FA Cup Replay - Tottenham Hotspur FC vs. Middlesbrough FC | Page 28 | Vital Football

FA Cup Replay - Tottenham Hotspur FC vs. Middlesbrough FC

Eriksen is attracting increasing criticism, sometimes verging on vitriolic, on both social media and on the pitch. This is hardly surprising, no fan wants to hear a player from their Club saying that he'd rather be somewhere else. In fairness to him however, he is I believe covering as much ground as he ever has during the course of the match, he doesn't hide albeit that he's never been the best when it comes to challenging for possession, and I don't get the impression that he is 'protecting' himself in anticipation of the next move. Put quite simply, he's not as good as he used to be, or maybe thinks he is, and that is probably why none of the Clubs he wants to go to, have shown any interest in him. Mourinho shouldn't be selecting him, he's no longer good enough to play a significant role in keeping Spurs where they want to be. Whether he can revive his career in Serie A may in fact be doubtful. If Levy is offered 25 mill. for him, even 20, he should be biting the buyers hand off. If he goes in the summer on a free so be it, we've more than had full value out of him over the past 6-7 years.

Last year had a big effect on him; both physically and mentally - and it's clear he's not through it yet, personally, we can say what we like - but it really doesn't surprise me at all.

He was like this before last season. This is at least a 2 year issue.

We can't keep carrying players. We are not a charity.

Eriksen is attracting increasing criticism, sometimes verging on vitriolic, on both social media and on the pitch. This is hardly surprising, no fan wants to hear a player from their Club saying that he'd rather be somewhere else. In fairness to him however, he is I believe covering as much ground as he ever has during the course of the match, he doesn't hide albeit that he's never been the best when it comes to challenging for possession, and I don't get the impression that he is 'protecting' himself in anticipation of the next move. Put quite simply, he's not as good as he used to be, or maybe thinks he is, and that is probably why none of the Clubs he wants to go to, have shown any interest in him. Mourinho shouldn't be selecting him, he's no longer good enough to play a significant role in keeping Spurs where they want to be. Whether he can revive his career in Serie A may in fact be doubtful. If Levy is offered 25 mill. for him, even 20, he should be biting the buyers hand off. If he goes in the summer on a free so be it, we've more than had full value out of him over the past 6-7 years.

We should take whatever is offered. He is going for free in a few months.

If we are holding out for 20m plus it shows how out of touch the club is.

Re. Dier, some of his passing was atrocious. The opposition didn't have to intercept, it was passed to one of their players. I am not sure I can put that down to any of the reasons peeps have mentioned so far. If it is due to fatigue, he had no problem finding his way back to the bench.

Both Dier and Sanchez would've lost us the game v PL opposition with their errors.

As for Dele... We played so well, fluid, exciting in his absence. I had to Lol at his dilly dallying for that attempt at the end.

Hopefully Sess improves, but that miss from 2 yards out (despite being offside) was another out of Sissoko's book. Seems Sissoko is still running the shooting classes as Lo did the same last weekend!

Pre-match, I had hoped for a clean sheet and game put to bed early doors.... Well, I'll keep wishing.

Last edited:

I hate to see fans booing players but part of me wished the fans hadn't given Eriksen some direct feedback a lot earlier than just last weekend. That must have made him feel very awkward last Saturday and I thought there was just that little bit more commitment last night, especially on the aggression. I said a while ago he should have been ostracised from the group and placed in boot camp. Any one of those athletes can run 12k in a game, but if he wants to play pulling out of challenges and not competing for headers then he should have been given the appropriate training until he was shocked out of it. I still stand by what I said back in the autumn. It should have been boxing gloves, burpees, battle ropes and addressing his toxic attitude head on.

I fully expect him to revert back to just playing again for the glory moments in the game rather than being a 90 mins player at the weekend. Just like he reverted to when Boro came at us in the second half last night.

I thought Eriksen was slightly better than I expected. As I alluded to before.....who's place was he taking last night in the context of it being a must win game ? On the bench the only player was Skipp who may have put in more effort but hasn't got the delivery prowess. Alli and Son were being rested.

I thought Eriksen was slightly better than I expected. As I alluded to before.....who's place was he taking last night in the context of it being a must win game ? On the bench the only player was Skipp who may have put in more effort but hasn't got the delivery prowess. Alli and Son were being rested.

Lo Celso could have played Eriksen's role, as it was, they both were often occupying the same space and I don't think that helped either of them, but they coped and I would have much preferred to see Skippy given some trust to play behind Lo Celso and we would have had a much greater effort - perhaps.

As it is, it's looking increasingly like Jose doesn't fancy Skippy, although that's contra to what I was told before Xmas.

Any other player on the pitch and we concede 2 goals in 30 minutes.

Agreed though, this is not normal.
He made the initial error that led to their goal with his trademark, cross field pass just outside the penalty area, and gave away stupid free-kicks as usual....the ex-Arsenal commentator said he saw him as potentially a good CB but not very good in MF...I agree with him on his second point.

Maybe Danny is insisting on keeping him in the shop window?

I hate to see fans booing players but part of me wished the fans hadn't given Eriksen some direct feedback a lot earlier than just last weekend. That must have made him feel very awkward last Saturday and I thought there was just that little bit more commitment last night, especially on the aggression. I said a while ago he should have been ostracised from the group and placed in boot camp. Any one of those athletes can run 12k in a game, but if he wants to play pulling out of challenges and not competing for headers then he should have been given the appropriate training until he was shocked out of it. I still stand by what I said back in the autumn. It should have been boxing gloves, burpees, battle ropes and addressing his toxic attitude head on.

I fully expect him to revert back to just playing again for the glory moments in the game rather than being a 90 mins player at the weekend. Just like he reverted to when Boro came at us in the second half last night.

I would have these guys spewing within 10 minutes. Bunch of wusses.

Anyone got any info on the unknown name ( to me anyway , Danny Rose syndrome again! ) on our subs bench last night against boro?
His name is Cirkin ?

Last edited:
Tanganga's performance was hopeful for a young starter. I see him more as a perspective for a full back position than a CB because of his height. Sanchez looks like he is a brainless player who lacks positional orientation. In the meanwhile, we are hearing that our rivals (?) are about to buy K. Koulibally, a player supposed we were interested and Bruno Fernandes, a player we have almost signed last summer! I will be glad to get rid of Eriksen taking into account his last season form and performances. For the rest, we still don't have a plan in our play and we still don't move forward with pace using direct and vertical passes, but we continue to play the ball back and sideways and attacking in a slow way when we have ball position. We don't use the one-two pass combination inside the rival's box and we are not concentrated when we make the final pass inside the same area. Finally, we seem to be horrified every time the rival team has a corner kick while we seldom score from the same position.