Expectations | Page 3 | Vital Football

Expectations

And no one should think the club intend standing still.
We've just paid out several sizeable transfer fees, and surely the most by a long way we've ever spent on a set of players.
And plenty of players on 3 year contracts.
None of that is a lack of ambition, quite the opposite. And we held onto Scully.

We now have several players in various international squads. Jeez. Lincoln players who are internationals. These are such different times.
And without doubt, a first choice fully fit team will get much higher in the table.

And no one should think the club intend standing still.
We've just paid out several sizeable transfer fees, and surely the most by a long way we've ever spent on a set of players.
And plenty of players on 3 year contracts.
None of that is a lack of ambition, quite the opposite. And we held onto Scully.

We now have several players in various international squads. Jeez. Lincoln players who are internationals. These are such different times.
And without doubt, a first choice fully fit team will get much higher in the table.

Agree with many aspects of the above. The directors have invested more money in the playing squad this year than at any time in the club's history.

However I find MA's statement that a top half finish would be "progress" to be a little puzzling. I am sure the directors are looking for something a bit better than that?

Yes, there are some big spending clubs in the league this year with higher average attendances. But I would guess we are still 8th or 9th in both off season spending and average home attendance figures. So, to me, anything lower than 8th or 9th this year would be underachieving.

Agree with many aspects of the above. The directors have invested more money in the playing squad this year than at any time in the club's history.

However I find MA's statement that a top half finish would be "progress" to be a little puzzling. I am sure the directors are looking for something a bit better than that?

Yes, there are some big spending clubs in the league this year with higher average attendances. But I would guess we are still 8th or 9th in both off season spending and average home attendance figures. So, to me, anything lower than 8th or 9th this year would be underachieving.

Well for me, a top half finish would be progress. And a really good achievement.
And directors would agree too I'm sure.

I realise I've done this sort of thing before but there aren't many of us who genuinely follow more than 1 club, but this twitter post turned up on my timeline the other day and I think it's apt for this club, because the journey has been similar.

It says, paraphrasing - who would have though in August 2017 when Elche debuted in 2a (third tier, having just been relegated ignominiously from the 2nd Division and with no money), that we would be enjoying La Liga with world-class players. Football gives us joy and sorrow.

Gold star if anyone recognises the player in the photo.
0.jpg

Should probably mention again we assumedly just missed out on our Johnson replacement but we played half a season very successfully without Rogers last season.

Should probably mention again we assumedly just missed out on our Johnson replacement but we played half a season very successfully without Rogers last season.

Agreed, there's always the chance of nabbing him or someone similar in Jan, just events as we know conspired against us.

The Morgan-effect is overrated. I thought he was a very talented player, great to watch, but in January we were top of the league before he'd ever kicked a ball for us.

I expect the current squad to come good and we'll be in with a chance of the play offs till late in the season.

I don't think we blew anything last season. We played real well, got real close and just didn't make it.
But this is a new season with new challenges and if any supporters want to have a moan, especially if they are a paying customer, as long as they are not being personally abusive then let them.
From what I can make out there are more people complaining about people complaining than people actually complaining in the first place. There seems to be some who take any dissension personally and want to counter with the same potted recent history of the club and an explanation of the salary cap. You don't have to keep doing that... it's locked in, we all know, we are all really grateful and respectful of the hard work that has been done and we know the salary cap reversal was not what the club was hoping for. Challenge and counter individual arguments for sure but you don't have to take it on yourself to "educate" your peers and tell them how they should be supporting the team.
For my part I don't expect us to be near the top this season but I do want entertainment. The Cambridge game was obviously a spectacular success but like a few my exposure is predominantly the home games and personally I have found them to be on the whole boring.
Yes its September, yes we have a good coaching staff but also yes if we play poorly lacking urgency and quality I will expect people to have a bit of a moan

We overachieved last season end of. If all fans are truly honest nobody really expected us to be that high, I know I didn't. But there in lies the problem and the title of the thread "Expectations". The more success we have, the more fans expect us to do as well (if not better), they begin to think we blow it if we don't gain promotion.
Just look at the Manure, and Man City fans, who are apoplectic if they don't get a trophy even, again expectations.
I am just happy that I have a club to support, and a pretty decent one at that.

I think arguing about whether we blew it last season is meaningless. The fact is we spent most of the season in the automatic promotion positions but couldn’t get over the line. I don’t think we will ever be in that position again in my lifetime. For someone of my age that’s hard to take. Yes injuries etc conspired against us but losing the chance to see Lincoln in the second tier, albeit for one season, really hurts