FA Youth Cup | Vital Football

FA Youth Cup

U18s and u23s both doing us proud. I wonder if this crop of youngsters are a happy coincidence or a big driver in IECs decision to buy us.

Let's hope we start to see the lads given some first team chances soon.

FT 4-0 win for the young tics.Another impressive result and we now play Man Utd away in the quarter final.Apparently we played well and could have won by even more.Gelhardts 2nd goal just before half time was a screamer apparently.
Well done lads!!

Leeds took 1600 to Old Trafford tonight. The club needs to market this game to the high hilt! This is an amazing opportunity to get to the semi final! Not saying we could get 1600 there but it would be great if the youth could be backed with some good support

Well done the young boys 👏 Be good if the club could put the next tie on the club’s TV station if not I wonder if United will?

U18s and u23s both doing us proud. I wonder if this crop of youngsters are a happy coincidence or a big driver in IECs decision to buy us.

Let's hope we start to see the lads given some first team chances soon.
There seems to be a lot of crossover in both teams. Are the U23’s basically the U18’s. But with a few overage players allowed?

1st team troubles aside. The youth set-up is really delivering. For me relegation would be a disaster and require a clear out of 1st team players and management. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that. But if it does we have to fully back these youth players with a great coach.

There seems to be a lot of crossover in both teams. Are the U23’s basically the U18’s. But with a few overage players allowed?

1st team troubles aside. The youth set-up is really delivering. For me relegation would be a disaster and require a clear out of 1st team players and management. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that. But if it does we have to fully back these youth players with a great coach.
I think quite a few of them do play in the U23s which probably explains why they are doing so well as they are testing themselves against older players. Let’s be honest we have a couple of diamonds in our U18s in Weir and Joffy. In fact Joffy is probably one of the best if not the best in his age group. He is our secret weapon who is helping to fire us further in the competition. Can you imagine what winning the FA a Youth Cup would do for the profile of our youth set-up? This is what IEC bought into and what Royle probably alerted them to. David Sharpe is probably wondering what might have been if Grandad had stuck with it. Although I’m sure he’s trying to sign our young lads up to his agency if he hasn’t done so already!

I think it's only for the u23s you can have 2 over age players. For the under 18s I believe as long as a player was 18 on the 31st August they can take part in that full u18s campaign regardless of when they turn 19. So Weir and Geldhart who are 17 and 18 can turn out for both u18 and u23 sides but u18s coach doesnt have any over age spots unlike the u23 coach.

They were excellent tonight. To a man, they all shone, but especially the front 5.

Right winger, McGurk will be a belter, ....so skilful, but still quite slight.

Carragher was very solid and calm.

A really, really enjoyable game.

Onto OT.

Edit ......Just make sure you get to see "that" goal.

If they actually host the game at Old Trafford, I'll go. But I suspect with the Europa League returning, Utd will want to play the game at Leigh. Sod going over there to the land of the dead in the middle of nowhere! Hope the club show some balls and insist on Old Trafford.

Cheers for that Jock, I saw him hit it last night but didn't see it go in as I was stood in the pie queue at the time. Typically poor timing from me. :grinning:

Nice to see so many senior players and club officials there, and apparently (didn't see him myself) Paul Scharner was spotted.

I was going to say the same about the first team lads, i bet at 99% of clubs none of the senior pro's would go anywhere near a the youth team game. So to see some of our first team going down to show some support is really good to see.

Hats off in particular to Antonee Robinson, after his dream move collapsed a week a go you'd have thought he'd be understandably feeling sorry for himself and not going out of his way to attend games he's not involved in, but it speaks to his profesionalism that he's turned up for Leeds away and an u18 match.

If they actually host the game at Old Trafford, I'll go. But I suspect with the Europa League returning, Utd will want to play the game at Leigh. Sod going over there to the land of the dead in the middle of nowhere! Hope the club show some balls and insist on Old Trafford.

The LSV is a well appointed, comfortable stadium within easy reach for a lot of Latics fans to attend. I won't comment on your moronic comments about Leigh.

Wouldn't Leigh be much easier to get to for most Latics fans though?

I can understand if people fancy a trip to Old Trafford, but for conveniance and maybe to remove 'home turf' advantage for United I'd be more than happy if the game was at Leigh.