Executive Boxes in Co-op Stand | Page 2 | Vital Football

Executive Boxes in Co-op Stand

I will repeat and amend my comment: a new ground is a decade away (at least), we cannot expand SB without investing unsustainable amounts of cash that we don't currently have.

We're stuck with a perfectly functional 10k stadium.

Tender returns for large scale build projects have gone through the roof over the last 6-8 months. I’ll leave you to ponder why that might be but these projects are by no means straight forward, even ‘simply’ rebuilding the Stacey West.

I will repeat and amend my comment: a new ground is a decade away (at least), we cannot expand SB without investing unsustainable amounts of cash that we don't currently have.

We're stuck with a perfectly functional 10k stadium.

Indeed. The stadium we have is perfectly adequate for a club of our size, especially when we start losing a few games.

How many clubs outside the premier sell out of their season ticket allocation 2 years in a row. Turning season ticket money away... I ponder that in relation to adequate size and perfectly functional.

I don't think there is a pressing need to increase the capacity of SB.I do think we are short of exec.boxes though and this should be the priority. It may well be there are other more practical/viable ways this could be done rather than building them at the back of the Co-op stand.

How many clubs outside the premier sell out of their season ticket allocation 2 years in a row. Turning season ticket money away... I ponder that in relation to adequate size and perfectly functional.
I don't think we'd have sold many more STs though. Will sell out half a dozen games in League One if that, and mostly when there's >1,000 away fans.
Appreciate it's Accrington Stanley with probably <200 away fans, but club said yesterday only 8,000 tickets had been sold for Saturday.

The away allocation rule is what does us. If we could put them in the South Park stand only we could create 1000 seats

The away allocation rule is what does us. If we could put them in the South Park stand only we could create 1000 seats
Good to see the club thinking outside the box again this year using the BM/Uni stand for small away followings - Accrington & Fleetwood could go in there in August. Expect Southend to have a couple of blocks of the SW.

I don't think we'd have sold many more STs though. Will sell out half a dozen games in League One if that, and mostly when there's >1,000 away fans.
Appreciate it's Accrington Stanley with probably <200 away fans, but club said yesterday only 8,000 tickets had been sold for Saturday.
That's the issue when you sell out of something, you just don't know how many more you might have sold. £££

To give an idea of how much it costs to build a new stadium now (or to build new stands with the necessary facilities), AFC Wimbledon's new ground at Plough Lane is costing £25 million for a 10,000 capacity, and the final bill will probably be higher. The fact that they haven't got the money to pay for it could be a problem in twelve months' time. At least they will be 'back home' in Wimbledon by the time the club folds.

It's a difficult balancing act.

You get your Accrington, Fleetwood types but then at the other end, the likes of Sunderland, Portsmouth, Ipswich, Donny, Rotherham are likely to get the full SW and will have been able to sell more than that, too. That then reduces home end tickets.

For the bigger games in L1, we'd comfortably be able to get to 12,000-14,000 IMO (larger away followings will contribute to that, obviously).

To give an idea of how much it costs to build a new stadium now (or to build new stands with the necessary facilities), AFC Wimbledon's new ground at Plough Lane is costing £25 million for a 10,000 capacity, and the final bill will probably be higher. The fact that they haven't got the money to pay for it could be a problem in twelve months' time. At least they will be 'back home' in Wimbledon by the time the club folds.

Indeed SW London is not a cheap labour area but it would still expensive in Lincs.

The only real ways to finance it are
1) rich owner finances it personally
2) local authority consider a civic duty and build under their budget and give the club a long lease at pepper corn rent. They would probably want the proceeds of the disposal of land at Sincil bank back.

I feel our best bet is option 2

Great moving "back home" if there really are thousands of fans in Merton who have been patiently waiting over 20 years for them to return...

Indeed SW London is not a cheap labour area but it would still expensive in Lincs.

The only real ways to finance it are
1) rich owner finances it personally
2) local authority consider a civic duty and build under their budget and give the club a long lease at pepper corn rent. They would probably want the proceeds of the disposal of land at Sincil bank back.

I feel our best bet is option 2

Unfortunately, since austerity imposed by this government (but there's money for Brexit bribes), councils' "civic duty" doesn't stretch very far these days. Often not even as far as decent elderly care, CAMHS services, etc.

Still, we get the government we deserve, as they say.

The linpave stand heavily subsidised was a bargain unfortunately football league level facilities are expensive.

It would probably be cheaper to knock it down and rebuild then attempt to engineer a modified stand.

Ok it would be relatively simple job as the ground conditions are known access is good and the site would be level and a decent size. When you cover all the professional fees, the labour and materials etc it would be in the millions. Anything with aesthetic qualities and facilities beyond a basic toilet block etc and it will be expensive.

I don’t have the norms but there will be a metrics online. Quick research (very old data so would need to be indexed) looks like anything from £1k to £3k per seat. I think that is a new stadium which would mean a new 20k stadium would be anything from £20m to £60m (needs to be adjusted for inflation)

I would assume that replacing a stand would be considering less as you would not have the same level of cost as new stadium but even at £500 per seat you would need to find £2m to build a 4K stand.

Food for thought

Spot on!

Unfortunately, like the flat earthers some believe that Challenge Anneka was real too.

Tender returns for large scale build projects have gone through the roof over the last 6-8 months. I’ll leave you to ponder why that might be but these projects are by no means straight forward, even ‘simply’ rebuilding the Stacey West.

Inflation in the construction industry is rampant and has been for a good two/three years.

In a sense the construction industry has never properly recovered from the financial crisis of 2007/8. Swathes of contractors went out of business wiping out companies, that in some instances were generations old in the following years. A significant consequence of all this was the industry deskilled itself as very little was spent on training. Now the market has got back to something resembling normality, the pool of contractors is lot smaller and so is the skill base. As a consequence contractors of any repute can pick and choose their work and to a point undertake projects on their terms and cost.

As for London rates being more expensive, I don't entirely buy that, I know a number of M&E companies in the Leeds, Bradford and the North West areas who's base work load is inside the M25 corridor. Such is the nature of the construction industry even if a main contractor did utilise 'cheaper' labour or trades where ever sourced, the client would be the last see any saving from it.

Last edited:
could a temporary stand be erected between SW and Selenity stand? cant see many on the day tickets available for Sunderland/ Donny and Rotherham unless the club only allocate them half of the SW as per 10% allocation ruling?