FA cup | Page 6 | Vital Football

FA cup

Amazing....Torquay go ahead 3-2 on 90+18 and Crawley level 90 +20

Fascinating and really enjoyable weekend in the FA Cup

Nine non-league clubs knocked out EFL opposition, including Marine of the Northern Premier League (NPL), who beat Colchester in Essex.

Other outstanding results include NL North side Darlington`s 2-1 win at Swindon and Chorley`s (bottom of the NL North) 3-2 win at Wigan.

Goal of the Round = check out John Rooney`s amazing goal for Stockport as they beat Rochdale away. Good enough for any league.

Come-back of the round honour goes to, nope not GFC, but to Chris Beech`s Carlisle United; 2-0 down with three minutes of extra time to play at Hayes & Yeading, Carlisle scored twice to force penalties and managed to win, just, in the spot kick round.

So, not including Oxford City, who host Northampton tomorrow, there are (by my quick calculation) thirteen non-League clubs in the hat for tomorrow`s 2nd Rnd draw. National League x 7; NL North x 3; NL South x 1; Isthmian League x 1; NPL x 1.

Lowest two teams left in the FA Cup are Canvey Island of the Isthmian League North and Marine of the NPL. Neither of these two teams will be allowed to play games nor even practice prior to Round Two, due to the Covid restrictions.

Best draw for Gills, in theory, a home tie v Canvey or Marine ?

I think we scraped a victory against Yeading (this was before they became Hayes and Yeading, but may have been played at Hayes ground), twas back in the early '90s when we were super shite,

We beat Chelmsford 6-1 in the early 80s. Don't remember much about the match other than their centre forward laying out Steve Bruce with one punch. You could almost smell the fear trickling down his leg once the Geordie maestro had got to his feet and identified the culprit.

Gillingham 6 Tamworth 0 6th December 1969. I have checked my astral calendar and we are due a similar score in the next round. All a bit dull in virtual mode so bring on Brackley for a sound thrashing!

I think we scraped a victory against Yeading (this was before they became Hayes and Yeading, but may have been played at Hayes ground), twas back in the early '90s when we were super shite,

Pretty sure I remember going to that, although I thought we drew 0-0. And unless my memory is playing tricks on me, I believe the ref was BMH favourite Kelvin Morton.

Tamworth 6 0 and 4 1 a couple of years earlier.
Yeading 3 1 iirc.
Chelmsford 6 1
Was at all of these. Can't match the Roone though.

Does seem like a long time since we thrashed anyone in the cup.

Pretty sure I remember going to that, although I thought we drew 0-0. And unless my memory is playing tricks on me, I believe the ref was BMH favourite Kelvin Morton.
Are you thinking of Welling? Saw both games. 0 0 at ours and lost 1 0 there in the freezing cold. We were dreadful.