Fan View v Derby | Vital Football

Fan View v Derby

dazza71

Alert Team
Casilla 7
Hard to mark him up or down. He had very little to do apart from a bit of catching practice from crosses.

Ayling 7
More defensive minded than his usual galloping forward. He did however get into a couple of really good positions but failed to produce a telling cross.

Cooper 8
Immense in the centre. He won everything that came his way.

Berardi 8 Star Man
Ask him to play in goal and I bet he would be an 8 out of 10. He came in for Jansson and like his central defensive partner, he didn't give Derby a sniff. They had one half chance early on but he was there to get the block in. What will Bielsa do if Jansson is fit for Wednesday?

Dallas 8
He played his part in the goal and he had a good game on the left. He was always an outlet and he came close to opening the scoring in the first half.

Forshaw 5
Replaced early on. No disrespect to him, but it was probably the best thing that happened.

Phillips 8
He won his battle with Mount in the centre of midfield.

Hernandez 6
A very quiet game from the little Spaniard.

Roofe 8
He worked hard throughout against two big lads at the heart of the Derby defence. A really well taken goal.

Harrison 8
A sublime cross for the only goal of the game. He was always involved.

Klich 7
A lucky boy not to see red. I'm glad the ref booked him or he would be getting a retrospective ban, that I am sure from the corrupt EFL.

Subs

Shackleton 8
The substitution that changed the game in my opinion. He gave us much more impetus going forward. This performance showed why he should have had more game time this season.

Clarke 5
He struggled to make an impact late on as Derby looked for an equaliser.

Summary
An unbelievable transformation from more or less the same team that lost at Ipswich the previous week.

After seeing out the first 15 minutes of Derby pressure, Leeds controlled the game for long periods and the only criticism of the performance is we didn't add one or two more. Because of that, the tie is far from over. Derby will now come to Leeds as huge underdogs with absolutely nothing to lose. They have plenty of pace going forward and I can see Marriott starting if Waghorn still isn't fit. If Waghorn is fit, he will give Derby a different attacking problem for Leeds.

First goal is going to be massive at Elland Road.

Referee
I actually thought he was poor. The only two things he did well was to play an advantage before the goal and actually listening to his linesman after giving the penalty. For me it was a goal kick. Bogle hasn't done enough to foul Harrison and the Leeds winger has just had an air shot and missed everything.

He continously gave easy free-kicks but then would let fouls go. Both Klich and Huddlestone were lucky to stay on the pitch. How can he see them as only yellow cards. One is an headbutt into the chest and the other is a forearm smash long after the ball has gone.

Fans
A great day out and whoever came up with the Frank Lampard song should take a bow.

With my awful record at Elland Road, I have decided to stay away from the second leg on Wednesday. I'm too superstitous to risk it.

Ayling got himself in two wonderful positions to create a goal. One where he pulled the ball back and the other where he played it across the six yard box. Both were bad decisions and the opposite would have led to a goal but I thought in general he looked very good.
As for Berra, who could disagree with your assessment.
Great report Daz and we all would like to extend our thanks to you for not going to ER for the second leg. :clap:

I thought we had the best of the first 15 and the last 15. The hour in between belonged to the you. We can't complain at losing this one based on play.

The ref let a lot go and that, IMO, led to the raft of cards late on. If he had done his job properly from the off. Here are a few things he got wrong.

Tomori. Double footed, straight legged dive on the ball. The ref spoke to him. He got away with this one because the nearest DYS player was a good 2 yards away from the ball. Anther ref, another day and he might have seen red.

The head butt. That was red all day according to the Laws of the game..

Huddlestone. Forearm into a Leeds neck. Only yellow and fortunate IMO.

The that non-penalty. The incident happened and the ref gave a spot kick. I smiled and thought "this makes up for some of the ones that got away earlier this season". Then the assistant put his oar in and the decision was reversed. They then showed a replay and I changed my mind. It looked like Bogle got his hip and leg between player and ball, the player then tried to kick the ball but took Bogle'sleft leg instead. The ref's first thoughts were right. Had that in the centre circle happened it would have been a direct free kick so, IMO, it was a penalty.

The ref wasn't as bad as the one I saw earlier in the afternoon in the Dortmund v Dusseldorf game. He awarded a penalty that wasn't. When the taker made contact with the ball, the keeper was 4 yards off his line. The taker put it wide. Kick not retaken. Unbelievable Jeff.

As I predicted, you muscled Wilson out of the game and he was totally ineffective. Same with Lawrence to a lesser degree. We basically played you with 9 men. The return will tell us a lot about FL and tactics. If he starts both of them again then he hasn't learnt a thing. Your "style" virtually takes both players out of the game. I said start without them, I feel I was right.

At Elland Road we have to go at you. Sitting back as we did for an hour will be no more than signing our own Dexit papers.

We CAN do this but not if we start with Tom and Harry. Not that they aren't good players but with a horses for courses mentality they aren't suited to this course.

The right team won on the day. I hope that happens on Wednesday as well and that it is us. We are getting closer to you. 4-1, 2-0, 1-0.... who knows?

I'll miss my carer on Weds but glad to see he has done the honourable thing. He hasn't got a good record at Wembley so wondering if he'll do the same again if we get there.
Bielsa did a smart move before the game which meant 'fall over if a breeze touches you Derby' wouldn't profit from this poor tactic (although Villa have taken it to a whole new level). I would love to be singing Stop crying Frank Lampard on Weds but know Derby can play a lot better . Advantage us. Can Fat Frank do something he has failed to do so far and out think Bielsa.

I was offered a ticket earlier. Desperate to go but I just can't do it.

To be fair, I was in the winning end the last time we were at Wembley.

This still shows, IMO, that it actually was a foul that should have resulted in Derby getting a penalty. I would also like to say that the better team on the day won, have only themselves to blame that it wasn't by more and..... the tie isn't over yet but we have to stop giving you way too much respect and we have to use Wilson and Lawrence from the bench against the more physical sides rather than from the start. The ref should have shown "head butt man" red and, later on, Huddlestone for his forearm smash on one of your players. I hope we see a good game on Wednesday without the excesses and that the better side over the 2 games goes through.
Leeds.JPG

Do you have a picture of the violent elbow which should have been a sending off or the two footed dangerous lunge which also could have warranted a red for dangerous play.

Btw I read through one of your fans forums about the penalty and about 1/3 of posters thought it was not a penalty.

He clattered in to him from behind as he was trying to play the ball. It's not a penalty though I can see why it would be given by some refs.

Do you have a picture of the violent elbow which should have been a sending off or the two footed dangerous lunge which also could have warranted a red for dangerous play.

Btw I read through one of your fans forums about the penalty and about 1/3 of posters thought it was not a penalty.

No Des I don't but if you had bothered to read my thoughts on the match in an earlier post in this very thread. I said that Huddlestone was fortunate to get away with a yellow. I said that Tomori got away with it simply because the Leeds player going for the ball was 2 yards away and not in danger and that on another day with a different ref he could have got a red card for it.

As for your 2nd point. We got a penalty against WBA in the last game of the League season. about 1/3 of our fans thought that wasn't a penalty either. Nothing new there.

Had I not been measured in my comments over the two posts, you might have had a point Des BUT I had already covered the 2 incidents regarding Derby players in my previous post and said they could have received reds. You're getting angry at the wrong bloke Des.

I sincerely hope we don't see any more WWF like forearm smashes or two footed straight legged tackles or head butts on Wednesday. Leeds are deservedly a goal up at half time. If Derby adopt the same team and tactics Leeds will go on to Wembley as the 2 players I mentioned in my previous post will be no more than passengers and Leeds are hard enough to beat with 11 men and impossible to beat if you ensure that you effectively have 9 against them.

I'm OK with losing when the opposition has been better. So far you have been. No complaints from me on that score.

BTW Des - I also wrote "I would also like to say that the better team on the day won, have only themselves to blame that it wasn't by more and.... "

Hardly the words of someone only here to cause trouble, now, are they?

Not sure where you are seeing any anger, I was just making a point that you posted a picture of a soft but stupid head butt that we all have seen but not of the two violent incidents involving your players.
Nobody has told you not to be here or accusing you of causing trouble.

Not sure where you are seeing any anger, I was just making a point that you posted a picture of a soft but stupid head butt that we all have seen but not of the two violent incidents involving your players.
Nobody has told you not to be here or accusing you of causing trouble.

One of the weaknesses of social media. No facial expressions or body language to nuance the words, If I have misread your post, my apologies.

Do you accept that I had already mentioned the two incidents and that my thoughts are every similar to yours on them. Having alerady said that we were lucky in those, was it really necessary for me to add further balance by posting photos? Not necessesary IMO. The one photo I posted was one I saw online and posted it (yes it covers two incidents but was posted as one photo) to make the point that Bogle had got past your player and had his left leg taken away. That was also what the ref saw. He found it sufficient to award a penalty. His assistant believed he had seen a foul by Bogle, one that even in replay escapes me, but I still don't see it. I do, however, accept it

We accept things and move on. IMO. The tie has you 1 up at half time and is far from over.

Here's to a good game tonight.

He clattered in to him from behind as he was trying to play the ball.

So, your player clattered into our player when your player was trying to play the ball and so it's not a penalty?

You seem to have described exactly what I did. Bogle got between your man and the ball. I have no doubt the defender was trying to play the ball. However, he took Bogle's left leg. Now, that is a penalty...... reversed following intervention by the ref's assistant. That makes it 2-2 in poor decisions. Head butt man should have gone and the penalty should have stood. Huddlestone should have gone and Tomori could have and, as I wrote earlier, got away with it because there wasn't a Leeds player close enough to be put in any danger which is what the ref explained to him shortly after in a break in play. Another ref, another day and he would have had red and we couldn't have complained.

The refs view was not as good as the linesman and that's why rightly or wrongly it was overturned.
Tonight is the night. I won't say good luck.

The refs view was not as good as the linesman and that's why rightly or wrongly it was overturned.
Tonight is the night. I won't say good luck.

Neither will I Des. There's one thing we can agree on. ;)

Let's just have a decent game with the better side winning, even if it's you after the 2 games (which was my prediction).