Fatigue ? | Page 6 | Vital Football

Fatigue ?

Number of players used this season will be one (for reference, we had used one of the lowest at 23 last I saw (L1 average was 29, albeit the January will have skewed some numbers slightly)).

How many of those all those minutes played will have been played by the first XI.

Depth of squad. Portsmouth or Sunderland can probably mix 5 or 6 of their players up if needed, we can probably get away with 2 or 3 before we see a drop off and in some areas, there's a massive drop off with just one change (Hopper, for example, or Bridcutt)).
Luke so you really think if Wyk and McGeady were injured and missed some games then Sunderland could replace them with the same quality players. Hull will miss Honeyman massively and like Donny are missing Whitman. All clubs have 2 or 3 vital cogs that are virtually irreplaceable standard wise

The ones who have had covid will be more tired due to its effects.
Not sure how many of ours have had it so far, but Anderson and Montsma I think are two of them that have had it.

I don't know. But on that note James Jones hasn't quite been the player he was before Christmas. I suspect he may have had it. No evidence just a hunch.

By the way Gooseberry jam is great, but you try and find it in the shops these days. I've heard it's good for fending off covid.

Luke so you really think if Wyk and McGeady were injured and missed some games then Sunderland could replace them with the same quality players. Hull will miss Honeyman massively and like Donny are missing Whitman. All clubs have 2 or 3 vital cogs that are virtually irreplaceable standard wise
Honeyman played full game for Dull v Ipswich on Tuesday.

While you can prove most things if you go looking for the evidence, I do wonder if the idea of having a number of extra mid week games is particularly important.

I think it has a part but not necessarily as big a part as is sometimes made out.

If Ipswich have been concentrating on the league, the benefit of playing fewer games is yet to be evident.

In terms of the Papa John's Trophy run. The run earned us enough to add an extra player to the squad I would have thought and we fielded fringe players in virtually every round.

I am not saying playing every three or four days does not have it's challenges but they are more about being "up" for the games as opposed to physically tired.

Our mistakes on Tuesday were from lack of alertness and decision making - not to do with physical fatigue. Not in the first minute and not by a goal keeper at any rate.

Of our challengers all will end up within 3 or 4 games of the amount we will have played.

At this point we have less matches still to play than Portsmouth, Sunderland(both with tiring? days at Wembley), Doncaster and Accrington. Peterborough have the same number (but a poor home pitch) and Hull are the only team with less but they will end up playing only one game less than us this season.

The key statistic to me other than the only one which matters - the league table...to quantify our rapid deterioration of late is

We have lost one of the last 15 league and cup games.

My personal view is the disruption to a settled side through injuries and integration of new players has had a bigger effect than tiredness...

... as has winter conditions (mud and wind).

Come through the next few weeks in reasonable order and any logic should tell you we will have better playing conditions, better integrated January signings and some fresh players -

Full backs at one game a week reasonably fresh (2 matches / four players)
Walsh fresh
Bridcutt fresh
Sanders fresh
Anderson fresh
Morton fresh

My bet is the best sides will end up at the top of the league and will be the ones that have been there all season.

While you can prove most things if you go looking for the evidence, I do wonder if the idea of having a number of extra mid week games is particularly important.

I think it has a part but not necessarily as big a part as is sometimes made out.

If Ipswich have been concentrating on the league, the benefit of playing fewer games is yet to be evident.

In terms of the Papa John's Trophy run. The run earned us enough to add an extra player to the squad I would have thought and we fielded fringe players in virtually every round.

I am not saying playing every three or four days does not have it's challenges but they are more about being "up" for the games as opposed to physically tired.

Our mistakes on Tuesday were from lack of alertness and decision making - not to do with physical fatigue. Not in the first minute and not by a goal keeper at any rate.

Of our challengers all will end up within 3 or 4 games of the amount we will have played.

At this point we have less matches still to play than Portsmouth, Sunderland(both with tiring? days at Wembley), Doncaster and Accrington. Peterborough have the same number (but a poor home pitch) and Hull are the only team with less but they will end up playing only one game less than us this season.

The key statistic to me other than the only one which matters - the league table...to quantify our rapid deterioration of late is

We have lost one of the last 15 league and cup games.

My personal view is the disruption to a settled side through injuries and integration of new players has had a bigger effect than tiredness...

... as has winter conditions (mud and wind).

Come through the next few weeks in reasonable order and any logic should tell you we will have better playing conditions, better integrated January signings and some fresh players -

Full backs at one game a week reasonably fresh (2 matches / four players)
Walsh fresh
Bridcutt fresh
Sanders fresh
Anderson fresh
Morton fresh

My bet is the best sides will end up at the top of the league and will be the ones that have been there all season.
Excellent piece.

Ok right, I thought he was seriously injured against Donny last Saturday when he was stretchered off with his neck in a brace.
..and 16 minutes added time. Pleased for him that it wasn't serious but henceforward known as 'Lazarus' Honeyman?