Fans Forum | Page 8 | Vital Football

Fans Forum

Time to try something different. Maybe it will be Sunday with a couple of enforced changes...

In Morsys absence i'd like to see Macleod given a chance as Evans has been given plenty of chances this season and not really shown enough overall to walk in. While Macleod hasn't had a sniff since Preston where he was one of the better performers of a bad bunch.

In Morsys absence i'd like to see Macleod given a chance as Evans has been given plenty of chances this season and not really shown enough overall to walk in. While Macleod hasn't had a sniff since Preston where he was one of the better performers of a bad bunch.
Macleod has not been played in the right position. He’s not a defensive midfield player. He needs to play further forward

In that case why did we sign him when with so many other options there?
I’d like to see him play behind the striker or as one of the midfield sitters but with licence to go forward. This will require a change in emphasis from the manager but what have we got to lose? All I’m suggesting is a slight tweak to the midfield area

I think Evans, MacLeod and even Morsy are better going forward. Williams holding and 2 midfield runners would work better for me. Midfielders don’t necessarily have to make direct runs towards goal and can drift wide to link up with full backs as well as getting in the box. We just seem far too rigid and one dimensional to me.

Been speaking to a mate this week who’s head of recruitment at a prem club. Asked him about Gelhardt, his response was that he’s being watched by every club in the prem and that he expects a bidding war in Jan or next summer. He said our youth system is red hot at the moment.

Been speaking to a mate this week who’s head of recruitment at a prem club. Asked him about Gelhardt, his response was that he’s being watched by every club in the prem and that he expects a bidding war in Jan or next summer. He said our youth system is red hot at the moment.
All these Prem clubs will be looking at the England U18 set up and wondering why the best player is with little old Wigan. He needs to stay with us pick up valuable experience where he will be playing proper football and then make the step up after a couple of years. He’ll be worth double to us. But let us enjoy a home grown boy who has come up the ranks it’s a fairytale story for all fans

I think Evans, MacLeod and even Morsy are better going forward. Williams holding and 2 midfield runners would work better for me. Midfielders don’t necessarily have to make direct runs towards goal and can drift wide to link up with full backs as well as getting in the box. We just seem far too rigid and one dimensional to me.
We must be gaining the title as the most boring negative side in the league.
Such a shame, we were so much better to watch pre Martinez. He brought in the one up top disease.

All these Prem clubs will be looking at the England U18 set up and wondering why the best player is with little old Wigan. He needs to stay with us pick up valuable experience where he will be playing proper football and then make the step up after a couple of years. He’ll be worth double to us. But let us enjoy a home grown boy who has come up the ranks it’s a fairytale story for all fans
Inevitably we will lose him for peanuts. Odds on he will go and be out on loan to Derby or Forrest etc and straight in the starting lineup.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit with these clowns in charge!

No way they'll sell him for peanuts they are spending 1m a month to covering costs they will need to maximise all player sales to try and balance the books a bit. If we ever start him and he becomes a regular scorer you'll be talking 7 figures. But to raise his value he needs to get more game time as potential is a lot cheaper than players already delivering at his age.

Just catching up and the midfield posts are interesting... Absolutely right Macleod hasn't had a fair crack. I really rate Evans but I prefer him in a more attacking role to defensive midfield. When Morsy was on loan at Barnsley, they played him further up and he did well for them in that role. Not to mention the out and out attacking midfielders like Lowe and Windass...

The problem is we may as well not bother playing any creative or attacking midfielders. If you're just gong to lump long balls over their heads for 90 minutes, we'd be better playing six in defence, two defensive midfielders and have two up front to try to pick up something from the long balls. Ugly, horrible formation, but it would suit the ugly, horrible football Cook's trying (and failing) to play.

Our 'style of play' (I use the term loosely) is awful and the formation and 'tactics' (again, used loosely) are mismatched with it. The team selection is another complete mystery. Does Cook just draw names out of a hat? Where is Bright Enobakhare? Where's Dujon Sterling? Joffy getting a couple of minutes at the end occasionally, Macleod rarely seen... Those are good players who could bring some creativity and intensity and spark to our game. That's probably why he won't pick them.

On the subject of the fans' forum, I'm not going to bother. The club don't want thinking fans to ask real questions. What they want is 'Henskis' to tell them how great they are then report that it was a massive success and that the fans are satisfied with how things are going... Well the realists amongst us aren't satisfied. I for one won't be satisfied until I see some proper football, which I haven't seen more than a handful of times for a year and a half.

Last edited:
Just catching up and the midfield posts are interesting... Absolutely right Macleod hasn't had a fair crack. I really rate Evans but I prefer him in a more attacking role to defensive midfield. When Morsy was on loan at Barnsley, they played him further up and he did well for them in that role. Not to mention the out and out attacking midfielders like Lowe and Windass...

The problem is we may as well not bother playing any creative or attacking midfielders. If you're just gong to lump long balls over their heads for 90 minutes, we'd be better playing six in defence, two defensive midfielders and have two up front to try to pick up something from the long balls. Ugly, horrible formation, but it would suit the ugly, horrible football Cook's trying (and failing) to play.

Our 'style of play' (I use the term loosely) is awful and the formation and 'tactics' (again, used loosely) are mismatched with it. The team selection is another complete mystery. Does Cook just draw names out of a hat? Where is Bright Enobakhare? Where's Dujon Sterling? Joffy getting a couple of minutes at the end occasionally, Macleod rarely seen... Those are good players who could bring some creativity and intensity and spark to our game. That's probably why he won't pick them.

On the subject of the fans' forum, I'm not going to bother. The club don't want thinking fans to ask real questions. What they want is 'Henskis' to tell them how great they are then report that it was a massive success and that the fans are satisfied with how things are going... Well the realists amongst us aren't satisfied. I for one won't be satisfied until I see some proper football, which I haven't seen more than a handful of times for a year and a half.

Sterling will get start as soon as Byrne gets 5th yellow so could be in against Derby. We desperetly need some decent delivery from right back so the position is there for him to take if he's up to it.

I believe Bright has been injured and just coming back in u23 game this week. I think he's very raw but got the ability to pull out something from nothing so I'd have him on bench every game for that aspect once ready.

Sterling will get start as soon as Byrne gets 5th yellow so could be in against Derby. We desperetly need some decent delivery from right back so the position is there for him to take if he's up to it.

I believe Bright has been injured and just coming back in u23 game this week. I think he's very raw but got the ability to pull out something from nothing so I'd have him on bench every game for that aspect once ready.
Some decent delivery from a winger would be greatly appreciated.