Extreme Weather at Priestfield | Page 2 | Vital Football

Extreme Weather at Priestfield

I actually played a cup match against Roger Triggs back in the early seventies. I was playing for Fulston Manor IIRC (or it could have been Rainbow Rangers) and we were leading 2-0 (I had scored both of the goals) with about 5 minutes to go. Guess what, they did a Man. City on us and scored two goals in that time (could be that he scored however I'm not that sure) with the game going into extra time. End result was us getting thrashed 7-2 and the journey back home was not a happy one. I obviously knew Roger from supporting the Gills together but never realised he actually played. To be honest, he looked nothing like a footballer - bit Peter Crouchesque - but credit, where credit is due - he was pretty handy. Never for a moment thought he would go on to write one of my prized possessions.

Happy days.....

Last edited:
I remember the Derby Cup game - think they were Prem League at the time. It was cold to start and by half time completely froze over with the ref blowing the whistle about half way through the second half.

I also remember an FA Cup game v Cardiff in the early 80s where we played in the snow and the Rainham End were lobbing snowballs at the Cardiff keeper. I'm not one of those that granstands like a lot and says "my first game was" (mainly Prem League "fans" who have seen "their" team about twice in their life) as going to my first match at the age of 5 or 6, I simply can't remember who it was against. However, it may have been that Cardiff game - the memory probably only lives on due to the snowball incident. I only found out it was Cardiff recently through a Youtube clip that included the snowball incident.

Funnily, enough a lot of these seem to be FA Cup games - another I remember was late 80s v Huddersfield. The pitch was frosty and completely rock hard icy at the start and didn't change all match with the players slipping everywhere.

I also remember a mid 90s match v Walsall that was called off as the fog game in and you couldn't see the centre spot from anywhere in the stands.

It's easy to think that it's just in the "olden days", i.e. 20, 30, 40+ years ago that players played in extreme conditions. However, I rememeber a match from probably about 10 years ago v Oldham (I think), where the pitch and the whole of Kent was covered in a foot of snow. Given being in the more modern era, I was amazed the match went ahead - not just because of the state of the pitch and ground, but the paths and roads in and around the ground and Medway and Kent generally. A few pics below. I seem to recall we won 4-1, so it was worth getting it on!
You have just reminded me of an incident nothing to do with the weather, but throwing things at the goalkeeper.
I was still a youngster, standing in the kids semi-circle behind the town end. I believe we may have been playing Excither & their keeper was playing a blinder. The fans behind us started throwing sweets at the keeper. He took it all in good heart & when the ball was up the Rainham end, he went round the penalty area collecting all the sweets (they had pockets in their shorts then). At the final whistle, he turned to the crowd & applauded.

What about extreme heat? Anyone recall an early season match under a sweltering August sun?

I sit in the Medway lower and it can be a real suntrap in the late season and August. We beat Wigan 2-0 at the beginning of one season when JED was in charge and the heat was too much. Everyone went to the concourse at half time to escape it, and I remember a steward directing a bloke with his young son to sit in the upper tier to escape it. The little lad was flushed and hair dripping with sweat.

The lunchtime kick-off against Millwall on the last game of the season when we missed out on the playoffs was a scoricher as well.

I can remember many times standing on the Town End terrace as the hyperthermia seemed to start at your feet and gradually creep up your legs as the tedium in front of you unfolded. Then the excruatiating few steps at the end of the game as the circulation started to flow again.

I recall one Saturday in the Windscreen Wiper cup (or whatever it's name was back then) against Port Vale I think. I presume it was on a Saturday because we'd been knocked out the FA Cup early. There must have been no more than 1500 in the ground and the weather was baltic and the football atrocious. A large cheer went up when Vale scored in the 89th minute meaning we didn't have to endure extra time.

I remember well the occasion of Akinbiyi's debut against Plymouth.
My brother in law was home from the Midlands and I dropped in on the way over to see if he was going to come. First of all he wasn't coming and then at the last minute and just as I was leaving he decided that yes perhaps he would come after all, but he had to get ready first.

We had to park a long way from the ground and as we hurried up Godden Road the crowdstanding in the enclosure by the old stand were jeering at us loudly announing that our heroes were already 2-0 up. We got down to the Rainham end to find that the turnstyles were already closed. We hurried back to the Gillingham accompanied by further loud jeers.

When we got into the ground we assured that the score was indeed 2-0. No further goals goals before half time at which stage a real pea souper came down and we couldn't see the Rainham end at all. Gills scored 2 more in the second half. 4-0 and we didn't see one of them!

I sit in the Medway lower and it can be a real suntrap in the late season and August. We beat Wigan 2-0 at the beginning of one season when JED was in charge and the heat was too much. Everyone went to the concourse at half time to escape it, and I remember a steward directing a bloke with his young son to sit in the upper tier to escape it. The little lad was flushed and hair dripping with sweat.

The lunchtime kick-off against Millwall on the last game of the season when we missed out on the playoffs was a scoricher as well.

I avoid the lower Medway because, as you say, it is indeed, a suntrap. Without a cap or similar, you can easily spend the game doing the sun shield hand-salute, which can be a tad tiresome on the shoulder. Conversely, punters can get soaked sitting in the LM/stand when it rains - could do with the roof being extended !!

What about extreme heat? Anyone recall an early season match under a sweltering August sun?
I remember us playing (and beating) West Ham in the Championship then getting home home to find i had a really badly sunburned face 😡😎☀️

Away to Wrexham when we blew automatic promotion in 2000 was f###ing hot iirc