, who is never far from the minds of Holland’s current golden generation.

Tottenham Hotspur’s new £27 million Holland international is chatting on the sofas overlooking the entrance hall of his club’s training ground and although we are here to discuss his life and his debut goal against Manchester City, nothing moves him like talking about “Appie”. Nouri was a friend and team-mate to Bergwijn, as he was to Chelsea’s new signing Hakim Ziyech, when they were at Ajax as teenagers together, and now, as careers develop, “Appie” lies in his hospital bed.

“We were like brothers,” Bergwijn says simply. “I have known Appie all my life, from when we were seven years old. We met then. We were in the same squad [at Ajax]. Since then we are best friends.”
He still speaks to Appie’s younger brother Mohammed every day, and he did so on the day of the game against City two weeks ago. “He told me, ‘You’re going to score for Appie,’ ” Bergwijn said, “and I said, ‘OK, watch me I’m going to score’. I did it.”

It is hard to overstate the significance of Nouri in the lives of his generation of Dutch players, among whom he was once considered the greatest prospect of all. He was an astonishing talent whose highlights reel reveals a diminutive playmaker who sees the game five seconds in advance of anyone else. His touch and improvisation are unconventional and thrilling. When he strikes one of his extraordinary passes, suddenly the phase of play makes sense. He made his first team Ajax debut at 19, although the club’s fans were singing his name before then.

TELEMMGLPICT000224821484_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqF9BD_fYQB0teZOF4IslN2YooSnn7gCAtdlty6EBJYS0.jpegimwidth=480

Justin Kulivert dedicated a goal a scored he scored in the Champions League to his former teammate Abdelhak Nouri
During a pre-season friendly in July 2017 in Austria, aged 20, he collapsed on the pitch with a heart attack and suffered permanent and serious brain damage. He has been in a hospital bed since, his family taking turns to keep vigil.

The son of a Moroccan heritage family, and a kind boy who took pride in his neighbourhood and his Muslim faith, he has become symbolic of modern multicultural Amsterdam, his hometown, while those who love him try to make sense of his fate.

Bergwijn, 22, the age Nouri is now, can still recall where he was when he heard the news. Bergwijn had left Ajax’s academy aged 13 to join their rivals PSV Eindhoven, but the two had continued to represent Holland together at junior international level. “We played [that day] against RKC [Waalwijk] and I scored two. I was happy and after the game the team manager came to me and said what had happened. Yeah, my world collapsed. It was like this. I went inside …”

His voice begins to fail him. “I just waited for the calls from my manager [agent] because he went there … [to see Appie]. Then I heard two or three weeks later that he had brain damage. At that time, I didn’t sleep so much and things like this. The first weeks I was scared to play, to go on the pitch, because a young boy, out of nowhere [had suffered]. This was also in my head. I thought like this. It was difficult. It’s still difficult. I speak to his brother every day but it’s still difficult.”
TELEMMGLPICT000224821533_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqhasgUMiR-rxiRxu9qBoVLTlaTMTxUhlzF8Rkw038U-A.jpegimwidth=480

Bergwijn, of Surinamese heritage, comes from the town of Almere, east of Amsterdam, and his departure from Ajax was the defining decision of his academy career. He had been one of the standout talents in a cohort that included Nouri, Ziyech, Frenkie de Jong and Donny van de Beek – all bar Ziyech born in 1997. It is not clear why he left Ajax other than that there seemed to be disagreements. One report recounts Bergwijn’s father, Jurgen, falling out with coaches at the club, although the player is reluctant to go into details.
“I am a person who if I have ‘no feeling’ [for a club] when my heart [isn’t in it]… I didn’t have the feeling there anymore and if that’s gone you have to leave.” It was, nevertheless, a big decision. Bergwijn shrugs.
“When we played against PSV, I would say to the Ajax boys, ‘I want to play at PSV’. They would say, ‘No, you’re staying here’. I said, ‘Watch, one day I am going to be there’. And it happened.”
He commuted daily for two years from Almere to training at PSV because the family preferred that he not move into digs there, a three-hour round trip driven by his father. When the time came to leave PSV in January it was sudden again. “My father called me and he said, ‘Pack your stuff, you’re going to London’. I said, ‘OK’. It was like this.” He had played against Spurs in the Champions League group game at Wembley in November 2018, a 2-1 defeat for PSV, and watched the semi-final against Ajax unfold last season with mixed feelings.

“Honestly, for Donny and Frenkie … I play with them in the national team. For them it’s beautiful to be there. But I was jealous. I wanted to be there with PSV. I was happy that Lucas [Moura] scored a goal. For them I was sad but I was happy.”

Now he finds himself a Premier League player with considerable expectation on his shoulders after that flying start, as Spurs face Aston Villa on Sunday in the race for the Champions League places. At PSV, he was coached by some of the club’s former greats, including Ruud van Nistelrooy, who worked on his finishing, and Bolo Zenden, who would go through his video clips and discuss how he might improve.

You get the impression of a determined young man, although he is shy too. Across his knuckles is tattooed “Fear none”, but when asked about it there is a general bashfulness as he glances down at the words. There is one more question about his friend Appie. What was he like to play with? Bergwijn smiles – this is the memory that he can cherish. “Ahhh, fantastic player. This guy? He can do everything with the ball. If you ask him, ‘try to do this’, he will say, ‘Wait’. The next day he will do it.”

Zenden was one of my faves back in the day. I was a winger, but I probably wasn’t aware of him before my retirement at 15 for health reasons, otherwise I’m sure I would have picked up some pointers from watching him. Having him coach you directly, like Bergwijn, is sure to add a dimension to your in-game movement and decision making, possibly even reading of the game.
Didn’t get to watch the game v Villa. Saw the extended highlights, where Bergwijn seemed to be involved a lot (might get to watch the whole game «on demand» in a day or so). Was he as good as it seemed from the highlights?

Zenden was one of my faves back in the day. I was a winger, but I probably wasn’t aware of him before my retirement at 15 for health reasons, otherwise I’m sure I would have picked up some pointers from watching him. Having him coach you directly, like Bergwijn, is sure to add a dimension to your in-game movement and decision making, possibly even reading of the game.
Didn’t get to watch the game v Villa. Saw the extended highlights, where Bergwijn seemed to be involved a lot (might get to watch the whole game «on demand» in a day or so). Was he as good as it seemed from the highlights?

I haven't had the benefit of watching the recording, but was there and thought he did well. we'd been set up to counter and he played his part well, a couple of times I mentally marked him down for the final third choices he made and I thought he struggled a bit to deal with their counters in the first instance and towards the end of the game was I thought feeling it in his legs - but for a second start, he seemed to do well overall, as I said, I think he'll improve when his fitness improves as he was another who seemed to be gulping air and couldn't get back into position as quickly as you'd ideally want him to.

I'm liking the look of this lad, as Ex says fitness and the pace of the PL will take a while to adjust to but he looks like a proper player to me.

I like him too, it will be interesting how he fits in when Kane is back. Our rebuild is taking shape with Tanganga, Sessegnon, Gedson, Loco and Bergwijn, I dont include Ndombele , I think he is going to fail, something is not right. I hope I am wrong.

I like him too, it will be interesting how he fits in when Kane is back. Our rebuild is taking shape with Tanganga, Sessegnon, Gedson, Loco and Bergwijn, I dont include Ndombele , I think he is going to fail, something is not right. I hope I am wrong.
Its a bizarre situation - and I hope you are wrong too. If he is not injured it must come down to his fitness or his mindset. How unfit can you get earing African Porridge? I worry we have a Pogba type in the ranks. He is making Lamela look reliable ffs.

The lad has good vision. He put some quality passes through into the area at Villa. He isn't all about pace and taking on players.

He is over weight at the moment. He is even faster than what we are seeing.

You're wrong about N'dombele, unless they are hiding the fact that his groin/hip injury is worse than has been disclosed.

Personally, I think the club are doing a pre-season on him (in-season) as his early injury was severely aggravated by playing him and they're trying to avoid surgery.

The only way to do that is to push him in training until you are sure that he can deal with match intensity - that's as much as for the teams sake as it is for the players.

When he's fit, we'll be worshiping him. He's everything we lack at the moment to be a top class side again.

You're wrong about N'dombele, unless they are hiding the fact that his groin/hip injury is worse than has been disclosed.

Personally, I think the club are doing a pre-season on him (in-season) as his early injury was severely aggravated by playing him and they're trying to avoid surgery.

The only way to do that is to push him in training until you are sure that he can deal with match intensity - that's as much as for the teams sake as it is for the players.

When he's fit, we'll be worshiping him. He's everything we lack at the moment to be a top class side again.

I still think Ndombele will be great but do think his biggest adjustment will be in deep positions. At the moment he is trying the same thing he's always done but is too slow to pull it off. He almost gets dispossessed and there's a lot of heart in mouth moments. Just by getting fitter won't necessarily change that. It will help but he'll have to adjust as well because this is the Prem, not the French League.

Once he does that, I think well start to appreciate the other parts of his game and he'll start running the midfield. With his skill, passing, assists and goals he'll be a colossus for us.

I watched his best bits on YouTube when I found out we were in for him. My comment was that he has trickery and relies on it to get past players but doesn't show a clean pair of heels. What I saw was not that quick once he got going. He needs to create space with trickery then move the ball on with incisive passing. I reserved total judgement as its not fair to base on YouTube. So far I have not seen anything to change my initial impressions.