Father of ADHD Admitted it Was a Fictitious Disease | Vital Football

Father of ADHD Admitted it Was a Fictitious Disease

G

On his death bed, this psychiatrist and autism pioneer admitted that ADHD is essentially a “fictitious disease,” which means that millions of young children today are being needlessly prescribed severe mind-altering drugs that will set them up for a life of drug addiction and failure.

http://intellihub.com/2013/06/27/before-his-death-father-of-adhd-admitted-it-was-a-fictitious-disease/

http://consults.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/15/when-the-diagnosis-is-a-d-h-d/?_r=0

The pervasive view that A.D.H.D. is a fiction invented by drug companies has never had any basis in fact. The diagnosis of the disorder predates the widespread clinical use of medications to treat it and thousands of studies on the disorder have been done with no involvement of the drug industry. Those studies show that the disorder is legitimate, valid and widely impairing of an individual’s ability to effectively participate in major life activities like school, work, family, social relations, driving, money management and child-rearing.

Critics of A.D.H.D., including fringe religious groups, are part of the source for such propaganda against the disorder. Their claims have sometimes been uncritically perpetrated by journalists who fail to check out the source of the claim or the group asserting it. Getting accurate information into the media is one of the best ways to counteract this false assertion.

I definitely believe that...

Attention deficit? Really? Kids are not designed (nor are adults) to sit in silence and listen to things they dont care about for hours at a time...

If your kid is diagnosed with ADHD you need to find something they love to do rather than give them drugs thats how you get them focused... There are plenty of stories out there on that type of thing...
American drug companies love to invent diseases or disorders they just want to sell drugs and this is a key case...

Diet and exercise should be first port of call, especially the diet part.

I don't mean dieting.

But looking at the E number ladened crisp they are fed plus drink.

Won't sort all out I know, but certainly helps with the hyperactive side of things.

I was told I had attention deficit dis...wow, look at the stars...

One of the most successful treatments for ADHD is omega 3 supplements, the biggest issue being a pure enough source of omega 3 given the polution that effects most commercial sources. For you and me commercial sources are fine but ADHD sufferers need unusually high doses to be effective. Unfortunately the purification process to extract the oil doesn't separate out the pollutants.

We had kids with ADHD when I was at school but it was called then being a bit of a twat!

Agree 100% on that Fear...Shame really that some parents fail to understand this and look for a solution using prescription drugs instead...Poor kids!

Im saying it is and agree with the article - did you even read it?

It makes shocking reading that loads of children/people have been on and I quote; "dangerous psychostimulant drugs" for a disease that is nothing but a fake!

Green Tea - 8/12/2013 20:31

Im saying it is and agree with the article - did you even read it?

It makes shocking reading that loads of children/people have been on and I quote; "dangerous psychostimulant drugs" for a disease that is nothing but a fake!

But, you agreed with Fear, who was providing alternative treatments for this condition. That very clearly means it has to exist.

Also, the link I gave gives evidence for why it definitely does exist. I find it is always worth reading more than one article, just to get a more rounded view.

Am I the only one who doesn't actually see a verifiable quote to justify the headline assertion?

The only proof comes from other quotes apparently.

Is ADHD used by the lazy to categorise all behaviour types, absolutely, and that goes for some GP's, but that article doesn't seem to know the difference between autism and ADHD either.

Especially when by it's very design to self prove itself it criticises the fact you can't define or test for ADHD by lumping in bi-polar and a host of other things completely oblivious to the testing that is available.

I know America likes to protect the press, but so many of these 'investigative' websites that peddle bullshit in the name of truth when all they are effectively doing is lobbying a self fulfilling viewpoint shouldn't be allowed to do so without balance.

Sorry GT but people also shouldn't quote such articles if you can call them that because they aren't 'fact'.

Blimey, even the first comment on the article shows more critical understanding than the presumed 'content' does. And clearly to be honest, the comments are far more educational than the article itself.

Green Tea - 8/12/2013 20:18

Agree 100% on that Fear...Shame really that some parents fail to understand this and look for a solution using prescription drugs instead...Poor kids!

It is. Trouble is this seems the modern way.

Go in, get a pill.

They should go in and get advice first, and education, then once that has been actioned, if no change, fine, look to medication.

Same with a number of diseases that have increased as the western diet has worsened. You only have to watch something like the biggest loser to see obese folks going in rattling from the amount of pills they take. Doesn't take long for the weight to start to come off, the diet and exercise I prove and the tablets reduce, some even stopped.

But popping pills is easier and more profitable.

Shame really.

Whatever they are called, there are certainly those with behavioural problems, all sorts of spectrums of all sorts of categories.
Add, ADHD, dyspraxia, Aspergers, etc etc.

I think in years gone by you'd just have been called naughty, disruptive, or a pain in the backside.

Not a bad thing that it is now recognised some behavioural problems might have a root cause, however I do really worry for our future generations if the first answer is these strong drugs.

The Fear - 8/12/2013 21:36

Whatever they are called, there are certainly those with behavioural problems, all sorts of spectrums of all sorts of categories.
Add, ADHD, dyspraxia, Aspergers, etc etc.

I think in years gone by you'd just have been called naughty, disruptive, or a pain in the backside.

Not a bad thing that it is now recognised some behavioural problems might have a root cause, however I do really worry for our future generations if the first answer is these strong drugs.

If you read into it, this isn't the first course of action. This is just hype by the anti brigade. There is always someone trying to knock the good work done by others.

I think the medical profession are a bit too quick with the tablet answer though heathfield.

You only have to look at the opposition from schools and even worse, parents, when Jamie Oliver tried to improve school dinners, both here and in the USA,

The USA one was fascinating, teachers saying it was no good giving kids the ordinary milk because the kids always chose the sugar filled chocolate ones.

As Jamie said, when did the world change so much that the kids make the decisions.

Next minute they are hyper and / or obese and need treatment.

It's unbelievable what we do to our kiddies really, they are fed pure crap and expected to grow up fit and healthy.

Is it just me, or is there some perverse irony in the article that kicked this off? It claims that pharmaceutical firms create diseases to sell more drugs, but if you follow the links to the sources the author used, there are sites trying to flog their natural remedies.

I fail to see the difference.

I remember my ex deceased Mother In law who rarely handed out compliments said to me when we met and they came to ours to stay 'that at least I could cook, as so many couldn't. That was back in 1985'

It got worse since then. Children ofcourse have dislikes. If they bought up on nothing but 'tosh' then that is all there body will know and healthy their bodies won't be used too.

Bring them up with healthy food with treats yes, then you have a better idea of what is going on, if they have health problems

I wonder how many who are questioning have any actual relevant qualifications to do so? Personally if a person I loved was suffering from a complaint identified by a highly qualified professional, I would want all the medical help that science could offer to help them. Of course people are within their rights to disbelieve what they like and refuse medical treatment in place of a run round the park or a salad, that is upto them as much as believing that the world is only 6000 years old. It is a free country.