FA cup | Page 10 | Vital Football

FA cup

Look at what we cudda won - At home to Tony Pullis`s Sheffield Wednesday ! Oh well.-

Pleased for the non-league clubs that have drawn cert TV coverage with their home ties: Marine v Spurs; Stockport v West Ham and Chorley v Derby - good stuff, it`ll keep these small clubs afloat.

Exeter might have a chance to progress. Mark Bentley's Canvey are at home to Millwall if they can win their second round game.

Great result for Jake Hess and his Crawley team who beat Leeds United 3-0 this afternoon. Splendid too for NLN team Chorley who beat Derby County yesterday. Probably too much to ask for Marine to get a result v Spurs this evening ?

There's something about the FA Cup which sends TV commentators into ultra patronising mode. The vast majority of people watching the Crawley game know that they are in league 2 and Leeds in the Premier League, yet it didn't stop the commentator mentioning at every available opportunity, especially after every Crawley goal.

Reminds me of the only time I tried to call a football phone in (606). It was before the Man City play-off final and the broadcasters were continuously talking about little Gillingham doing ever so well, but City are a big club and deserve to be back where they belong so don't you spoil everything be beating them. I wanted to say that City had pissed more money up against a wall in one season than we had had in about 20 years. They were shite and deserved to be where they were. Not sure how I'd have put that more eloquently, but I didn't get through.

There's something about the FA Cup which sends TV commentators into ultra patronising mode. The vast majority of people watching the Crawley game know that they are in league 2 and Leeds in the Premier League, yet it didn't stop the commentator mentioning at every available opportunity, especially after every Crawley goal.

Reminds me of the only time I tried to call a football phone in (606). It was before the Man City play-off final and the broadcasters were continuously talking about little Gillingham doing ever so well, but City are a big club and deserve to be back where they belong so don't you spoil everything be beating them. I wanted to say that City had pissed more money up against a wall in one season than we had had in about 20 years. They were shite and deserved to be where they were. Not sure how I'd have put that more eloquently, but I didn't get through.

it’s a shame you didn’t get through, the media are tosses at the best of time and would have loved to have heard their response to your comment..... No answer most probably

Great result for Jake Hess and his Crawley team who beat Leeds United 3-0 this afternoon. Splendid too for NLN team Chorley who beat Derby County yesterday. Probably too much to ask for Marine to get a result v Spurs this evening ?
Don't forget Josh Wright at Crawley too. Didn't he score a penalty or two for us a while back........🤔
His brother (Mark of Towie fame (?)) also made a 90th minute appearance.

Don't forget Josh Wright at Crawley too. Didn't he score a penalty or two for us a while back........🤔
His brother (Mark of Towie fame (?)) also made a 90th minute appearance.
Not to mention possibly the player that was expected to have a hard time.Glen Morris I always thought he was excellent for us.Still playing at a good level.

Not to mention possibly the player that was expected to have a hard time.Glen Morris I always thought he was excellent for us.Still playing at a good level.

And don’t forget that Stuart Nelson was on the bench for Crawley and manager John Yems was a coach at Gillingham in 2011

Another nice story from the FA Cup Third Round - you may be aware that Chorley from the National League North beat a weakened Derby County side and are now through to the next round. The money Chorley FC is earning will literally keep the club afloat.

What you may not know is that Chorley were so desperate not to lose TV revenue that their groundsman, Ben Kay, slept overnight on the pitch, under the heat blanket that was there to keep the ground from freezing. Ben was up throughout the night tending to his pitch.

The "nice story" is that Ben Kay subsequently received an invitation from the admiring head groundsman at Wembley inviting him to be part of the Grounds Team for this year`s FA Cup Final. Nice.

The bbc were very patronising to Marine.

"Some of the Marine players will just be happy to be refereed by Michael Oliver’ - WHAT?!?

I think the bbc think non league teams put jumpers down for goalposts.

The bbc were very patronising to Marine.

"Some of the Marine players will just be happy to be refereed by Michael Oliver’ - WHAT?!?

I think the bbc think non league teams put jumpers down for goalposts.
I thought that. Dion Dublin was extremely condescending.

That's the one, but also the one with the record of subsequently missing as many penalties as he had previously scored, including v Northampton in our crunch relegation game.

Anybody watch Chorley v Wolves last night ?

Wolves put out a very strong side but only managed a 0-1 win with their only shot on goal in the entire game ! Chorley battled tremendously well and were genuinely unlucky not to get a draw. Well done to them, proper Cup football. Feel for the home fans who couldn`t be at the game. Well done the Magpies.