Favourite Norwich Goals | Vital Football

Favourite Norwich Goals

Tuckster

Alert Team
Staff member
Had an idea for a cool thread. How about posting videos of fave City goals. Either because it was a crucial goal for some reason, a rocket of a shot or a sublime piece of skill, like this one - what ever you like. I reckon it could become a decent front page article...

Predictable I know but trying to get a top 10 of goals I have seen away from
Carrow Road. This is number 1.

Dammit, if I could travel back in time to be at any Norwich game, this would be the one I went to. I was only 13 at the time and watched it on TV, but I so wish I could’ve seen it live. It must’ve been amazing to be there DG ?

Walsall 1 - 2 Norwich 2010. This was one of my favourite goals ever, simply because I hadn’t seen us win for 5 years, yes FIVE whole years - home or away.

I couldn’t get to many games each season at the time and every time I did go we lost or drew. I typed it into YouTube and my own video which I took on my crappy phone came up! I had forgotten that I even filmed it. That’s me shouting ‘go on’, I went absolutely mental as it was the last minute and when you’ve waited 5 years to see a win, well it felt like we’d won the champions league to me.

I met Cody Macdonald a few months later and thanked him in person for making my night on that cold January eve in Walsall. He was a decent kid and really down to earth. Shame he never really pushed on for us.

2009/10 season was a fabulous time for myself and Northern . We went all over the country supporting the Canaries and did all we could to help them back into the Championship . We went to Leeds , Stockport County , Huddersfield , Wallsall , Bristol Rovers , Charlton , Oldham Athletic , Brighton ,Swindon , and Yeovil .
In March 2010 came Huddersfield away , and I was very nervous on the day as I lived and worked in the town and if we lost my mates at work would have been merciless with me . As it turned out we won 3-1 with goals from Grant Holt and two from Shaun Elliot . I cannot describe what it meant to me to win at Huddersfield and I was so proud for weeks afterwards .
Northern always took his camera to games and caught Elliots goal perfectly . The video was picked up by ITV Anglia who showed it on their local football show on TV
Here is the video of Elliots goal and you can hear me shouting ‘go on Holt’ for the cross to Elliot and see me going mental when the ball went in .
Other goals have been great but this is my favourite goal of all time as I can say I was there , the atmosphere was fabulous and it meant more to me personally than any goal we have ever scored !

Walsall 1 - 2 Norwich 2010. This was one of my favourite goals ever, simply because I hadn’t seen us win for 5 years, yes FIVE whole years - home or away.

I couldn’t get to many games each season at the time and every time I did go we lost or drew. I typed it into YouTube and my own video which I took on my crappy phone came up! I had forgotten that I even filmed it. That’s me shouting ‘go on’, I went absolutely mental as it was the last minute and when you’ve waited 5 years to see a win, well it felt like we’d won the champions league to me.

I met Cody Macdonald a few months later and thanked him in person for making my night on that cold January eve in Walsall. He was a decent kid and really down to earth. Shame he never really pushed on for us.

Great work Northern. Its about being there and you were :clap::clap:
If I remember correctly this was a rescheduled game as on original Saturday, Walsall's attempt to defrost pitch with braziers did not work and you and YB saw Wes getting onto team coach with a Farm foods carrier bag ?

Dammit, if I could travel back in time to be at any Norwich game, this would be the one I went to. I was only 13 at the time and watched it on TV, but I so wish I could’ve seen it live. It must’ve been amazing to be there DG ?

It was great Northern but looking back on it I feel we did not make the most of it
after the game. We went on Chase rip off charter due to my initial arranged trip
with Sportex being called off late.

My favorite away goal Nr 2. Sadly no action to show.
Its the reason behind it rather than the quality or importance of the goal.
Long story and apologies to YB and Northern who have heard this before.

It goes back to 01 October 96 and me visiting my brother at work as I was consulting for NCC at the time. I was moaning about my mother in law staying
for a week so my brother called my bluff and offered to drive to Grimsby that night so I could get away. Next thing we knew he had taken an afternoon off work and we were stopping at my house and ready to drive to Grimsby. It did not go down too well at DG Towers but we set off in time for a couple of beers and chippy tea before kick off. A great decision as the problem of whether to keep playing O Neil instead of returning from injury Eadie was solved by playing them both and we won 4 1. Got back home about 1.00 am the next day.

Most of my away trips are London based and we have had several trips over the years with various groups of 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 but after that evening our usual group of 3 had not seen a win for years and it was only when all 3 of us managed to get to the subbuteo stadium on another midweek game on 03 March 2009
did we realise that it had been 12 1/2 years wince we had actually seen an away win in about 60 attempts.

Cue the subbuteo stadium and this line up without a win for a few games and low in championship actually managed to win 1 0.
Not sure if it was Russell or Bertrand who scored in front of us mid way in second half but our long wait was over.
A scruffy goal that meant so much to all 3 of us.

Goalkeeper David Marshall
Defender/Right back Jon Otsemobor
Defender/Centre back Gary Doherty
Defender/Centre back Jason Shackell
Defender/Midfielder Ryan Bertrand
Defender/Midfielder Jonathan Grounds
Midfielder Sammy Clingan
Midfielder Lee Croft
Midfielder Wes Hoolahan
Midfielder Darel Russell
Forward Carl Cort

The train got back to Norwich at 1 .40 am the next day and for some bizarre reason I decided after not getting a taxi at station to start walking and after a while thought it a good idea to walk home to Drayton ( hence DG ).
I got as far as Asda in Hellesdon and rejected a beer stop and still not sure if it was 24 hour opening in those days.
Walking on a bit further I was stopped by police and asked to get in the car out of the now pouring rain whilst he did a check on me and address I had given.
After 5 minutes I got the all clear and anticipated a lift home but NO as after asking me to get out he drove off to Drayton leaving me another 45 minutes of my 2 hour walk home in pouring rain.
I got home at 4 am soaked, knackered but delighted with a win at last.

2 months later we were at the valley watching a 4 2 defeat and the Smiffs taking us down to third tier in 50 years.

I was at Grimsby that night as well , but didn’t know DG at the time and I have often wondered if we were near to DG and brother all those years ago . We always went to Grimsby when the boys were playing there as it was an easy drive from Huddersfield and they were often defeats but that was a great night . I can still see O Neil doing a jig dance in front of us when he scored . Was it really 24 years ago ?

I have so many but I did like these -

Loza vs Huddersfield - Not the greatest goal and honestly not one of the best I've ever seen but I am putting it on here because - 1) Vaughan had scored in the 96th and went mental and wasted more time and then was sent off 2) If I remember correctly their fans were wanky and when they scored late they were singing about us fucking it up or something 3) we scored in the 97th 4) It was a goal from one of our own academy players something I don't think we had seen in a while maybe since Martin and finally 5) I loved Wes asking the ref how long is left and instead of going crazy he went to the other players where is the ball - they believed they could score again.

Hooper vs Bolton - I just remember Le Fondre scoring and acting like a little tit. I was thinking how are we not beating Bolton and then bang Hooper strikes late and we all go crazy.

Robbins vs Arsenal - The game that I became 100% a fan (my first Norwich game was away at Wimbledon in 1991) I was an Arsenal fan as a boy (I was 7 at this point I believe) my brother was a strong spurs supporter, my father a Norwich fan and we were from Norfolk so I had this split - support Norwich like my father, and follow my local club or support Arsenal in spite of my brother - we also had a friend who was head of PR at Arsenal and got tickets and other stuff too. I went to the game in an Arsenal top and my father in a Norwich one but this was one of the games that made me a Norwich fan - The players, the style of play, the fans, I loved the kit, probably the fact that we won but after this game, I asked my father to buy me a Norwich top he got me one and also a GK kit.

Jackson vs Derby - I was there and went mental. The whole day was just brilliant. My father and I went back to Bungay had a few drinks a nice lunch. After the game, we had a superb curry and lots of laughs. The weather was beautiful and so was the Jackson goal. I just remember Savage walking off in slow motion celebrating with the Derby fans as he went off and that time he wasted was added on and we scored. Also, the radio commentary was pure gold.

Johnson vs Ipswich - Just seeing the net nearly come off was amazing plus it was against Ipswich.

Power (I think) vs Palace - My first ever Norwich goal at Carrow Rd (If my memory is right). Against Palace who a few of my friends supported and who I was a young player with too.

https://www.premierleague.com/video/single/598198

There are many more but off the top of my head, they are a few.

Any goal against Ipswich really!

I have so many but I did like these -

Loza vs Huddersfield - Not the greatest goal and honestly not one of the best I've ever seen but I am putting it on here because - 1) Vaughan had scored in the 96th and went mental and wasted more time and then was sent off 2) If I remember correctly their fans were wanky and when they scored late they were singing about us fucking it up or something 3) we scored in the 97th 4) It was a goal from one of our own academy players something I don't think we had seen in a while maybe since Martin and finally 5) I loved Wes asking the ref how long is left and instead of going crazy he went to the other players where is the ball - they believed they could score again.

Hooper vs Bolton - I just remember Le Fondre scoring and acting like a little tit. I was thinking how are we not beating Bolton and then bang Hooper strikes late and we all go crazy.

Robbins vs Arsenal - The game that I became 100% a fan (my first Norwich game was away at Wimbledon in 1991) I was an Arsenal fan as a boy (I was 7 at this point I believe) my brother was a strong spurs supporter, my father a Norwich fan and we were from Norfolk so I had this split - support Norwich like my father, and follow my local club or support Arsenal in spite of my brother - we also had a friend who was head of PR at Arsenal and got tickets and other stuff too. I went to the game in an Arsenal top and my father in a Norwich one but this was one of the games that made me a Norwich fan - The players, the style of play, the fans, I loved the kit, probably the fact that we won but after this game, I asked my father to buy me a Norwich top he got me one and also a GK kit.

Jackson vs Derby - I was there and went mental. The whole day was just brilliant. My father and I went back to Bungay had a few drinks a nice lunch. After the game, we had a superb curry and lots of laughs. The weather was beautiful and so was the Jackson goal. I just remember Savage walking off in slow motion celebrating with the Derby fans as he went off and that time he wasted was added on and we scored. Also, the radio commentary was pure gold.

Johnson vs Ipswich - Just seeing the net nearly come off was amazing plus it was against Ipswich.

Power (I think) vs Palace - My first ever Norwich goal at Carrow Rd (If my memory is right). Against Palace who I had friends with and who I was a young player with too.

https://www.premierleague.com/video/single/598198

There are many more but off the top of my head, they are a few.

Any goal against Ipswich really!
Love those, Bears 👍

One of the goals I will never forget was 2005/06 season away at Cardiff (Ninian Park), we won 0-1 courtesy of a Rob Earnshaw goal. I was still in school at the time and was my first Norwich game in person (having started supporting them during the 2002/03 season at age 12). For the same reason as why the Hudders win meant so much to YB, this was the same for me . Having been brought up in very strong Bluebird terrority in the welsh valleys I had the comments and banter given to me every single day at school and within my friend circles out of it by Cardiff supporting friends . A bunch of the boys I was friends with at the time were also at the game and we could see each other as the old Grange End used to be next to the away fans. When Earnshaw scored that goal we all went mental and even now the memory is just a blur to me. I was picked up onto the shoulders of this man who ran the length of the stand with me on top of him before a few of us fell over at the end closest to the home fans. I swear I was 10 foot taller at school for the rest of that year and oddly didn't get as much comments anymore!!

The quality of the goal was poor and the game was less than memorable, but it was the personal reasons for why it's probably number 1 for me. Next to that I'd have to say Simeon Jackson v Pompey / Derby. Another Cardiff away day 2014/15 is special to me as well, being 2-0 at half time and seeing my mates taunting me from afar - only to score 4 goals in second half and win 4-2. Buzzing.

Based on best goal for the goal itself - has to be Safri's goal v Newcastle every time . For most technical goal I give it to Hucks....think it was against Brum. I remember him he went in and out of at least 9 players from our own goal line to the other end and scored calmly. Amazing.

It was YB. As I said to Northern I still think I missed out regarding post match celebrations. Maybe as it was just me and my brother ( I paid for him as he could not afford at the time and he worked for me to pay it off ), it was a bit flat.
We recognised one chap and spoke to him but got it wrong as it was a chap we used to sit next to before moving to Barclay and did not recognise him for that,
( I still see his mate as he is a bricky working a lot for my best builder ).

If the current group of us 2, MM, yourself, northern etc were all at that game in todays group it would have been brilliant.

Earnshaw was a good player scored a load of goals for us. Did we sell to make money or was it he wanted to leave?