"fans from all 24 clubs preview the 2018-19 season" | Vital Football

"fans from all 24 clubs preview the 2018-19 season"

Article in The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/02/championship-2018-19-fans-clubs-preview-season

"Wigan Athletic

I’ve seen nothing in our transfer activity to suggest we’re building a team capable of competing in the Championship. We’re close to Manchester United, Liverpool and Manchester City yet we haven’t said to them: “Give us a couple of your youngsters and we’ll give them first-team experience in one of the most competitive leagues in the world.” We’ve gone from winning the FA Cup five years ago to becoming a team that is too good for League One but not good enough for the Championship. Will Grigg is the epitome of this; he made scoring look easy in League One but looked out of his depth in the Championship two seasons ago. We’ll be relegated. Brett"

What a negative fan preview for The Guardian to publish - surely they could've found someone less pessimistic?

Last edited:
Article in The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/02/championship-2018-19-fans-clubs-preview-season

"Wigan Athletic

I’ve seen nothing in our transfer activity to suggest we’re building a team capable of competing in the Championship. We’re close to Manchester United, Liverpool and Manchester City yet we haven’t said to them: “Give us a couple of your youngsters and we’ll give them first-team experience in one of the most competitive leagues in the world.” We’ve gone from winning the FA Cup five years ago to becoming a team that is too good for League One but not good enough for the Championship. Will Grigg is the epitome of this; he made scoring look easy in League One but looked out of his depth in the Championship two seasons ago. We’ll be relegated. Brett"

What a negative fan preview for The Guardian to publish - surely they could've found someone less pessimistic?

Brett is now getting annihilated on Twitter. Don't be like Brett

I thought it might be a joint piece of work....... between you and Notts. ?

To be fair, he makes you sound cheery, and full of hope for the future!

Brett do you think kids from Man utd and Liverpool will keep us up?
They tend not to be anywhere near as good as people talk them up to be. The hoover up all the decent kids at an early age the spew them out when they are old enough to be loaned or sold
We may have some youngsters our self that may step up

If you add other names to the list e.g. Power, Byrne, Burn, Jacobs, Massey, Dunkley, even Morsy - none of them are proven at Championship level - hardly get the adrenaline pumping, do they? OK, we all think Cooky is a decent manager, but, again, he's unproven at the higher level. I would say Brett has a point.

It takes a newspaper of good quality to get to the heart of the matter rather than acquiesce to the right wing nationalists who seem to peddle fake news through the gutter press, such as the Sun and Mail etc.

Last edited:
Yaaaayyy........... It's like the Genie of the Message Board............ Write his name, and ALACAZAM........ He pops up!!!!
?

If you add other names to the list e.g. Power, Byrne, Burn, Jacobs, Massey, Dunkley, even Morsy - none of them are proven at Championship level - hardly get the adrenaline pumping, do they? OK, we all think Cooky is a decent manager, but, again, he's unproven at the higher level. I would say Brett has a point.

It takes a newspaper of good quality to get to the heart of the matter rather than acquiesce to the right wing nationalists who seem to peddle fake news through the gutter press, such as the Sun and Mail etc.

Without trying to get too political the Guardian is the left wing version of the right wing papers mentioned and has printed it's fair share on nonsense. All the press is biased one way or another (some more than others), but the Guardian is as far left as the Mail is right, both can't claim they are innocent when it comes to peddling their narrative and both more activists than journalists. Best to avoid both to be honest - i'd certainly not put either of them in the good quality category.

Back to the actual topic - they must've gone out of their way to find the most negative Wigan fan imaginable - fair enough having some concerns but surely you don't resign yourself to relegation before a ball has been kicked or the window shut. He says why haven't we asked for loans from the big clubs when we've signed Chelseas young player of the year, one of the best young keepers in the country, tried to get Woodburn from Liverpool and hopefully could have a couple of top prospects from Everton arriving. Also does he think that no other club in the country asks for Prem loans and it's an untapped market and a clever suggestion? We've probably had loads of loan requests rejected that we never even hear about - if it was that easy the club would've already done it. The fact we've been trying and still trying to get these loans in the door shows how hard it is and that it was a bit of a silly comment.

Last edited:
Sorry to correct you, but the Guardian has never been left wing. It is a Liberal paper historically. For you to say it is ' left wing' tells me more about your views than anything else. It's all about perception.

First thing I thought of reading that was the usual suspects on here bursting a blood vessel. Bravo Brett, have a virtual handshake.