Exploring abandoned Millmoor stadium. | Vital Football

Exploring abandoned Millmoor stadium.

Best thing I've watched this year. Millmoor needs a preservation order on it, so much history, so many feelings!
Remember distinctly '79, when over 20k attended, not bad for a ground that supposedly held just over 10k, great for 3rd division. We were on the Tivoli end, talk about crowd control/safety, the pitch perimeter wall below collapsed, no one really hurt just good memories, think Butlin scored the winner 1-2, always was close at Milmoor, great pubs great banter but had to dodge a few bricks!!!!
Call it nostalgia/old age/whatever but the times we had....... Classic that Sean, Thanks

I was there in 79 too, about ten back from the wall that collapsed. it was a bad crush in there. I had my hands in my pockets when I went in and couldn't get my arms up until full time.

Shame that they fell out over it and just left it as it finished.

Not watched the video not sure if I will I hated the place I always thought millmoor lane was a death trap and eventually stopped going and so it proved

Best thing I've watched this year. Millmoor needs a preservation order on it, so much history, so many feelings!
Remember distinctly '79, when over 20k attended, not bad for a ground that supposedly held just over 10k, great for 3rd division. We were on the Tivoli end, talk about crowd control/safety, the pitch perimeter wall below collapsed, no one really hurt just good memories, think Butlin scored the winner 1-2, always was close at Milmoor, great pubs great banter but had to dodge a few bricks!!!!
Call it nostalgia/old age/whatever but the times we had....... Classic that Sean, Thanks

Was at that game too JWAR. You're right about Butlin netting the winner. His strike partner Jeff Bourne with the other.
I used to get the 69 bus to Millmoor when we were away and Rotherham at home up to being about 14 as I wasn't allowed to go to Blades away alone until then. Either that or down the Lane for the reserves.
I believe there are issues surrounding the fate of the stadium. Don't know specifics but I guess Rotherham United are happy now with a stadium they have settled into well.

I was there in 79 too, about ten back from the wall that collapsed. it was a bad crush in there. I had my hands in my pockets when I went in and couldn't get my arms up until full time.

Shame that they fell out over it and just left it as it finished.
Got a great view from the floodlight pylon.

Was at that game too JWAR. You're right about Butlin netting the winner. His strike partner Jeff Bourne with the other.
I used to get the 69 bus to Millmoor when we were away and Rotherham at home up to being about 14 as I wasn't allowed to go to Blades away alone until then. Either that or down the Lane for the reserves.
I believe there are issues surrounding the fate of the stadium. Don't know specifics but I guess Rotherham United are happy now with a stadium they have settled into well.
Used to get the 69 or sometimes walk it from Tinsley when Blades weren't playing away. Great pubs before and after the game. Used to see Derek Dalton the Millers fan in his wheelchair in pub before game, real character and his mother who used to take him.

What amazes me most is that somebody's still maintaining the pitch. In similar videos the pitch is usually pretty overgrown within months and yet Millmoor's is still better than the Sty 10 years after being 'abandoned'.

Last edited:
What amazes me most is that somebody's still maintaining the pitch. In similar videos the pitch is usually pretty overgrown within months and yet Millmoor's is still better than the Sty 10 years after being 'abandoned'.
Don't think it's like that today, not sure when this was made. Still if it is like that why don't the Pigs get rid of their fake Desso and transfer the turf over to S6?

I watched it a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I’m always amazed that it still looks just as it did when it closed over 10 years ago whenever I drive past it. You’d think it would have been long since redeveloped.

When it was sold from the railways it had a 99-year lease on it and could only be used for sporting purposes, so it cannot be bulldozed and used by Booth (may have been extended since).

Don't think it's like that today, not sure when this was made. Still if it is like that why don't the Pigs get rid of their fake Desso and transfer the turf over to S6?
I've just checked and the video was uploaded in November 2017 so it is a few years old, but out of interest I purposely drove past it yesterday on my way to miladdo's. I haven't driven that way for over 3 years and to be honest from the outside at least it looked exactly the same. There were a couple of security vans parked up but it looked like it was about to stage a game. I might have pulled up and had a quick look at the the state of the pitch but it was slashing it down.

I've found a couple of bang up to date video's. Nowhere near as good as the one SBT posted but they do show that the pitch still seems to be maintained in some fashion but that from close up the stadium is really starting to crumble...

I think it does get used by some Sunday league teams. I don't know why Millers U23s don't play there

Found this one interesting. Glad I went before they left it. Couple of years back York v FC United of Manchester. Had a great pre match in the social club full with fans from both clubs.