Face Coverings in Supermarkets | Vital Football

Face Coverings in Supermarkets

ChipButtyBlade

Vital Squad Member
Compulsory from the end of next week,if you refuse then plod will give you a £100 fine,as if plod ain't got enough to do.:police:

Virus began in Feb/Mar,so they have just decided face coverings will help in preventing virus spread in July. :ROFLMAO:

Sheffield_United_Face_Mask_-_2020-06-15_14.19.50.png

Compulsory from the end of next week,if you refuse then plod will give you a £100 fine,as if plod ain't got enough to do.:police:

Virus began in Feb/Mar,so they have just decided face coverings will help in preventing virus spread in July. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 40832

For a start, it wasn't an issue in lockdown, only when we all started mixing again. And the new evidence is that the virus can remain airborne a lot longer than anyone thought. I don't like it, but I can see the reasoning. A lot of people seem to think that Covid-19 is all over and done, but they couldn't be further from the truth.

For a start, it wasn't an issue in lockdown, only when we all started mixing again. And the new evidence is that the virus can remain airborne a lot longer than anyone thought. I don't like it, but I can see the reasoning. A lot of people seem to think that Covid-19 is all over and done, but they couldn't be further from the truth.
There was the period where people were wondering why on earth we were doing literally nothing whilst other countries were in lockdown.

We did nowt until the end of March if I remember rightly. Masks would have been very useful during that time.

Ideally though we would have locked down far earlier, alongside proper mask rules. The irony is that had we done that the infection may have been such that the need for mask wearing gradually fizzled out, as per New Zealand.

We locked down 2 days after Germany. The case for masks isn't clear, but there are lots of people who need a bit of extra confidence to resume life, so why not? There seem to be a lot of 'libertarians' proclaiming how dreadful this is for our personal freedom, but most of them seem to be snobs who wouldn't want to be seen dead wearing a mask, but are happy for the supermarket workers or delivery drivers to wear one all day, every day. We also have to consider that there just weren't enough masks to go around at the time.

The problem with early lockdown is that the way to get past this virus is not to stop people catching C-19, but to allow it to happen in a controlled fashion, so that we could develop immunity without over-running the NHS. That was always the objective. New Zealand have done great in stopping the infection rate, but all it means is that they have a lot more people who can still catch it. You might also say that a sparcely populated group of islands, a few hours flying time from the nearest big populations had a distinct advantage.

Roll on vaccines...

If we had been first into lockdown then many would have complained, Let face it, if you hate the Tories they can never do anything right....that's the BBC view on politics.

We are first to stop travel and ther BBC are bleating. Did you see the couple who returned from Spain to face 14 days without seeing the kids they left at home?

Last edited:
We locked down 2 days after Germany. The case for masks isn't clear, but there are lots of people who need a bit of extra confidence to resume life, so why not? There seem to be a lot of 'libertarians' proclaiming how dreadful this is for our personal freedom, but most of them seem to be snobs who wouldn't want to be seen dead wearing a mask, but are happy for the supermarket workers or delivery drivers to wear one all day, every day. We also have to consider that there just weren't enough masks to go around at the time.

The problem with early lockdown is that the way to get past this virus is not to stop people catching C-19, but to allow it to happen in a controlled fashion, so that we could develop immunity without over-running the NHS. That was always the objective. New Zealand have done great in stopping the infection rate, but all it means is that they have a lot more people who can still catch it. You might also say that a sparcely populated group of islands, a few hours flying time from the nearest big populations had a distinct advantage.

Roll on vaccines...
I would argue the case for masks is clear.

They have to be tested and regulated to ensure they filter to the level that they claim to filter.

I would argue the case for masks is clear.

They have to be tested and regulated to ensure they filter to the level that they claim to filter.

50% of experts argue for them, and 50% of experts argue against, it seems.

The virus itself is too small to be trapped by the fabric, but then the virus is usually attached to a droplet of something that we breath, sneeze or cough out, and the droplets are caught by the fabric. Pays yer money, takes yer choice...

50% of experts argue for them, and 50% of experts argue against, it seems.

The virus itself is too small to be trapped by the fabric, but then the virus is usually attached to a droplet of something that we breath, sneeze or cough out, and the droplets are caught by the fabric. Pays yer money, takes yer choice...
It depends if you're talking about surgical masks, respirators or even cotton ones.

Surgical and cotton, yes I'd probably agree. Respirators, no.

The former filter about 20-30% of the particles in the size range of this particular virus from the studies I've seen. So significantly better than nothing but they can also be pretty useless if you're in a high risk environment.

For most environments faced by the general public though, surgicals will be sufficient because if they do happen to come into contact with the virus, it will most likely be in the form of droplets rather than the virus on its own.

It doesn't seem to be as airborne as things like measles so you would think aerosols of that nature will generally be confined to high risk hospital type environments.

FFP2 (KN95 in China, N95 in the USA) respirators sit at 95% and are tested and regulated to make sure that's a minimum.

FFP3 or N99 are even better at 99%, and these will be the ones that health professionals wear in Covid wards, though they could probably get away with FFP2 if they have a face shield on.

It depends if you're talking about surgical masks, respirators or even cotton ones.

Surgical and cotton, yes I'd probably agree. Respirators, no.

The former filter about 20-30% of the particles in the size range of this particular virus from the studies I've seen. So significantly better than nothing but they can also be pretty useless if you're in a high risk environment.

For most environments faced by the general public though, surgicals will be sufficient because if they do happen to come into contact with the virus, it will most likely be in the form of droplets rather than the virus on its own.

It doesn't seem to be as airborne as things like measles so you would think aerosols of that nature will generally be confined to high risk hospital type environments.

FFP2 (KN95 in China, N95 in the USA) respirators sit at 95% and are tested and regulated to make sure that's a minimum.

FFP3 or N99 are even better at 99%, and these will be the ones that health professionals wear in Covid wards, though they could probably get away with FFP2 if they have a face shield on.
Barney ❤️ FFP

I thought we were talking about the ones that housewives wear in Tesco..?

Most people put them on so badly as to render them pretty useless anyway. However the decision to enforce them is, imo, more to do with behavioural psychologists that it is to do with virologists.

Apparantly the Dutch have now been told to stop wearing masks.

Masks are a difficult subject where facts are less relevant than emotions.

Boris should have locked down earlier , he was weak on it . And the furlough needs to end now , otherwise there’ll be no economy left and we’ll be taxed to our eyeballs forever .

Boris should have locked down earlier , he was weak on it . And the furlough needs to end now , otherwise there’ll be no economy left and we’ll be taxed to our eyeballs forever .
He was two days later then some. If only we'd known but with hingsight then you are correct. Did Sir Help offer any advice at the time?

He was two days later then some. If only we'd known but with hingsight then you are correct. Did Sir Help offer any advice at the time?

Think hes been a disappointment .He’s pissing away a huge majority with weakness and flip flopping . If he doesnt buck his ideas up the backbenchers will start circling , and rightly so . pride ourselves on good governance and firm decision making , not free money and waffle .

Think hes been a disappointment .He’s pissing away a huge majority with weakness and flip flopping . If he doesnt buck his ideas up the backbenchers will start circling , and rightly so . pride ourselves on good governance and firm decision making , not free money and waffle .
Not to me he hasn't. No PM has had to face a country at war since Winston and he didn't do everyything right in the first year.

Its the first pandemic we've faced in a hundred years. He's doing so with a Civil Service being neither civil nor serving, and the whole of the media against him. Unfortunately the advice has been changing as we learn more about Corona, and that has made it a bit confusing as we've gone forward, but Labour said 'Stay home' was confusing.

The key test is Brexit. Boris said he would deliver it, and he has so far. With David Frost in his corner, we don't look to be weak on any point, and will be heading for WTO. Don't underestimate what it is taking to get this done. Once we get to the far side then the Government can start to properly tackle immigration and the economy. Praise the Lord we aren't tied to the nonsense of a Federal Europe.

he’s sadly just a journalist who dropped on against Commie Corbyn . We’re tightening up restrictions again with the economy having barely creaked into action and the spectre of free money furlough being removed . Announcements on twitter or from wet behind the ears ministers , Thatcher would have attended every single one front and centre . That was leadership .

I fear he’ll even bungle brexit and we’ll be paying off his covid follies for generations .