Fao Farmer Imp re Training ground Pitch! | Page 2 | Vital Football

Fao Farmer Imp re Training ground Pitch!

Reading the thread on the Sincil Bank pitch can you give us a report on the state of the training ground pitches as they are due to be used shortly? Are they ready for using?
Pitch 1 (nearest Welton Lane and the building) will be turfed on Thursday and Friday so will be ready to use at the end of next week. The other two pitches are in final destoning and stone burial phases and sand spreading is also going on a pace ready for seeding next week. Pop up irrigation linked to the water tank which is fed by my cousins reservoir has also been laid and working on pitch one ready to water the new turf.

So all good and on track. Danny, Nicky, Liam and a few others from the club came up today for an update and to see first hand progress and all is good with them.

Last edited:
i thought the same group were working on all the pitches. surprised they didn't get the new pitches and the pitch at sincil bank on the same timeline. if anything, the new pitches are needed before the sincil bank pitch, but it sounds like they are way behind.
Talbots have done the stadium pitch too. As you have seen on here it has been re seeded so needs a few weeks to be ready for the upcoming friendlies but Jim the Groundsman has it all under control. Top top man by the way.

Pitch 1 (nearest Welton Lane and the building) will be turfed on Thursday and Friday so will be ready to use at the end of next week. The other two pitches are in final destoning and stone burial phases and sand spreading is also going on a pace ready for seeding next week. Pop up irrigation linked to the water tank which is fed by my cousins reservoir has also been laid and working on pitch one ready to water the new turf.

So all good and on track. Danny, Nicky, Liam and a few others from the club came up today for an update and to see first hand progress and all is good with them.

Re Pitch one being ready for use within 1 week of turfing - is that right? Would have thought it still wasn't 'secured' enough to have use that quick.

Some very good photos there, great to see the effort going in to the facility. You are like an owl Farmer Imp, with the hours you operate.

We appreciate the Heath is free draining and stony and therefore has to be turfed rather than seeded. Is there any concern that the stones might work through to the surface? What is the guesstimate for how much irrigation water is expected to be used each year?

Some very good photos there, great to see the effort going in to the facility. You are like an owl Farmer Imp, with the hours you operate.

We appreciate the Heath is free draining and stony and therefore has to be turfed rather than seeded. Is there any concern that the stones might work through to the surface? What is the guesstimate for how much irrigation water is expected to be used each year?

Stones to the surface, lke when the Swanpool football pitches were first introduced in the 80's. It was more like playing on the Ironstone near Bunkers Hill.

We have so much going on at the farm I’m up at 5am and finish at 9pm then have office work to do, I’m lucky I can survive with little sleep!!

No issues with the stones, a huge % have been removed and the rest buried then a good layer of sand has been put on. It’s very difficult to estimate water use but we have done some calculations and groundsman Jim has helped al alot here. We estimate we’ll use 2.7 million gallons a year on all 3 pitches but have an agreement to use 3.5 million with more available if needed. The pitches will use more in the initial stages to get them going. Obviously a wet summer and we’ll use a lot less so god again has a say!!!!

We have so much going on at the farm I’m up at 5am and finish at 9pm then have office work to do, I’m lucky I can survive with little sleep!!

No issues with the stones, a huge % have been removed and the rest buried then a good layer of sand has been put on. It’s very difficult to estimate water use but we have done some calculations and groundsman Jim has helped al alot here. We estimate we’ll use 2.7 million gallons a year on all 3 pitches but have an agreement to use 3.5 million with more available if needed. The pitches will use more in the initial stages to get them going. Obviously a wet summer and we’ll use a lot less so god again has a say!!!!

Many thanks for all the information, photos and video Farmer Imp. Top Job :clap:

Question for Farmer Imp: during the de-stoning/works any interesting archeological finds? Pottery shards, that kind of thing?

Thankyou Mr Farmer for your update and answering my question and posting pictures on here! Anychance between the show and harvesting that you would post some more in a week or so please!