Extinction Rebellion | Page 6 | Vital Football

Extinction Rebellion

The existing oil & gas companies are investing heavily in the electric charging infrastructure, both at their petrol stations and in streets outside homes. Once they have cornered enough of the market the whole agenda will swing faster than might currently seem possible. The cars themselves already deliver much more than the jokey myths allow.

I think battery range is an easing problem. Once they get 500 miles that really opens up continental motoring and going to obscure places. Lack of off street parking is a real headache though, as is time spent charging. I have mixed feelings about encouraging others to go electric and having to queue. But home charging at 30 miles an hour and top ups off the mains while visiting takes care of most travel.

I think battery range is an easing problem. Once they get 500 miles that really opens up continental motoring and going to obscure places. Lack of off street parking is a real headache though, as is time spent charging. I have mixed feelings about encouraging others to go electric and having to queue. But home charging at 30 miles an hour and top ups off the mains while visiting takes care of most travel.

Another thing that could/would improve range , is to reduce the power/output of these car's electric motors. There really no need for a vehicle to exceed 100mph.
In the future , cars may have more limitations to their performance.

I've been driving for 30+ years (not non stop!). Car Batteries (or any other batteries for that matter) haven't changed size in that time

Your 12v lead acid hasn't changed as it hasn't needed to, it works.

Other batteries have. As others mention the lithium ion revolution powers so much today. Lithium sulphur could be the next step. Solid state batteries are being developed but there could be any number of breakthroughs.

It just need a demand to power investment in research. Electric cars will be that demand.

Another thing that could/would improve range , is to reduce the power/output of these car's electric motors. There really no need for a vehicle to exceed 100mph.
In the future , cars may have more limitations to their performance.

Booo!

Well just so long as you leave the zero to 60 time alone I wouldn’t mind the cap

Last edited:
The whole point of a self charging hybrid is you don't need to charge the battery. I see the self charging hybrid as the good old English compromise, for the impossible aim of zero emissions. Before anybody says I know self charging hybrid are almost certainly not a British invention.

The whole point of a self charging hybrid is you don't need to charge the battery. I see the self charging hybrid as the good old English compromise, for the impossible aim of zero emissions. Before anybody says I know self charging hybrid are almost certainly not a British invention.
But you need to burn petrol to charge that battery ?

Apparent break-away group have been out on the road again this morning and - in a bizarre "Life of Brian" kind of way, ER seem to indicate that the mob isn`t theirs ! There were deffo more than two dozen so perhaps we`ll just call them the M25+ rather than simply "splitters" !

Listening to people (on the radio) adversely affected by the latest outbreak of chaos, continues to serve up increasing irony. Seems that more of those in favour of green/climate issue action by the Govt are beginning to lose patience with the "activists" and, as a result, be less critical of a Govt seen by some as dragging its green heels.

But you need to burn petrol to charge that battery ?
Not necessarily.
Hydrogen is being developed as an alternative combustible fuel.

Apparently JCB have an offshoot trialling hydrogen powered diggers etc.
The argument goes:
Heavy machinery is expensive, so needs to be used for maybe 2,000 hours a year - unlike most cars which might be 200 hours per year.

While it is true that some of the engines are being developed using "bad" hydrogen (made from burning fossil fuels)....
......the holy grail is "green" hydrogen made from solar cells.

Hydrogen making and dispensing units the size of a container exist already.
But they need to get costs down and efficiency up.

Apparent break-away group have been out on the road again this morning and - in a bizarre "Life of Brian" kind of way, ER seem to indicate that the mob isn`t theirs ! There were deffo more than two dozen so perhaps we`ll just call them the M25+ rather than simply "splitters" !

Listening to people (on the radio) adversely affected by the latest outbreak of chaos, continues to serve up increasing irony. Seems that more of those in favour of green/climate issue action by the Govt are beginning to lose patience with the "activists" and, as a result, be less critical of a Govt seen by some as dragging its green heels.
The "mob" call themselves "Insulate Britain" - although it is claimed many are XR.

Like XR, they clearly have no moral compass.
The concept "do no harm to others" is clearly alien to them.

Read a fascinating article on jet engine development that will draw in C02 as its source.

A while before commercially available but would usurp electrification as the future of air travel.

Do wonders for the world that

That's standard though. People will always be more likely to support something if it doesn't adversely affect them personally