Exeter: Free Flowing or Game Management? | Vital Football

Exeter: Free Flowing or Game Management?

Hank the Imp

Vital Reserves Team
I've been thinking about this before we confirmed our place in the play-offs and before any of the other places were decided. What are we expecting to face in our home tie on Saturday?
Will Exeter come to Sincil bank and stick to what they did on Good Friday? Even though they lost, would they be happy to see if they could put a couple, or more, goals past us again and hope not to concede as many?

or

Have they been keeping an eye on us and see that we struggle against teams who employ 'Game Management', would they dare try that tactic in the first leg? Completely shut us out and try and finish the job back at their place.
This would have been a legitimate question for any of the teams we could have possible faced, but is this something that Exeter, Notts County and Coventry are capable of, to the level of Wycombe?

They will come and try to shut us down, so "game management" from them. They can't afford to get dicked at our place.
Sincerely hoping we go back to 442. We don't seem to threaten as much with the 433, especially if we don't have Sam or Eardley overlapping. But I guess we could see 3 CB's with Harry and Williams as wing backs if all 3 FB's are out. Whichever formation, we need to really pile the pressure on them at home.

Will be an interesting dilemma for Danny if Eardley (as well as Long) is ruled out. I quite like that idea of Williams and Anderson as wing backs with Waterfall, Wharton and Wilson as the back three. Would you go with just Bozzie and Woodyard in midfield and three up top or bring Freck back in (if fit) and go with two up top? This could give Freck licence to play off the front two.

I’d go 3-5-2 for this considering our injuries. Bring in Whitehouse and Woodyard to support whoever plays wing backs. Bozzy controls wings. Rhead and Palmer up top. Get the crosses in. Am I right in thinking Exeter aren’t the biggest team?

I think Tisdale will set up to get goals. If they get some then we’re in trouble. THey have an excellent home record.

Will be an interesting dilemma for Danny if Eardley (as well as Long) is ruled out. I quite like that idea of Williams and Anderson as wing backs with Waterfall, Wharton and Wilson as the back three. Would you go with just Bozzie and Woodyard in midfield and three up top or bring Freck back in (if fit) and go with two up top? This could give Freck licence to play off the front two.
The KA 5-2-3!

From memory, Exeter made the game at their place a boring 1-0 for them and I got impression in the home game that Tisdale was looking to do something similar without success.

Exeter will be content with a draw, I think we need a win of some description going into the second leg.

Exeter will be content with a draw, I think we need a win of some description going into the second leg.

Absolutely, they will try not to lose. Lincoln have one of the best defences in League Two and are very capable of going to Exeter and keeping a clean sheet.

Someone on their forum reckons we have a nice playing surface. Looked in desperate need of the heavy roller between innings on Saturday. I hope their manager thinks the same and tries to play slick one-touch stuff!

We had Paul Morgan in those days as a sweeper! You don't hear that term nowadays.
Bossie sometimes plays the role but it is the modern role whereby he sweeps up in front of the back four. I think Makalele was one of the first deployed like that and the old fashioned sweeper was designated null and void not long after.

Perhaps 1-5-3-2 with:

Allsop
Anderson - Waterfall - Wilson - Wharton - Williams
Freck - Bossie - Woodyard
Green/Rhead or Palmer and Pett

Leaves us with quite a weak bench if Eardley and Habergham not fil

didn't realise long was injured... he was on the bench on saturday.

also, anyone know what happened to stewart, who wasn't on the bench. is he also injured?

the list of crocks must be the longest since the new regime took over, and not the best timing either with their two biggest games looming

Not sure I like the idea of going into the playoffs and suddenly playing some wild new system we've barely tried previously.

Not sure I like the idea of going into the playoffs and suddenly playing some wild new system we've barely tried previously.
The case for hypothetically going to wing backs would not be through choice but from observation that without our full backs we completely lack width and are unbalanced. The defenders we are likely to have available are better suited as centre halves and we have other more attacking players that like playing wide. We would have better balance but undoubtedly would not be as strong defensively. In theory the extra centre half and a disciplined defensive midfielder could potentially deal with that. It could have the surprise factor and given the first leg is at home may be the best time to have to deploy it as we should look to be positive and go to Exeter with something to hold onto. Not a great situation to be in but ultimately the Cowleys will have the handle on player fitness and ability to implement tactics so we shouldn't be surprised if they come up with something clever for the game. Basically this is going to be 2 or 3 cup finals so without being reckless I think we should go for it as DC said this is a free hit so we need to play with freedom and without fear.