FAO Nobby | Vital Football

FAO Nobby

valenciagill

Vital Football Hero
I saw some footage earlier of a robbery , said to be in Southend , of a group of thieves running through a shop unopposed, snatching items in a somewhat coordinated operation.
The article suggests it has happened before.
If this is true , then it sounds like the local constabulary has an urgent case on their hands !

I saw some footage earlier of a robbery , said to be in Southend , of a group of thieves running through a shop unopposed, snatching items in a somewhat coordinated operation.
The article suggests it has happened before.
If this is true , then it sounds like the local constabulary has an urgent case on their hands !

That would be the Curry's there. There's a big problem with crime in Southend right now. Especially knife and drug crime. Couple of kids were stabbed in Chalkwell Park on Friday, not far from Nobby. Gangs with weapons are regularly have tiffs. Even The Last Post had a huge fight outside on the first night it reopened after the lockdown. Glad I've moved back to Strood!

This sort of thing has been happening for many years in London; pretty common at the Elephant & Castle shopping centre - they (the thieves) used to call it "steaming" - don`t know if that expression is used these days. It`s probably now known by a far more liberal term, "social browsing" , maybe ?

This sort of thing has been happening for many years in London; pretty common at the Elephant & Castle shopping centre - they (the thieves) used to call it "steaming" - don`t know if that expression is used these days. It`s probably now known by a far more liberal term, "social browsing" , maybe ?

Nick and collect?

Whatever it's called these days , it's very brazen.

It`s contemptuous too; the thugs know they`ll be unchallenged and consider police as ineffective and socially scorned. The "steaming" that I alluded to was/is often carried out by large groups of 30, 40 or 50 youths at a time.

We have some people who do similar at my tesco. We know the main culprits so don't let them in anymore. They now send others to do it for them so we now 'detain' some of them which we normally don't bother doing for the other shop lifters.

Edit: not the same quantity of people you're talking about - normally 3 but it is only an express store.

Last edited:
It`s contemptuous too; the thugs know they`ll be unchallenged and consider police as ineffective and socially scorned. The "steaming" that I alluded to was/is often carried out by large groups of 30, 40 or 50 youths at a time.

The first time I heard the word 'steaming' used in this context , if I recall correctly , was at the Notting Hill Carnival many years ago.
Gangs running through crowds , mugging multiple victims by snatching belongings.

That would be the Curry's there. There's a big problem with crime in Southend right now. Especially knife and drug crime. Couple of kids were stabbed in Chalkwell Park on Friday, not far from Nobby. Gangs with weapons are regularly have tiffs. Even The Last Post had a huge fight outside on the first night it reopened after the lockdown. Glad I've moved back to Strood!
The stabbings in Chalkwell have caused a bit of a stir as it happened in what is considered to be a quiet, even posh part of town. The old town in Leigh is having problems too, youths again, having outdoor partiesbecause the pubs have been shut. Old bill had to attend en masse which, as you'llknow, is very unusual in that neck of the woods. I was talking to a local copper who said they can't wait for them all to go back to school as they are causing problems everywhere.
The Curry's thing is slightly different, the suspects have been identified as Eastern Europeans (not political point scoring, just facts) and it has been widespread for some time. There have been video clips of them doing it online for some time.
I don't know whether its boredom but the whole country is seeing a rise in disorder since the pandemic started.

The stabbings in Chalkwell have caused a bit of a stir as it happened in what is considered to be a quiet, even posh part of town. The old town in Leigh is having problems too, youths again, having outdoor partiesbecause the pubs have been shut. Old bill had to attend en masse which, as you'llknow, is very unusual in that neck of the woods. I was talking to a local copper who said they can't wait for them all to go back to school as they are causing problems everywhere.
The Curry's thing is slightly different, the suspects have been identified as Eastern Europeans (not political point scoring, just facts) and it has been widespread for some time. There have been video clips of them doing it online for some time.
I don't know whether its boredom but the whole country is seeing a rise in disorder since the pandemic started.

I'm hearing a lot about Old Leigh the past few months. Doesn't sound good what's been going on down there. Needs the locals to get rid of the scum down there maybe. Should hopefully get better when the lockdown is over, and things return to normal. The yobs know the police have their hands full, and so know they will get away with a lot more now. Normality please!

I'm hearing a lot about Old Leigh the past few months. Doesn't sound good what's been going on down there. Needs the locals to get rid of the scum down there maybe. Should hopefully get better when the lockdown is over, and things return to normal. The yobs know the police have their hands full, and so know they will get away with a lot more now. Normality please!

I was born in Old Leigh - in those days it was a proper fishing village. Lived in a tiny cottage, as basic as you could imagine. Now these are ultra trendy. It was always a magnet at weekends for people invading our pubs - lots of Saturday night punch ups. Eventually I crossed the river and found the Gills. Old Leigh is still a fantastic place to visit.

I was born in Old Leigh - in those days it was a proper fishing village. Lived in a tiny cottage, as basic as you could imagine. Now these are ultra trendy. It was always a magnet at weekends for people invading our pubs - lots of Saturday night punch ups. Eventually I crossed the river and found the Gills. Old Leigh is still a fantastic place to visit.
You're not wrong about the cottages, we're looking at moving and viewed one last week. Tiny one bedroom job, hardly any garden and facing right onto the railway line and needed some work done to it, Bloody £350k 😳

Steaming used to be done on the tube in London. Charge through carriages then off at the next stop.

Steaming was common during the depression in the US, maybe earlier for all I know. I found a report on a West Ham visit to Portsmouth in 1929 for an FA Cup game, which mentioned the practice but not the term. Scotland Yard chappies accompanied the Hammers fans to help control and identify known gangs. Crooks are just as inventive and imitative as the rest of us.