FA cup | Page 11 | Vital Football

FA cup

Much as I`d prefer to be down south today watching the Gills v MKD, i`m left with my second best option, which is the FA Cup - surely the greatest football competition in the whole world.

Whilst this year`s competition kicked off back in early August, and the Gills won`t be entering until November, I`ll be taking the opportunity of watching a 2nd Qualifying Round game this afternoon, when Spennymoor Town visit AFC Fylde.

Incidentally, as Max Headroom will be aware, Spennymoor Town is the club linked by him to start the "First Non-heading football match" thread on this forum. I shall be monitoring the effectiveness of their heading, or lack of it, with interest ! :throw:

I will probably take in the Isthmian north local derby between AFC Sudbury v Stowmarket town strangely it is the next one down from Fylde on the BBC fixture list for today.

Much as I`d prefer to be down south today watching the Gills v MKD, i`m left with my second best option, which is the FA Cup - surely the greatest football competition in the whole world.

Whilst this year`s competition kicked off back in early August, and the Gills won`t be entering until November, I`ll be taking the opportunity of watching a 2nd Qualifying Round game this afternoon, when Spennymoor Town visit AFC Fylde.

Incidentally, as Max Headroom will be aware, Spennymoor Town is the club linked by him to start the "First Non-heading football match" thread on this forum. I shall be monitoring the effectiveness of their heading, or lack of it, with interest ! :throw:
My game finished 0-0 a couple of names fans might remember is striker Reggie Lambe formally of Cambridge United and Mansfield among others a Bermuda international no less still just 30 .Plus former Ipswich player Chris Casement a useful right back. Both played for Stowmarket.Another player who caught the eye was Stowmarket's Ollie Brown a clever midfielder who had a eye for a pass.A former full back plies his trade in a deep midfield position. I have definitely seen worse in the league although far too old to break through by the look of him shows the narrow margins that do exist even as low as the Isthmian league.

My game finished 0-0 a couple of names fans might remember is striker Reggie Lambe formally of Cambridge United and Mansfield among others a Bermuda international no less still just 30 .Plus former Ipswich player Chris Casement a useful right back. Both played for Stowmarket.Another player who caught the eye was Stowmarket's Ollie Brown a clever midfielder who had a eye for a pass.A former full back plies his trade in a deep midfield position. I have definitely seen worse in the league although far too old to break through by the look of him shows the narrow margins that do exist even as low as the Isthmian league.

Mine finished 1-1 - no headed goals either (as anticipated in relation to Spennymoor side :throw: ) . End to end attacking display from both sides, enjoyable

Draw for the third qualifying round (to be played 2nd October) made earlier today sees Kent clubs Maidstone United at home to Dartford and Folkestone home to Gloucester City. Ebbsfleet drawn away to Aylesbury.

Gills have a big game at home against Wigan on the 2nd October, otherwise, the cup games would have been an interesting alternative.

Dare I say it our dreaded 1st round opposition Brackley beat Hanley last night and play Guiseley in the fourth qualifying round. A game they would expect to win given they are 2nd and Guiseley are near the bottom of the same league.

I
Dare I say it our dreaded 1st round opposition Brackley beat Hanley last night and play Guiseley in the fourth qualifying round. A game they would expect to win given they are 2nd and Guiseley are near the bottom of the same league.
I've suddenly become a keen Guiseley fan.

Anything can happen in the Cup, Chris.

My disappointment was that Jersey Bulls were knocked out last night - that would have been a decent away trip for the Gills !