FA Cup Replay - Tottenham Hotspur FC vs. Middlesbrough FC | Page 27 | Vital Football

FA Cup Replay - Tottenham Hotspur FC vs. Middlesbrough FC

Whether returning from injury or with a run of games behind him, fading is what Lamela does. It's been happening for seven years!! Poch regularly substituted him, so we didn't have to endure more of the same. A bit-part player is what he is; he's too average to be anything else.
Totally disagree Rich, the guy is a talented player,maybe not a starter but that's down to his injuries. He gives everything when he comes on,he is a real driving force in midfield
Something we have been lacking in years since Demble.And he scores goals I just cant understand the bile against him.

Lets just all calm down.
Feel the love for the boys.
We won.
No more injuries.
More positives than negatives.
When they scored a goal I didn't feel we would capitulate like we have done before.
As Bobby Gilespie would sing....
"We're movin' on up now.....out of the darkness....."

Eriksen was better than I thought he'd be. A mixed bag from us, some ups and downs. Dier and Sanchez worry me. Gazza could have done better for their goal but was ok otherwise, came off his line more, pretty solid on corners. Loco is getting into his groove now, more combative and up starting to look a player. Sess still a bit safety minded but slowly progressing. Vert was better. We should have been out of sight but I am mindful Alli and Son were rested. Tanganga has really blasted his way onto the scene, emerged as a RB option, we knew he could play there but talk about taking the bull by the horns. We can beef up for Watford with Aurier and Toby at the back. I was surprised Lamela made the 90, fair play to him, he dug in and got a second wind, looked tired late in the first half. Some lung busting sprints up field from him which he was showing early season.

lol at people responding to Rich's Lamela points trying to debate with him. Out of interest do you just have a word doc with responses ready for your opinion on him in games to copy and paste or do you write the same sort of things fresh each time? Thought he was decent first half considering he's not started for a while but his goal was largely down to a really shit defence and a bit of luck with a bounce/wind allowing him to get the ball in the first place. GLC was decent again. I'd make his deal permanent personally, don't see our recruitment team finding a better option for that money and he may yet turn into the mercurial talent we hope he can be.

Another good game from Tanganga. Did get turned too easily for the Boro shot that went straight to the keeper, but that was more due to Sanchez error than his that they got that shot away. It's too early to say it but I'm going to anyway, he's going to save the club 50M on a new signing. I think he's a CB but still very decent performance at RB.

We were ok in the first half and won because we punished them for their mistakes.
However all the euphoria on here is unbelievable. Borough sat back and gave us room and so we got a load of possession but apart from the mistakes they made what did we actually do? We still could not finish them off. Second half was poor and as usual eventually not comfortable and we fluffed chances any other pl team would gobble up. Boro were not good and we did not demolish them. We were back to our slow sidey possession football except when lo celso Lamela or Tang had the ball. Dier creates sweet fa. Gazza was gazza. Sanchez was awful. Son was Mr Greedy, Moura headless chicken, And as for Ericshitsen ...words cant describe how ineffective and poor he was...World Cl ARSE player my arse. £8.5 million offer by inter...grab it Levy get rid of the poisoner!

We can take only lo celso Lamela and Tang as positive from tonights inept performance against a poor championship team! Get real guys.....

Lamela has been at Spurs for going on seven years now, and for the first five of them I think I was his biggest critic, thought as a record signing he was useless, and never understood why Poch consistently selected him ahead of Sonny during Son's early days at the Club. Ironically, as Lamela's injury problems have increased, his form over the past two seasons when he has been fit to play has improved significantly. Some of his link up play with Lo Celso and Moura last night was excellent, and the Argentine pairing looked to have real promise. In Kane's absence Lamela could in fact be a decent option playing as a false nine. It probably won't last, but whilst he is fit, he should play.

Totally disagree Rich, the guy is a talented player,maybe not a starter but that's down to his injuries. He gives everything when he comes on,he is a real driving force in midfield
Something we have been lacking in years since Demble.And he scores goals I just cant understand the bile against him.

You may choose to disagree Vinnie, but facts based on seven years of evidence is indisputable.

You may choose to disagree Vinnie, but facts based on seven years of evidence is indisputable.

Only if you look backwards in life. All I care about is what Lamela can give going forward especially in these next couple of months. Our squad isn't the best and we're all hopeful the toxic Eriksen gets out of the club.

If I'm honest, I'm most worried about Son. He has one goal in Dec/Jan and that was back in early Dec in the 5-0 drubbing of Burnley. He's always scored in fits and starts but if he doesn't snap out of it in these next couple of games then we will struggle.

We were ok in the first half and won because we punished them for their mistakes.
However all the euphoria on here is unbelievable. Borough sat back and gave us room and so we got a load of possession but apart from the mistakes they made what did we actually do? We still could not finish them off. Second half was poor and as usual eventually not comfortable and we fluffed chances any other pl team would gobble up. Boro were not good and we did not demolish them. We were back to our slow sidey possession football except when lo celso Lamela or Tang had the ball. Dier creates sweet fa. Gazza was gazza. Sanchez was awful. Son was Mr Greedy, Moura headless chicken, And as for Ericshitsen ...words cant describe how ineffective and poor he was...World Cl ARSE player my arse. £8.5 million offer by inter...grab it Levy get rid of the poisoner!

We can take only lo Celso Lamela and Tang as positive from tonights inept performance against a poor championship team! Get real guys.....

A few observations on your comments:

In the first half they played with 11 men behind the ball for much of it, I don't care what division the opposition is in that is a tough tactic to break down; we should have easily been three up at half time if it were not for Moura's greed/red mist - he had the simplest of passes he could have made to Eriksen and it was 90% certain to be 3-0.

Given this was the first time we'd played this formation with the players available we looked pretty damn good for the first half and were cruising. It was good to see Lamela make the impact that he did; his energy was a big plus as was Lo Celso's class - even if both faded as the game went on.

Sanchez: The wind was a massive factor last night and the ball was doing some ridiculous things at times - unfortunately for Sanchez two of them were where he tried to take them in the air when he was being pressured by a near-by presence.

Second half we sat back and were clearly trying to preserve our lead, not add to unless they made mistakes - I'm 100% certain that was playing to orders.

There was no need to demolish them - extra goals would have earned us nothing but tired players, at a time when it is the last thing we needed.

It was a good win, we adjusted well without Kane or Son starting, our movement and passing in the first half was good, not great - get Eriksen out of there and we no know that the space he occupies will be readily taken by Lo Celso, or in a pinch - if he can stay fit for more than 90 mins, Lamela.

Jose learned alot and so did we; Son of ledley is even better than I told you all he could be - and frankly, I am stunned at how easily he's made the transition to RB when I always considered him to be a CB or a Defensive midfielder - and that's the only way I'd heard anyone at the academy talk about him - so strike one for Jose!

Last edited:
Nearly 50,000 at the game last night according to Sky. Excellent crowd in the circimstances. And 3,700 Boro fans without any train transport.

Their support was magnificent, it really was - got talking to a few after the game - they had the prospect of a 5-6 hour car journey home. The poor man who was the DD really had the sort of look that you'd see on a condemned man, whilst his mates drank it up and made the best of it!

A few observations on your comments:

In the first half they played with 11 men behind the ball for much of it, I don't care what division the opposition is in that is a tough tactic to break down; we should have easily been three up at half time if it were not for Moura's greed/red mist - he had the simplest of passes he could have made to Eriksen and it was 90% certain to be 3-0.

Given this was the first time we'd played this formation with the players available we looked pretty damn good for the first half and were cruising. It was good to see Lamela make the impact that he did; his energy was a big plus as was Lo Celso's class - even if both faded as the game went on.

Sanchez: The wind was a massive factor last night and the ball was doing some ridiculous things at times - unfortunately for Sanchez two of them were where he tried to take them in the air when he was being pressured by a near-by presence.

Second half we sat back and were clearly trying to preserve our lead, not add to unless they made mistakes - I'm 100% certain that was playing to orders.

There was no need to demolish them - extra goals would have earned us nothing but tired players, at a time when it is the last thing we needed.

It was a good win, we adjusted well without Kane or Son starting, our movement and passing in the first half was good, not great - get Eriksen out of there and we no know that the space he occupies will be readily taken by Lo Celso, or in a pinch - if he can stay fit for more than 90 mins, Lamela.

Jose learned alot and so did we; Son of ledley is even better than I told you all he could be - and frankly, I am stunned at how easily he's made the transition to RB when I always considered him to be a CB or a Defensive midfielder - and that's the only way I'd heard anyone at the academy talk about him - so strike one for Jose!

We can't always see things the same way mate. In the cold light of day,I think you made a couple of good points but overall I saw nothing apart from the 3 lads I mentioned to get excited or build my hopes on. Ali Son and Moura do not raise my hopes as a long term attacking partnership good enough to get us top 4. i.e in an attacking sense. Long term I hope you are more right and I am more wrong....and there is more to build on than I perceived. However the sooner Ericshitsen is no longer a Spur the better!

Tanganga was massive, again. Every person who saw him in the summer knew he'd be massive but my god he makes it look so easy.

RB might be sorted, but he has to work on his fitness (and perhaps shed some muscle off) as he faded in the second half.

Dier had a great first half and likewise faded, his fitness is still an issue. His positioning in the 14th minute to pressure their player was just enough, without his perfect positioning that would have been an easy 1-1 with the keeper. He had a vital intervention at the 28th minute again. We don't have another player that can do that, so we really need him match fit.

Sess had a very solid game as well, still has to make sure he tracks back quicker though. GLC is class, when he shifted inside he made offensive transitions look effortless.

I think we are blessed with these injuries as they force us to pay the tuition fees for our new and recovering players, hopefully they will get a solid run if games in their best positions and next season they will all kick on.

Tanganga, Sanchez, Toby, Sess as our bacline with Dier shielding until the end of the season would do just fine.

Tanganga was massive, again. Every person who saw him in the summer knew he'd be massive but my god he makes it look so easy.

RB might be sorted, but he has to work on his fitness (and perhaps shed some muscle off) as he faded in the second half.

Dier had a great first half and likewise faded, his fitness is still an issue. His positioning in the 14th minute to pressure their player was just enough, without his perfect positioning that would have been an easy 1-1 with the keeper. He had a vital intervention at the 28th minute again. We don't have another player that can do that, so we really need him match fit.

Sess had a very solid game as well, still has to make sure he tracks back quicker though. GLC is class, when he shifted inside he made offensive transitions look effortless.

I think we are blessed with these injuries as they force us to pay the tuition fees for our new and recovering players, hopefully they will get a solid run if games in their best positions and next season they will all kick on.

Tanganga, Sanchez, Toby, Sess as our bacline with Dier shielding until the end of the season would do just fine.

Thought Dier was shite Pollo. But agree with the rest.

He was blowing like a billy goat after 25 minutes. He has issues and the club really need to get to the bottom of it.

He is 25 should be at his peak and all I saw was a fat bouncer trying to get around the pitch.

Maybe he does have health issues we don't know about?

He was blowing like a billy goat after 25 minutes. He has issues and the club really need to get to the bottom of it.

He is 25 should be at his peak and all I saw was a fat bouncer trying to get around the pitch.

Any other player on the pitch and we concede 2 goals in 30 minutes.

Agreed though, this is not normal.

Last year had a big effect on him; both physically and mentally - and it's clear he's not through it yet, personally, we can say what we like - but it really doesn't surprise me at all.