Favourite old and new football stand? | Vital Football

Favourite old and new football stand?

Casperimp

Vital 1st Team Regular
As we have been looking at different football grounds it got me thinking we all like different things so what is your favourite football stand old and new, anywhere in the world.

Here is one my favourite current old stand Great Yarmouth FC how quaint is this?
1590576837364.png

For new stands I think this one at Providence Park home the Portland Timbers in Major League Soccer takes some beating.
1590577164712.png

The outside is pretty great as well
1590577463542.png

I love both those two, the Great Yarmouth one is fantastic and it completely makes the ground, the rest of which is pretty bland.

One of my favourite old ones is the main stand at Ebbsfleet, with my favourite new one being the West Stand at The Valley. Compared to what was there before and the history I think it is superb.

As a bit of a football ground geek I’ve always liked the old Archibald Leitch-style grandstands. As with much design/architecture these days modern methods of construction come nowhere near the quality and attention to detail of those old stands. All we get is MFI-standard replicas with different seat colours.

As we have been looking at different football grounds it got me thinking we all like different things so what is your favourite football stand old and new, anywhere in the world.

Here is one my favourite current old stand Great Yarmouth FC how quaint is this?
View attachment 39698

For new stands I think this one at Providence Park home the Portland Timbers in Major League Soccer takes some beating.
View attachment 39699

The outside is pretty great as well
View attachment 39700

Clearly Providence Park is the exception to that rule!

I only went to Park Avenue at Bradford twice but I've always been fascinated by what they called the Doll's House. Best photo I've got is this one after the ground had become derelict.

Park Avenue derelict.jpg

Guys, as per the warning regarding copyright, please make sure you OWN the copyright to any image you post on VLC OR have purchased the relevant licence to use it. I'm sorry to be boring, but this is far more important than you realise.

Favourite old stand is the old grayhound racing stand at fieldmill. Not sure why just something about it that.

New the Olympic Gallary St Andrews was impressive

I only went to Park Avenue at Bradford twice but I've always been fascinated by what they called the Doll's House. Best photo I've got is this one after the ground had become derelict.

I went there once ; it was a night match and I think the pitch was very wet.

I think it must have been Sept 68, as I seem to recall the programme said that the last time Lincoln were there, Norman Corner scored a hat trick (April 68).

Part of the joy of ground-hopping is the sheer variety of grounds including that historically many were/are used for other purposes. The athletic stadiums taken over (Gateshead, West Ham, Don Valley as pictured earlier, etc) are however generally a viewing disaster Those with cricket (Sheff Utd, Northampton) are wisely no longer dual-sport. However I always rate those with speedway such as Berwick and the dilapidated Cowdenbeath below in 2001.vitals77.JPG

Last edited:
I went there once ; it was a night match and I think the pitch was very wet.

I think it must have been Sept 68, as I seem to recall the programme said that the last time Lincoln were there, Norman Corner scored a hat trick (April 68).

That's right, it was 1-1 in September 1968.

I was there for Corner's hat-trick and for the Imps' last visit there in March 1970 (won 3-0).

Somerton Park (Newport) had a speedway track when I went there in 1971. I think they used to take up the turf at the corners for the speedway season.

Somerton Park (Newport) had a speedway track when I went there in 1971. I think they used to take up the turf at the corners for the speedway season.
Somerton Park was a right khazi but I actually quite liked it as it had atmosphere and it was unique.
A Newport fan I know told me a few years ago ‘Somerton Park was a 5hithole but it was our 5hithole and we loved it’.

Part of the joy of ground-hopping is the sheer variety of grounds including that historically many were/are used for other purposes. The athletic stadiums taken over (Gateshead, West Ham, Don Valley as pictured earlier, etc) are however generally a viewing disaster Those with cricket (Sheff Utd, Northampton) are wisely no longer dual-sport. However I always rate those with speedway such as Berwick and the dilapidated Cowdenbeath below in 2001.

In non league, Newcastle Town (same level as Lincoln U) have a velodrome around the pitch (Jules posted a pic in Guess the ground), and I remember going to Winsford to watch Boston when they were in the Northern Premier League, and there was a greyhound track around the pitch - the whole ground was a dog!!