F@@@ The Disabled | Page 41 | Vital Football

F@@@ The Disabled

Mentioned before in this thread I think, I know a lady with awful, aggressive MS. She was told she needed a medical and where, she said she couldn't get there close enough in the car (she was driven) and the guy told her to get the bus. The size of her wheelchair, that would have been impossible.

Anyway, conveniently for them I guess (the ********* ) she died before the appointment to see if she was fit for work came about.

It is a cruel and horrible system.

Yes Jonathan it is a cruel and horrible system.
There is a quite old saying that goes, 'If it ain't broke don't fix it'.
Something our politicians should learn and live by.
This system is specifically designed to get patients to fail the assessment. Basially, if you are breathing and can sit, you are fit for work.
The system before the introduction of none qualified personnel doing assessments, basically the word of the patients Doctor, worked very well.
These assessments have actually cost the government a great deal of money in appeals and tribunal fees, not to mention the fees and bonus' paid to the assessors companies, or the back-dated monies they have had to pay to the 70% who have won on appeal.
When an assessment was to take place on a claimant, a Doctor would make an appointment to see the claimant in their own home. Less stress that way.

Spot on 58. Totally hateful system, fuelled by the hateful papers like the Daily Mail talking crap and claiming millions were being lost in these payments.

As you say, this poor system has cost not saved the country, not only in monetary terms either.

Spot on 58. Totally hateful system, fuelled by the hateful papers like the Daily Mail talking crap and claiming millions were being lost in these payments.

As you say, this poor system has cost not saved the country, not only in monetary terms either.

I agree wholeheartedly that this country has had to pay a terribly high non-monetary price for the Tories economy decisions since 2010.
We, as a country, have lost the art of being civillised.
We are becoming more Americanised by the day. Meaning that the only way you are judged is by how much money you have, how you get your money doesn't matter, all that matters is that you have it.
To me, there are more important things than money, things that make a country civillised, music, literature, theatre, art, conversation, offering a helping hand to those in need.

Agreed 58 although as was pointed out to me when I said something similar re the Tories, it was Labour who started this whole mean spirited fiasco. The Tories, of course, have carried on with it.

This perfectly sums up the sheer ineptitude of the government:

Universal Credit (UC) is set to cost more than the legacy benefits system it replaces because of changes declared in Philip Hammond’s Budget, according to a new report.

In October the Chancellor injected an extra £1.7 billion into UC. This, coupled with the £3.2 billion higher benefit take-up projected by the Office for Budget Responsibility, means UC will be more expensive than the old system for the first time since early 2015, the Resolution Foundation think tank has said.

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/univers...efits-system-new-study-resolution-foundation/

So here you go on the wonderful PIPS and it's cost as taken from the benefit and works newsletter (nothing to do with the government. They are a legal firm)

PIP HAS INCREASED COSTS BY 20% INSTEAD OF CUTTING THEM
The Office For Budget Responsibility (OBR) has revealed that PIP has become the latest in a long line of cost cutting fiascos for the disastrous DWP.
When PIP was first introduced the DWP was shameless in admitting that the intention was to cut the cost of disability benefits by 20%.
However, the OBR says that it is now clear that the introduction of PIP has resulted in an increase in costs of between 15%-20%.
The OBR has listed some of the possible causes of the increased costs.
These include:
More new claims are being made for PIP than was expected. New claims for DLA had been falling, but it may be that all the publicity surrounding PIP has made more people aware of it.
Higher than expected success rates. Based on a tiny sample of 900 claims, the DWP was expecting around 35% of claims to get an award. In fact the award rate is 45%.
Award rates being higher than expected. Awards have been, on average, £10-£14 higher than the DWP thought they would be.
Whatever the reasons, the result is that once again a cost cutting reform has proved to simply be an expensive exercise in creating avoidable misery.
It happened with incapacity benefit, it happened with employment and support allowance, it has now happened with personal independence payment and it will happen with universal credit too.

Cont: https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/3868-30-january-2019-update

I'd like to think it defies belief but with our politicians, sadly it doesn't.

All that misery for nothing.

Computer says "No."

The victim of a violent sex attack has spoken out after her lifelong disability benefits were stopped under new rules.

The 53-year-old was granted a lifetime award of Disability Living Allowance because of the lasting damage from the brutal assault. She has been left with little bladder or bowel control.

Now, after a reassessment under controversial new criteria, her Personal Independence Payment benefits have been stopped.

https://inews.co.uk/news/real-life/...disability-benefits-taken-away-by-government/

So here you go on the wonderful PIPS and it's cost as taken from the benefit and works newsletter (nothing to do with the government. They are a legal firm)

PIP HAS INCREASED COSTS BY 20% INSTEAD OF CUTTING THEM
The Office For Budget Responsibility (OBR) has revealed that PIP has become the latest in a long line of cost cutting fiascos for the disastrous DWP.
When PIP was first introduced the DWP was shameless in admitting that the intention was to cut the cost of disability benefits by 20%.
However, the OBR says that it is now clear that the introduction of PIP has resulted in an increase in costs of between 15%-20%.
The OBR has listed some of the possible causes of the increased costs.
These include:
More new claims are being made for PIP than was expected. New claims for DLA had been falling, but it may be that all the publicity surrounding PIP has made more people aware of it.
Higher than expected success rates. Based on a tiny sample of 900 claims, the DWP was expecting around 35% of claims to get an award. In fact the award rate is 45%.
Award rates being higher than expected. Awards have been, on average, £10-£14 higher than the DWP thought they would be.
Whatever the reasons, the result is that once again a cost cutting reform has proved to simply be an expensive exercise in creating avoidable misery.
It happened with incapacity benefit, it happened with employment and support allowance, it has now happened with personal independence payment and it will happen with universal credit too.

Cont: https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/3868-30-january-2019-update

Proving once more that it's ideologically based rather than financially based. They just want to screw over the less fortunate, regardless of the cost.

So 2 million people will lose more than £1000 a year in the move to Universal Credit. That is really quite a lot of money for those least able to afford to lose anything at all.

Anyone who thinks UC is anything more than a massive cost-cutting exercise needs their head examined.

Meanwhile, it's ok to pay the DUP £1bn and spunk £66bn (and counting) on Brexit.

http://bit.ly/2KUQ77s

So 2 million people will lose more than £1000 a year in the move to Universal Credit. That is really quite a lot of money for those least able to afford to lose anything at all.

Anyone who thinks UC is anything more than a massive cost-cutting exercise needs their head examined.

Meanwhile, it's ok to pay the DUP £1bn and spunk £66bn (and counting) on Brexit.

http://bit.ly/2KUQ77s

It depends on whether they get PIPS or not. If they get PIPS care component they will stay on ESA as their money will go down by £40 per week.

The DWP having realised that that claimants of ESA couldn't transfer on the same money a new rule came in in January that means those on standard or enhanced care premium will not be moved now over to U.C.

Those before that who have been it's tough luck. A woman who I was helping had this happen to her last year. She was on her husband claim. They both received the ESA disablement premium because they were on the care component of PIPS

She left him and because the claim was in his name although she was in the support group in her own right they made her move to U.C so she is worse off by £40 a week because of the way the payments for sick work on U.C are less than ESA

Those though even in the support group if they only get mobility component of PIPS will be moved over to U.C

Confused? You will be. You need a degree today in benefits to understand it. Years of experience and supporting others with claims is the only reason I know what's going on through my access to resources

My daughter is autism spectrum and suffers from anxiety and depression. She has been awarded DLA since being diagnosed. A couple of months ago she had to be reviewed due to the change over to PIPS. The assessment was done over the phone and my wife had to answer all the questions for her. 2 months later she gets the letter telling her she has been refused. When we read the letter saying why it becomes pretty obvious that the assessor has lied and said the opposite for everything that was said by my wife. Obviously she is appealing against the decision.

It's easy to see why the Government lose so many of these appeals.

My daughter is autism spectrum and suffers from anxiety and depression. She has been awarded DLA since being diagnosed. A couple of months ago she had to be reviewed due to the change over to PIPS. The assessment was done over the phone and my wife had to answer all the questions for her. 2 months later she gets the letter telling her she has been refused. When we read the letter saying why it becomes pretty obvious that the assessor has lied and said the opposite for everything that was said by my wife. Obviously she is appealing against the decision.

It's easy to see why the Government lose so many of these appeals.

Since the pandemic they are doing all assessments by phone which is even more convenient for them 🙄 as there is even more bull in the reports than ever. Its no comfort but your not on your own

Appeal stats are now 78% are overturned at full appeal.

If you need any help Fulford pm me and ill send you via email access to the mandatory reconsideration and appeals resources I have (legal)

You rarely win a mandatory reconsideration. They just put to summarise the usual "we have no different evidence so will rely on the assessor"

You then have to go to appeal which is not straightforward. There is an additional form you need to send in with the appeal to a different address they bury at the back of the form.

You also need to send in one of the two copies of the mandatory reconsideration with the appeal. Without it. Guess what they do? Yup! In the bin 🙄

Am I cynical! Your dam right I am