False No: | Vital Football

False No:

RotherhitheGill

Vital 1st Team Regular
As I don’t watch Premier League football on TV (or for real) so I might not be up to date with football terminology, but when did the phrase “False” No 9 or No 10 come into usage. It’s getting on my tits already with it being referred to in nearly every other game?

As I don’t watch Premier League football on TV (or for real) so I might not be up to date with football terminology, but when did the phrase “False” No 9 or No 10 come into usage. It’s getting on my tits already with it being referred to in nearly every other game?
Agree. Add 'drop zone" and "game day" to the list of b#llocks. Think I've also heard reference to "quarterback" position. Hope it
was only in a bad dream.

Agree. Add 'drop zone" and "game day" to the list of b#llocks. Think I've also heard reference to "quarterback" position. Hope it
was only in a bad dream.
Nope, David Beckham was regularly referred to as excelling in the "quarter back position". To be fair, it was quite a good analogy for those pin point, long, diagonal balls he used to play. Still hate the Americanism though.

Still no idea what a false nine is though 🙄

I've watched a video on this before from Tifo, and it turns out it's actually been around since the 1930s...

Barcelona used to play a 4-3-3, with Messi in the middle and two wingers. Messi would then drop deep, so essentially there would be no centre forward, which confused the hell out of defences, and made tiki taka so popular.

Nope, David Beckham was regularly referred to as excelling in the "quarter back position". To be fair, it was quite a good analogy for those pin point, long, diagonal balls he used to play. Still hate the Americanism though.

I think "taking a knee" started with quarterbacks.*

*I'd just like to indicate that taking the opportunity to make this smart aleck joke in no way reflects whatever position I may, or may not, have regarding events, real or imagined, to which the subject of the crack has no intended resemblance, and that I completely understand, and indeed share, any pain and distress to which the joke may or may not have unintentionally given rise.

I agree reference the premier league but don't have a problem with the false 9 term it seems to fit the tactic and the players who play that role.

I think "taking a knee" started with quarterbacks.*

*I'd just like to indicate that taking the opportunity to make this smart aleck joke in no way reflects whatever position I may, or may not, have regarding events, real or imagined, to which the subject of the crack has no intended resemblance, and that I completely understand, and indeed share, any pain and distress to which the joke may or may not have unintentionally given rise.
Nice caveat, can't see that offending anyone. Perhaps we should all paste it onto the end of every post to avoid any confrontation 😁😁

I've watched a video on this before from Tifo, and it turns out it's actually been around since the 1930s...

Barcelona used to play a 4-3-3, with Messi in the middle and two wingers. Messi would then drop deep, so essentially there would be no centre forward, which confused the hell out of defences, and made tiki taka so popular.

Useful video, I love the "if even Andy Carroll can drop deep......" but. I think he's mugged the boy off a bit there 🤔

False 9. Back in 1956 when I was 7 and football mad, leading up to the Man City v Birmingham City I remember the BBC and newspapers describing Don Revie as a deep lying centre forward. In 1961 Bill Nicholson gave Danny Blanchflower the no. 10 shirt in the away leg of the European Cup against Dukla Prague, then playing him at right half. It goes to show nothing is new they just think of new names to call it.