FA Youth Cup u18’s | Page 5 | Vital Football

FA Youth Cup u18’s

At a cost of around £2m a year, Brentford decided it was simply too much of a risk that their academy – with so much competition on its doorstep in London – would produce enough first-team players to make that investment worthwhile. Instead they are focused on recruiting young players between 17 and 20 who have been released by academies in the Premier League, as well as talent from “undervalued markets” overseas.

There recruitment has moved in a different direction, and they appear to make it work. There "B" team as they call it play friendly games against better teams in the UK and abroad which tests the players more than it would in a academy environment. There aim is to have at least one of the "B" squad make the step up into the first team squad every year. Seems to work for them, I would suggest that's all that matters.
Brentford report on match said they had 12 trialists, they must have a have a conveyor belt of players they look at.

Brentford are in the fortunate geographical position of close proximity to Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham, Spurs, Palace and even Southampton Academies, all of whom must release several very good youngsters each year. We are in the much less beneficial area of South Barnsley, Donnie, Chesterfield, Rotherham etc. We do try to get the occasional Man C or Man U cast off, or one from the Liverpool clubs, but we face stiff competition from many more clubs, including those in the Midlands.
We did get Brooksy on his release by City, and Rammers (originally) from Bolton, but most of our “successes” have been local lads like the 2 Kyles, DCL, and big Harry.

I honestly haven’t seen enough of them to have a valid view Rod.
And as we all know.........
Just look at the team sheets of (say) the F.A. U18’s Youth Cup Finals of 5 or 6 years ago, between Chelsea and Man City (the real Academy powerhouses at the time) and see how comparatively few of those players made it into the big time. And their Academies, due to money available, are light years away from ours.
In other words, Rod, I have no idea - although I do harbour hopes (and that’s all it is - hope) with regard to several of our current crop.
I thought you may have heard summat on the grapevine about these 2 Bigglenaldo.UTB

Brentford are in the fortunate geographical position of close proximity to Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham, Spurs, Palace and even Southampton Academies, all of whom must release several very good youngsters each year. We are in the much less beneficial area of South Barnsley, Donnie, Chesterfield, Rotherham etc. We do try to get the occasional Man C or Man U cast off, or one from the Liverpool clubs, but we face stiff competition from many more clubs, including those in the Midlands.
We did get Brooksy on his release by City, and Rammers (originally) from Bolton, but most of our “successes” have been local lads like the 2 Kyles, DCL, and big Harry.

I'm sure Brentford face competition for these youngsters in the South as we do in the North, I would imagine there are many youngsters released I think the knack is identifying them.

We have recently picked up Will Lankshear, from Arsenal so I imagine London isn't out of our area, so thankfully we are spreading our net a bit wider.

Last edited:
Manure,Leeds,Liverpool&Everton are all thought to be interested in Kyron Gordon our 18 year old centre back.UTB

U/23's away at Cardiff on Tuesday 1pm ko.Come on Babby BLADES put some pride back into the club. FA youth cup 5th round at BDBL 2pm ko satdi 17th April v Brizzle City. UTB

Last edited:
Harry Neal has come on leaps and bounds. I remember seeing him at Stocky when he was about 15, and he looked as skinny as a rabbit. It wouldn't have surprised me to see his mum holding his coat and giving him a kiss on the forehead before the game.

I didn't see the game,anyone who did how did young Hackford play? Another very good result. UTB
Rod, only say the second half but he didn't feature much and was subbed.
But, not saying he played badly as we went down to 10 men and only had i up.
Seriki was excellent. And our big back 3 played well, except for Sam's second yellow spoiling it a little. Never looked in doubt in a good team performance.
Lovely to watch a winning team,

Rod, only say the second half but he didn't feature much and was subbed.
But, not saying he played badly as we went down to 10 men and only had i up.
Seriki was excellent. And our big back 3 played well, except for Sam's second yellow spoiling it a little. Never looked in doubt in a good team performance.
Lovely to watch a winning team,
Cheers for that Chippy mi owd pal.UTB