FA Cup - Aston Villa v Liverpool | Page 38 | Vital Football

FA Cup - Aston Villa v Liverpool

When the time is right is the key point.
Let’s not go over board too soon and demand and expect too much from any of these youngsters. Its one match. Hard work begins for them now to sustain the level they have shown tonight .

:agree:

They can enjoy the next few days, then whenever they get back into training they now know the levels they need to get too and use that experience to really push on.

What was pleasing was their touch, their technique, how they wanted to play football and how they executed a game plan to stifle the opposition. The maturity they had was very encouraging, it was no different to watching how West Brom and Newcastle set up against liverpool except we played better football.

What they didn’t have obviously was enough match fitness, and what happens then is the physicality drops during the game and it affects the mental side of your game as you get sloppy. That’s just unfortunate for our kids because they haven’t played or even trained for however long.

The reality is the vast majority of them won’t even make it to a league game in their careers and will end up at the Alvechrch’s of the world (nothing wrong with alvechurch by the way played there a few times). It’s up to them now whether to knuckle down and focus on reaching the next level, or they perhaps have the realisation professional football is a distant shot and last night is an incredible memory for the rest of their lives.

I think I knew his mom , Mary was her name.

giphy.gif

We really don’t need to be shouting for any of these youngsters as the answer yet either. Read a few post last night naming some of the youngsters as being worthy of a place on the bench ahead of certain first team seasoned pro’s. While I am not a huge fan of certain bench warmers there is a world of difference at the moment.

Must realise that last night, brilliant as it was, was a bit of a freak. If that team went out again tomorrow they could well be tanked by a lot more. Adrenaline, lack of prep time and not having to think about it and the novelty of it would have played a huge part. It’s totally different needing to do that week in week out as a 17 and 18 year old. Even the 20 year olds are wet behind the ears still and they were the defenders, who by position probably generally come into first teams later .

Barry is probably the stand out example of one you could put on the bench as he is a striker. To be brought on if we are several goals up and the game is safe. As for the the defenders , you don’t really do that with defenders so they would have to be there as serious back ups and that shouldn’t happen yet on the back of this game. Must remember that the coaches see these players day in day out so if they were truly ready they would have been brought in before last night .

I was scathing about the game going ahead yesterday. For reasons of game integrity and it was just reaffirming my view on where I see the FA cup now. And when i saw the teams I was of the opinion that it could have been a disaster, ruining these kids. It really was a toss of a coin. No one at the club or on here truly knew which way it would go. As it is it turned out, absolutely bloody fantastic and when you think about it , it was absolutely extraordinary that the first half went like that and the score was as it was . 17/18 year olds with no experience playing like that against the champions of England and the world. Wtf !. We even had a load of youngster who were ahead of these that couldnt play. Just seeing some of the team in that photo with the minibus shows how young they are. They look like they are going on a school trip.

In the end from watching behind the sofa I was watching with a smile on my face and laughing out loud when our players were doing pirouettes on the ball in our box. The finish for the goal and build up to it was tremendous the interview by Barry was joyful and the performances by Revan, Rowe and Sylla in particular were extremely good.

Just bloody well done AVFC , did us proud there.

Last edited:
I know Louie Barry did really well last night and scored a cracking goal, but as I said last night, he’s a few protein shakes away from 1st team action, needs to bulk up a bit for a couple of years, could see the lad getting injured and down hearted coming up against, the likes of Van Dyke, Kyle Walker etc etc every week,
For me just not physically up for the premier league just yet.
Don’t him getting flattened like Rob Andrews with Jona Lomu.

Let's put this into perspective;

League Cup last season - Villa first team against Liverpool kids 5-0 (5 diff)
FA Cup this season Villa kids against Liverpool first team 1-4 (3 diff)

League last season Villa first team against Liverpool first team 1-2 (1 diff)
League last season Liverpool first team against Villa first team 2-0 (2 diff)
League this season Villa first team against Liverpool first team 7-2 (5 diff)

Not too shoddy when you look at it in terms of progress. Can't wait to play them again in April when we give them another lesson!

I know Louie Barry did really well last night and scored a cracking goal, but as I said last night, he’s a few protein shakes away from 1st team action, needs to bulk up a bit for a couple of years, could see the lad getting injured and down hearted coming up against, the likes of Van Dyke, Kyle Walker etc etc every week,
For me just not physically up for the premier league just yet.
Don’t him getting flattened like Rob Andrews with Jona Lomu.

Yes people get carried away with goals, the fact is he's behind all those who didn't play Like the Ramseys Cubbywhatsit a few others who are training with the first team.
Barry is still Youth team but already playing u23's as are some of the others, He's ahead of most 17 year olds but not the 19/20 year olds . One day he will be

Let's put this into perspective;

League Cup last season - Villa first team against Liverpool kids 5-0 (5 diff)
FA Cup this season Villa kids against Liverpool first team 1-4 (3 diff)

League last season Villa first team against Liverpool first team 1-2 (1 diff)
League last season Liverpool first team against Villa first team 2-0 (2 diff)
League this season Villa first team against Liverpool first team 7-2 (5 diff)

Not too shoddy when you look at it in terms of progress. Can't wait to play them again in April when we give them another lesson!

That was the Villa second string that beat Liverpools kids it didn't include first teamers really