FA Cup Qtr Final | Page 3 | Vital Football

FA Cup Qtr Final

I don't disagree with you that Bruce shouldn't be here but how does that game and that performance show that Bruce isn't up to the job?

Broocey is one of life's water carriers, good for certain things, but make it hard and he struggles. Certainly parking the bus, getting his tactics way wrong, and at least not having a go are inexcusable, he threw the towel in very early for me.

Not to add how fuckin lucky he has been, we could already be buried without a trace, yesterdays man for me...

Broocey is one of life's water carriers, good for certain things, but make it hard and he struggles. Certainly parking the bus, getting his tactics way wrong, and at least not having a go are inexcusable, he threw the towel in very early for me.

Not to add how fuckin lucky he has been, we could already be buried without a trace, yesterdays man for me...

If Guardiola had been sitting in our dugout yesterday with Bruce managing City - do you think it would have been a different outcome ?

If Guardiola had been sitting in our dugout yesterday with Bruce managing City - do you think it would have been a different outcome ?
How would Guardiola of had our lot playing? Would Bruce have Citeh attacking as much? Interesting point Mc, there would be differences and perhaps Newcastle would have had more of a chance as Citeh may have been more prone to mistakes under Bruce. God knows but I do know the first half is the most spineless performance I have seen Newcastle play for a long time. Looked likw they had given up right form kick off

We'd have had a far better chance in the game as we'd have been more effective and Bruce's tactics would have made City less effective.

The problem with the 5-4-1 everyone behind the ball of yesterday is it's purely about staying in the game. It puts tremendous amounts of pressure on the players and you saw that reflected in Schar's ill discipline. As soon as you concede that tactic has been a waste of time as you then have to change gameplan and attack more ,with a side that's been drilled into being tight and behind the ball this is made more difficult and further changes are then needed.

Bruce's tactics were purely about not being humiliated , to have in his eyes an honourable defeat, with a scoreline that he can say isn't too bad, and he's even got a further out with Gayle's miss ("well you know if dwight scores we stood a good chance of getting something").

In a game where there was nothing to lose by having a go he absolutely bottled it.

I fully understand the merits of the individual managers - my question was would there have been a different outcome?

I fully understand the merits of the individual managers - my question was would there have been a different outcome?

Let be honest, Parsnip is a better manager, would have been the same issue tho.
Managing a club under the criteria devised by the fat one, leaves you wide open to suggestions of being unfit for the job.
Unfortunately for Brooocey, he has been proven to be inadequate.

my point wasn't to defend Bruce - we all know he shouldn't be here and wouldn't be here with ambitious owners

I was more interested to hear your reasoning why playing one of the best quality squads in world football was your deciding factor in whether Bruce was up to the job or not

Yesterdays game wasn't really about the quality of the managers

Last edited:
I agree you can only do so much with the Calibre of players we have no matter how good a manager you are,but it was a cup game at least have a go. When they pressurised City in the 2nd half it nearly worked if Gayle had scored then who knows. The tactics were no different to those put in place by Rafa against sides like these and some how we drew with them this season and beat them was it last season? They were league games however I think in a one off cup game you need to be bolder in your approach. If you get hammered it’s not going to affect your league status.

It was awful to watch but I doubt going toe to toe with Man City in a knockout competition would have reaped any rewards

Ultimately the deciding factors were a daft penalty and a missed sitter

I didn't get to see the game so cannot comment on the managers tactics but well done Steve Bruce for getting us to a quarter final.

I've had to close me jaw a few times reading through the posts mind.

Anyone up for a laugh should navigate to page 15 Newcastle Utd v Man City Dec 27th 2017

Have a read through that thread but I suggest super gluing your eyebrows in place before you do.

For those who can't be bothered here are some propa belta quotes,each one from different posters.

I might be a lone voice but I thought Rafa had it spot on.

Rafa's tactics, although criminal to the naked eye, were absolutely spot on.

they're a super team backed by a country. Newcastle on the other hand are comparitively a rabble

We could have picked any team,played any tactics and we still would not of beat Man City.They are a quality team and streets ahead of us

Being static was part of the game plan I felt. Save as much energy as you can until late on but still do a job.

I was there and I thouroughly enjoyed it

I think on balance it was a good result. We were never going to win and at least we avoided a dispiriting hammering

Negative yes, tactifully I thought we were spot on

Well i'll be......

I remember that one Pie and I might have been supportive of the tactics then as I saw it, primarily, as a right stiff 2-digit salute to the premier league as well as the practicalities of damage limitation in terms of restricting the GA column. I think Newcastle has a superior goal difference to most in the relegation battle and therefore that was worth a point. Other teams had suffered a right battering by City that season (was it Stoke for instance? 5 or 6 nowt?). So it was more out of bitterness that I applauded the tactic by Benitez and remember being overjoyed at how royally pissed off Sky were (was it Neville that was apoplectic?).

But the big difference was this was a cup tie. A draw was no good and damage limitation irrelevant. 0-1 is the same result as 0-6. You’re still out anyway you slice it.

I actually agree with most of those quotes Finn, particularly this one..

"We could have picked any team,played any tactics and we still would not of beat Man City.They are a quality team and streets ahead of us"

The comedy /hypocrisy comes from the obvious and sheer determination not to give Bruce any credit whatsoever.

Yes it was a FA cup tie but the egotistical tit who managed us before was simply not interested in getting us this far !

Bruce is no genius but that does not justify our supporters inability to celebrate getting to the quarter finals of the FA cup and even worse,not recognising the achievement considering our owner and setup.

Maybe the takeover has created a sense of entitlement.

the difference (as I saw it) between the 2 games were that Benitez set his team out to literally (not literally) park the bus - it was anti- football with little or no intention to cross the half way line until they scored one

I think Bruce set the team up the other night to play deep (obviously) but with the intention of Carroll holding the ball up with Almiron and St Maximum breaking and causing problems - as it turned out Almiron was far too quiet and St Maximum had a shocker

I don't really see the cup as a reason to go more gung-ho early doors either - we still needed to be in the game going into the last 20 minutes (which might have been possible had it not been for a needless penalty and a shocking miss)

I still maintain that the real difference was the absolute gulf in quality of the players rather than the men who sent them out to play

That was a pardew tactic Mc in the europa league v Benfica - stay in it and make it a game within a game (voir dire if you like OM) and nearly paid off- so see your point. I agree ultimately the players are average and that’s the bottom line. I don’t think Bruce helped himself with team selection and his use of players in the lead up to the game and still think there should have been more emphasis on attack in a cup tie. For the record - I wouldn’t have either Bruce or Benitez within a million miles of the club in an ideal world. Neither would be on my wish list. Newcastle were shorn of their biggest weapon- the crowd (whatever anyone things of them for going).

Pie - whilst Benitez undoubtedly played his usual politics with weakened cup teams (why that was his form of “protest” to Ashley was beyond me as he was only going to achieve what previous managers had been instructed to do anyway i.e lose), Bruce - as with league games - didn’t half carry some luck in getting by to the 6th round squeaking by lower division teams. As soon as he was drawn against a proper team - out you go. I’d rather lose a cup tie giving it a go, tho.