FAO Nobby | Vital Football

FAO Nobby

LancsGordoRoad

Vital Champions League
Sorry to hear about your colleague in Croydon, Nobby.

Increased pressure to avoid searching people in the street seems to be a factor in the officer losing their life. Noticed too that there wasn`t much coverage in the media yesterday about the eleven Met firearms officers who were hospitalised following the drugs raid in Barnet.

Don`t know why anyone would want to do the job these days. Never thought i`d ever say it, but if I was in a position of being asked advice about joining from a son/daughter or relative, i`d actually answer truthfully and in what some (I would have done) might see as over-stepping prerogative, would advise against it.

We live in a sad and warped world where people in this country have a meltdown about the killing of a career criminal high on drugs 4000 miles away, but a lot of people barely seem to bat an eyelid when completely innocent people are knifed to death on our own doorstep.

I very much doubt those who are so concerned with police brutality in the States will be too bothered about this terrible incident in Croydon. I hope those politicians and public figures who have slated our police in recent times (including some pathetic attention seeking stunts conducted for Social Media to discredit our police officers) and those who have campaigned to decrease our police powers, such as trying to reduce or remove the completely necessary and correct use of stop and search to target criminals, should hang their heads in shame today.

RIP to the officer. Our thoughts are with his family, friends and colleagues.

Apparently it was a couple of "Specials" who had arrested him. Custody suite is normally super safe compared to elsewhere. Perhaps inexperience of the officers led to this tragedy being able to occur. I'm surprised that a couple of Specials were in this situation. Seems wrong that they were in such a perilous place. I'd question the use of Specials without an experienced officer with them. Anyway, this is speculation so can't make any definitive judgements now.

My close contact doesn't subscribe to the "too scared to search in the street" argument as she does it daily in central London.

Seems the perpetrator tried to shoot himself. My contact says that much of her time is spent dealing with mentally ill/drug addicts.

ST's sweeping comments predictably OTT and somewhat ill informed.

Apparently it was a couple of "Specials" who had arrested him. Custody suite is normally super safe compared to elsewhere. Perhaps inexperience of the officers led to this tragedy being able to occur. I'm surprised that a couple of Specials were in this situation. Seems wrong that they were in such a perilous place. I'd question the use of Specials without an experienced officer with them. Anyway, this is speculation so can't make any definitive judgements now.

My close contact doesn't subscribe to the "too scared to search in the street" argument as she does it daily in central London.

Seems the perpetrator tried to shoot himself. My contact says that much of her time is spent dealing with mentally ill/drug addicts.

ST's sweeping comments predictably OTT and somewhat ill informed.

Please explain what specific parts of my comment are ill informed. I'd sooner back the Police and speak out against those who rally against it - which has reached epidemic proportions, no pun intended, in recent times - than spread speculation and rumour at this early stage.

Please explain what specific parts of my comment are ill informed. I'd sooner back the Police and speak out against those who rally against it - which has reached epidemic proportions, no pun intended, in recent times - than spread speculation and rumour at this early stage.
I won't bother with an essay as it isn't worth it but put simply, as in my own case, one can be concerned about injustices wherever they are and a massive supporter of the police in this country who has the closest of relatives currently serving in London. Your diatribe read like the DM.

Ps, reasonable criticism of me for speculating at this early stage. My point was that officers may be being put into situations that are not justified and leave them more vulnerable than necessary.

Last edited:
Cheers Lancs, there may be more to this story to come out in the next few days if what I am hearing is correct but can't add anything at this stage.

Been a horrible few days, lost a member of my team last week (35 years old with two kids under 3 years) in a motorcycle collision then came in at 6 this morning to be told this tragic news.
RIP Sarge 😪

I am not going to speculate on this tragic case but there is clearly a general disconnect between the "freedom fighters" most concerned about civil liberties and their right not to be searched, that are always ready to paint the police and current law in a bad light, and the need to keep the likes of shop and public transport workers, emergency service workers and the general public safe.

Hence why you get idiots willing to wreck shops and act in a threatening manner just because they are asked to follow a one way system or consider wearing a mask to protect lives.

Brings to mind the final words in a version of Paul Hardcastle's "19" - Was it all worth it ?

We live in a sad and warped world where people in this country have a meltdown about the killing of a career criminal high on drugs 4000 miles away, but a lot of people barely seem to bat an eyelid when completely innocent people are knifed to death on our own doorstep.

I very much doubt those who are so concerned with police brutality in the States will be too bothered about this terrible incident in Croydon. I hope those politicians and public figures who have slated our police in recent times (including some pathetic attention seeking stunts conducted for Social Media to discredit our police officers) and those who have campaigned to decrease our police powers, such as trying to reduce or remove the completely necessary and correct use of stop and search to target criminals, should hang their heads in shame today.

RIP to the officer. Our thoughts are with his family, friends and colleagues.

For what it`s worth ST, I don`t agree with Gills 58 comment about your post : "ST's sweeping comments predictably OTT and somewhat ill informed. "

I believe many people, including a great many police officers, agree absolutely with your sentiment and it`s not ill-informed.

Cheers Lancs, there may be more to this story to come out in the next few days if what I am hearing is correct but can't add anything at this stage.

Been a horrible few days, lost a member of my team last week (35 years old with two kids under 3 years) in a motorcycle collision then came in at 6 this morning to be told this tragic news.
RIP Sarge 😪

Sorry too to hear about your team member. Seems the custody skipper concerned was near to retirement - very sad. What annoys me is that over the next few days we`ll no doubt be hearing the usual platitudes from the usual politicians who then go on to do nothing about fortifying the fight against crime and retreat back into sniping from the sidelines.

With hundreds of illegals entering the country daily , things are only going to get worse im afraid.
We have been warned , whether we heed the the warnings is another matter. Certain folk are determined to wreck the country , and will continue to encourage hate towards our police and military.

I won't bother with an essay as it isn't worth it but put simply, as in my own case, one can be concerned about injustices wherever they are and a massive supporter of the police in this country who has the closest of relatives currently serving in London. Your diatribe read like the DM.

Ps, reasonable criticism of me for speculating at this early stage. My point was that officers may be being put into situations that are not justified and leave them more vulnerable than necessary.

My criticism isn't of people like you then, 58 if you back the Police. My problem is with those who we have increasingly seen recently - politicians, "celebrities" and other public figures - who seem to want to conflate the almost quasi-military approach to Policing in the US with our own Police, who are the best in the world and nothing like those in the States, and present a joined-up anti-Police message. For example, pathetic set-ups and stunts by anti-Police MPs have only escalated the recent discrediting of our Police.

We have seen completely innocent people stabbed to death in brutal murders in Reading, Birmingham and other places, which got a tiny fraction of the attention - whether it be from the MSM, politicians or public figures - of a career criminal high on drugs being killed 4,000 miles away (not that there is any excusing such a brutal murder). The priorities of many in this country seem to be completely warped, in my opinion. As you say, it's too early to speculate to the specific facts of this tragedy, but it has occurred to the backdrop of our police being attacked and disrespected more and more, so sadly this tragedy is not a surprise.

Valencia, I think that the main issue is a general domestic break down and disrespect for law and good order. The increased violence against police is widespread and not confined to any particular sections of society - though it would probably be accurate to say that most assaults on police are committed by younger people (under 35`s). It`s a society problem, a domestic problem. I respect your right to hold whatever views you feel appropriate, but please could we keep this thread in basic context. Murder of police officers and discourse on lack of domestic cohesion.

With hundreds of illegals entering the country daily , things are only going to get worse im afraid.
We have been warned , whether we heed the the warnings is another matter. Certain folk are determined to wreck the country , and will continue to encourage hate towards our police and military.
Please don’t continue down this line.
There’s no need for it.
There’s enough hate about without stirring things up.

Desperate event and it leaves an overwhelming feeling of sadness and anger. Sadness for the officer and those close to him, anger at the senseless loss of life. I don't know the details of the case, I have no sense that it was brought on by any enemy and hate is no part of my reaction.

My criticism isn't of people like you then, 58 if you back the Police. My problem is with those who we have increasingly seen recently - politicians, "celebrities" and other public figures - who seem to want to conflate the almost quasi-military approach to Policing in the US with our own Police, who are the best in the world and nothing like those in the States, and present a joined-up anti-Police message. For example, pathetic set-ups and stunts by anti-Police MPs have only escalated the recent discrediting of our Police.

We have seen completely innocent people stabbed to death in brutal murders in Reading, Birmingham and other places, which got a tiny fraction of the attention - whether it be from the MSM, politicians or public figures - of a career criminal high on drugs being killed 4,000 miles away (not that there is any excusing such a brutal murder). The priorities of many in this country seem to be completely warped, in my opinion. As you say, it's too early to speculate to the specific facts of this tragedy, but it has occurred to the backdrop of our police being attacked and disrespected more and more, so sadly this tragedy is not a surprise.
"celebrities" and other public figures - who seem to want to conflate the almost quasi-military approach to Policing in the US with our own Police"

I know exactly what you're driving at and coincidentally, I was approached by a member of the public today who wanted to pass on his condolences for our loss of a colleague. I thanked him and as he walked off he said "I wonder if Ashley Banjo will do a dance about him?"

I'm saying nothing. 🤫

Desperate event and it leaves an overwhelming feeling of sadness and anger. Sadness for the officer and those close to him, anger at the senseless loss of life. I don't know the details of the case, I have no sense that it was brought on by any enemy and hate is no part of my reaction.
Me too, just feel anger and sadness 😞

I agree with you about (a very small) number of people who claim our police are like those in the USA as if we have the same problem. There is no comparison. I'm not saying the police here are faultless but they are wonderful compared to some of the meatheads we've seen in operation in the USA.

I don't know anyone in my "leftie" world who is anything other than appalled at events such as today's killing.

As I said, I have the closest of relatives serving in the Met and am very proud of her (you don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to work out the relationship). As it happens, her best mate in the force has ended up on crutches this week with a cut thigh and muscle damage. She and her colleague were attacked by some members of the public whilst trying to arrest a knifeman. I kid you not. Firearms had to come to the rescue.

RIP

Am I allowed to be sad about the death of this police officer and George Floyd?

The massive majority will be sad about the news of both deaths mentioned in this post. It's not helpful trying to divide and stir things up further.

Nobby, in regards to your comment about Ashley Banjo from a member of the public, Banjo comes across a nice, humble chap and he's a dancer not a gangster. I'm sure Banjo and other black people who have campaigned for black lives matter will not be happy or celebrating another police officer's death. Okay he might not do a dance for this officer but he's naturally gonna stand up for a cause which is close to his heart the same as I would expect you to feel perhaps more pain when a fellow police officer has died.

Any death is a tragedy.
Totally agree, every death is a tragedy, moreover when so close to home though IMO. As I said, they were the words of a member if the public and, as I also said, I'm making no comment.
I will wager though that this brave officers name will be forgotten by the general public long before George Floyd's. Sad but true 😒