Fake Noise | Vital Football

Fake Noise

Gilles Lingam

Vital Squad Member
What is the position of the EFL regarding ambient crowd fake noise at matches ?
I understand that it's not an obligation to have it ; but at grounds where it is used does the ref have control over it ? - its volume, for example ?
Could the fake noise be considered a home team advantage ( in some way like the Rainham End sucking the ball in ….) I mean, could fake noise be used to influence the outcome of a game ? And, finally who does this job ? Is it a DJ ? ….
All comments and/or links appreciated !

Is the post in regard to the article on the Facebook page about Karl Robinson moaning about “fake noise”? Actually suggesting our fake crowd might include our fans singing how much we hate him. Brilliant. Steve must have top lodgings in his head 👍

Attachments

• D0A6E1FB-E9EE-4F59-86F2-15DD8BE0B684.jpeg
    D0A6E1FB-E9EE-4F59-86F2-15DD8BE0B684.jpeg
    426.2 KB · Views: 19
Quite liked putting on the headphones yesterday and listening to Doug do the pre match build up (even including a 'Let's hear it for the Giiilllls!') With the laptop in my face the world is shut out and with a bit of crowd noise, it's as near as I can get to actually being there.
Plus, If it upsets Karl Robinson then it's alright by me.

Quite liked putting on the headphones yesterday and listening to Doug do the pre match build up (even including a 'Let's hear it for the Giiilllls!') With the laptop in my face the world is shut out and with a bit of crowd noise, it's as near as I can get to actually being there.
Plus, If it upsets Karl Robinson then it's alright by me.

Is Doug the noisy faker too ? Asking for Gilles Lingam....

Our tannoy system is not good enough to make simple announcements let alone any music or sound affects.I feel sorry for the players having to listen to it.
Incidentally a friend of mine tells me the independent supporters club had raised money to get a new system. But it was turned down by Scally. I believe all they wanted was a acknowledgement from the club.

Last edited:
Our tannoy system is not good enough to make simple announcements let alone any music or sound affects.I feel sorry for the players having to listen to it.
Incidentally a friend of mine tells me the independent supporters club had raised money to get a new system. But it was turned down by Scally. I believe all they wanted was a acknowledgement from the club.
Yes, they wanted to employ the Medway Town Crier but he is known to be injury prone (sore throats).

I personally find the fake crowd noises pointless and cringey - whether it be inside the ground or added to the live coverage - not sure what it is trying to achieve, other than just sounding fake? To be fair to Sky, at first, they were allowing an option for a feed without the fake crowd noises, but they seem to have ditched that now as for yesterday's England match they had coverage on two of their channels and both had the ridiculous fake crowd noises.

What is the position of the EFL regarding ambient crowd fake noise at matches ?
I understand that it's not an obligation to have it ; but at grounds where it is used does the ref have control over it ? - its volume, for example ?
Could the fake noise be considered a home team advantage ( in some way like the Rainham End sucking the ball in ….) I mean, could fake noise be used to influence the outcome of a game ? And, finally who does this job ? Is it a DJ ? ….
All comments and/or links appreciated !
To what fake noise are you referring ?

Like other posters here, I thought that fake noise was being added by broadcasters - not by the stadium.
(....And fans that dislike fake noise dislike it a lot - while supporters seem to be "on balance")

Your question seems to imply that some stadiums are adding fake noise.
Are they ?

If so, I think you'd have to ask the players.
But I could imagine it a major distraction if anything unrelated to play was heard.

As for "Does a DJ do the noise?"
For the PL, I think "yes".
(.....but I wasn't aware that the "crowd" was heard by players and staff).
I read an article by a "DJ" who seemed very proud of his ability to move his sliders in line with the play.

Sadly, for those of us who dislike the fake noise, we notice the frequent disconnect between crowd and play.

I believe the IPL are piping in crowd noise into stadiums at the moment, with the approval of the players

I have heard that story too. I see both points of view on it. I would hope for but not 'expect' acknowledgement if i was to help someone i truly loved. Likewise, if someone helped me i'd certainly look to acknowledge them. But i'd do it privately, and nor would i hope for a 'public' acknowledgement. I suspect this would be scally's argument. He won't appreciate being offered money with 'strings attached'. and nor would I.

Scally has had long term beef with the GISC, namely that he believes they are self serving and not exactly pulling in the same interest as GFC, in fact my understanding is that he believes they are pulling against him personally and/or the club sometimes. As was particularly claimed when Alan Liptrott refused to give the club his www.gillinghamfc.com (is that right) website address. That whole charade 20 years ago wasn't handled well by either party. There were a few other examples at the time too by a few people on the committee of the GISC that I wont repeat for fear of mis remembering all of the facts. One thing I do remember is I remember Tony Hudd (the reporter banned from Priestfield) for supporting Tony Pulis being an invited guest at the GISC annual dinner thing they held the year after we got promotion to the Championship. An odd position given the relationship he had with GFC. It all just supports Scally's opinion really.

There does indeed seem to be a lot of self interest and ego in the GISC. Which clearly doesn't go well against Scally's own ego. They do not like one another, and I would not expect Scally to accept any money from them to be honest.

I do seem to remember a few years ago lots of fans realising this and setting up a separate group to fund raise for the club. But again (and apologies if i'm wrong here), i believe this suffered similar power struggles with the people at the top vs the club.

Last edited: