F@@@ The Disabled | Page 38 | Vital Football

F@@@ The Disabled

Mine has been included by Disability Rights UK as one of the case studies to complement their report to the UN on the breaches of the convention.

Sadly I think that Brexit will only embolden the government in their quest to disproportionately cut support for people with serious illness and/or disability, especially with such a weak opposition.

I also expect to see yet more disinformation from government ministers. Only a week or so ago, I read an interview with Penny Morduant who was again claiming that we are a world leader re disabled people and that we spend more than the OECD average. The truth is that we are currently ranked 19th of 33 countries according to the latest OECD statistics and have spent less than the OECD average in every year since 2006.

yes, if the house of lords or our own supreme court don't try to block it, I agree and I can't see that they will.

As many as 80% of denied PIP claims are overturned on appeal because of inherent flaws in the system.

In some cases a decision not to award a PIP was overturned by a tribunal after it had taken account of medical evidence from doctors about the claimant’s condition that had been ignored by officials during the initial assessment.

Unbelievable Jeff!! The whole effing point of applying for and getting the payment is because medical isssues severely impact the day to day lives of sufferers.

Meanwhile in other news, MPs have given themselves a £50k pension pot bonus and a pay rise of £1000 (1.3%, having restricted all other public sector pay increases to 1% until 2019).

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/06/disability-benefits-process-is-inherently-flawed-mps-told

I hope you aren't implying that they've lied to us with their promise 'we're in this together" ?

I mean, just because they are driving people to suicide and heartbreak and are lining their own pockets, doesn't make them bad people............. oh hang on a minute, yes it does, it makes them utter scum doesn't it?!

The latest appeals statistics from the Ministry of Justice (for quarter 3 2016/17) have just been released and show the percentage of cases being overturned on appeal for ESA at 68% and PIP at 65%, both of which are at record levels. That equates to 22,573 cases in 3 months even after the DWP have considered the decision on two separate occasions.

The Fear - 17/2/2017 07:07

Why?

Most people don't care. They would if anything went wrong for them, but disability doesn't affect 'normal' people does it? They don't realise an awful lot of disabled people were 'normal' and developed the disability.

Just doesn't sell papers when they can ram trump and brexit on people.

Also perfectly illustrates what a weak opposition we have in Parliament.

I'm not sure that people don't care. I think there isn't anything that people can do about it. Apart from the 1%, I can't think of anyone who supports austerity. All of the economists I read see it as economic suicide.

The only way to end it is to vote out the Tories but to do that, there would have to be someone else to vote for.

I've seen people take to the streets of this country over Donald Duck Trump... they've not defended the most vulnerable in society taking to the streets though.

But yes, agree with your post BB

The Fear - 9/3/2017 22:08

I've seen people take to the streets of this country over Donald Duck Trump... they've not defended the most vulnerable in society taking to the streets though.

But yes, agree with your post BB

I'm sure there have been lots of anti-austerity protests but probably not specifically protests to defend disabled people.

I had hoped that Corbyn would provide a voice and a figurehead for the left but that hasn't happened.

Just when you think it can't get any worse, read this: an assessor asking a claimant at the assessment ''Can you tell me why you haven't killed yourself?'' I kid you not. It is out of the realms of this world

PIP investigation: ‘Horrific’ suicide question sparks fresh assessment inquiry calls

There are fresh calls for an inquiry into the way the government assesses eligibility for a key disability benefit, after claimants with mental health conditions described how they had been asked in assessments why they had not taken their own lives.

There was a horrified reaction on social media when disabled activist Alice Kirby revealed on Twitter how the healthcare professional who assessed her eligibility for personal independence payment (PIP) had asked her: “Can you tell me why you haven’t killed yourself yet?”

After she shared her experience, many other claimants came forward to say that they had been asked the same, or a similar, question by their assessors.

Cont: http://www.disabledgo.com/blog/2017/03/pip-investigation-horrific-suicide-question-sparks-fresh-assessment-inquiry-calls/?

I am speechless KK.

Absolutely unbelievable. It's almost as if they are trying to get some idea of how long they might have to keep making the payments, i.e. if they are a high suicide risk, then that's fine because they can stop paying sooner rather than later.

Where are we heading as a country?

DR UK launches UNCRPD evidence report in House of Lords

The article 9 case study is that of a Villan.

https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/news/2017/march/dr-uk-launches-uncrpd-evidence-report-house-lords

I hope that as many people as possible keep the pressure on the government to finally abide by the Convention that the UK is a signatory to.

kefkat - 9/3/2017 21:07

Just when you think it can't get any worse, read this: an assessor asking a claimant at the assessment ''Can you tell me why you haven't killed yourself?'' I kid you not. It is out of the realms of this world

PIP investigation: ‘Horrific’ suicide question sparks fresh assessment inquiry calls

There are fresh calls for an inquiry into the way the government assesses eligibility for a key disability benefit, after claimants with mental health conditions described how they had been asked in assessments why they had not taken their own lives.

There was a horrified reaction on social media when disabled activist Alice Kirby revealed on Twitter how the healthcare professional who assessed her eligibility for personal independence payment (PIP) had asked her: “Can you tell me why you haven’t killed yourself yet?”

After she shared her experience, many other claimants came forward to say that they had been asked the same, or a similar, question by their assessors.

Cont: http://www.disabledgo.com/blog/2017/03/pip-investigation-horrific-suicide-question-sparks-fresh-assessment-inquiry-calls/?

Disgusting question to ask anybody, especially someone suffering from a serious mental health problem. I wonder if they will ask me why my leg has not grown back next time!

It is terrible but I think it's the way it's been asked and not just the question itself. But my post is merely to better inform myself so bear with me:

I've not had an assessment or seen the process for PIP and I think it'd help for context but I do have some experience with the DWP whilst DLA and AA was used I'd rather not go into.

So does anyone know - Are they asking this question to people who are providing evidence of depression and stating they are or have been suicidal and that this is a contributing factor to them being unable to work?

If the goal is to assess the validity of that assertion then although completely unsavory, I can see why they'd think it was a good idea to probe although this seems to have been judged very badly.

Can anyone give me a bit of clarity on that?

They are heartless, totally.

Years back I was told (I'd not long since had my brain op) that my benefits were being changed (for the worst) No explanation etc, the implication (despite the fact I was in big danger back then) that I wasn't 'that' ill.

Had to go to a tribunal. I was/am a proud person, I was so upset having to go and justify myself (these things lead people to killing themselves). I remember saying to a lady there as we went into a room 'after you' (gentleman, it is what you should do) ... she said 'no, after you, it's the rules I have to be last'.. that didn't sit well with me !

End of the day the tribunal were absolutely stunned at how I'd been treated/what I'd been told and I got more money that I was entitled to and some back paid.

The process though gave me some very dark thoughts at a very painful and dark time.

So debilitating having arseholes judge you fit when you are fighting for your life!

Can't open the link, if it is what the title says, looks like there is some progress for those with fibromyalgia being able to get the benefits they need:

http://haleyourself.com/courts-confirmed-fibromyalgia-ground-declaring-permanent-disability/

There were always types of illnesses under DLA that couldn't be awarded because of the criteria they used to assess claims that seemed really unfair and actually without seeing an applicant - breast cancer for example. I can assure everyone that the civil service staff found this extremely difficult (although I realise this is of little comfort) but their hands were tied by an unfair beaurocratic system that saw a massive increase in claims under the Blair government. I'd hoped that PIP had resolved some of these issues and that civil servants could be viewed in a better light. But obviously not.

And the PIP has made it worse from what I can see. the questions now are too simplistic lewis. It will ask if you can walk x metres. Many can, but not without pain, difficultly and only on a good day. The questions don't allow that. Some can do a certain distance but it is so arbitrary. I know I started this thread on this issue after watching a programme. Young lady as below:

The Fear - 25/2/2013 21:55

Girl with cerebral palsy wouldn't qualify, would lose her car and be house bound.

This will lead to suicides and death, guaranteed.

She would lose high rate mobility that paid for her mobility car. There wasn't public transport close enough for her to get to that, hence she would be rendered at the mercy of others or housebound.

The mobility question was there in DLA too. Distance etc?

Does anyone remember the soldier who lost a leg or both legs I can't remember? Made a claim because he couldn't walk 50m or somewhere around that distance.

Had prophetic leg and did a walk on TV I think. In fact, there may have been a few of these cases. Anyway, that proved he could walk and the money was stopped.

It caused a fair amount of media backlash if I remember correctly.

The higher mobility rate always had that question in DLA and that was followed by gait I think so then that was also a deciding factor.

I've seen the other side of it too. I spent some time with a team who caught a figure of some authority claiming higher rate mobility but acting as a linesman on a weekend.

It's messed up completely but the tide turned (I believe anyway) when the disability system was opened up to self assessment. Rightly or wrongly I'm not saying people should be able to claim, or that process be easier. I don't think anyone truly understood the increase in demand this would cause and it's led to over a decade of problems that don't seem to be resolved. Under resourcing and decision making through a production line which always takes the humanity out of it and means decision making by people unqualified to do so.

That's my 2 pennies anyway.

The Tory government (and I am ashamed to admit being bought up Tory had voted for them all my life up until 2010) never again with what they have done to the disabled.

Having my own health problems and doing advocacy in the welfare benefits area through our local CAP where I live I can assure you this government have vilified, crucified and fed the media cruelty and heartless information to turn the average person against those unable to work or/and on DLA/PIPS and ESA.

I was transferred from DLA to PIPS last year and know the process from my own experience as well as the clients we help through CAP. They have tightened it up so much that there are areas of the forms not worth filling in.

The toilet needs is another example of this too. Having a bowel and stomach condition what I was put through was unbelievable. My GP told them specifically not to bring me in for a medical and why. Guess what they did? Bought me in for an medical assessment and wondered why I was in and out of the disassociate disorder I have also known as NEAD.

It took them a while for my Husband to get through to them why I wasn't making any sense and that he would need to talk to them. God knows! I have few few memories of that assessment and what I have is residual. Yes I did get an award however I did lose money. I was just relieved to be transferred.

Believe me where we live which is more rural than the big city areas they are not bad. This is nothing compared to some of the stuff I have heard.

Our friends son was born with physical disabilities and learning disabilities. The interviewer twisted everything he said, wouldn't let his Mom speak and ofcourse he got turned down. It was over turned at mandatory reconsideration which is unusual as you normally have to go to full appeal. That was because she knew me and I was able to guide her through the process of mandatory reconsideration and what info to get. Plus she got stinging reports from the Dr's and medical professionals.

Then there was dispatches last year who went undercover and 1 guy was recorded saying he had already filled out paperwork for 2 people. 1 was for a bloke who had lost a leg and the other was for a woman who had weight issues. He said ''she weren't getting it as she was a fat *****'' I kid you not.

The list is endless how far I could go on however you get the picture I think. Cameron and now this new lot in May and co are just carrying on the vilification of the disabled. It is f disgusting. I have access to the resources to deal with them. Most don't. I wouldn't spit on Cameron Osborne and IBS (deliberate Freudian slip) if they were on fire. I loathe those 3 with a passion. The new DWP minister Damian Green is no better either