Ex Player watch | Page 35 | Vital Football

Ex Player watch

Isn't it part of Powell's job in the team as an attacking midfielder to set up chances for our strikers?
Going off the stats that OLFE posted he's only got one assist. which to me isn't good enough.
Obviously it isn't just upto Powell but as our best player I expect more.

The last time we got promoted from this division didn't Brentford and another unnamed Championship club as well as Rangers make enquiries about Griggs availability? All of which where shunned by Latics.

moonay - 3/12/2017 22:09

Adgjlzcbm - 3/12/2017 22:04

Admin - where is that Grip's (MCP) post to Exiled Tic "get back to the ironing" reply post.
If you have deleted this you are wrong.
Please justify your action.

Nowt like shouting before you're hurt...................... it wasn't/isn't on this thread !
Before you get your knickers in a twist - Grip did & before I could post it was taken off. Ask Exiled.
Stop defending the indefensible.

Look without Grigg and Powell just kiss good-bye to promotion.
Powell is a class above anyone in midfield and Grigg works his stones off dragging defences all over the park.
My preferred starting eleven would see Grigg with a big strike partner, a real winger, a real right and left back, two centre backs and three other midfielders.
It won't be like that so I am quite happy to watch us as we are as it seems to work most of the time.

Yon Mon - 3/12/2017 22:33

Grips comment is still on Fylde Tickets thread.

I have a few comments on that thread, which one interests you the most? :hmm:

C_Latic - 3/12/2017 21:52

You misunderstand me. He doesn’t special treatment from managers. He gets special treatment from fans who will defend him to the death because of one good season in League One and that boring song. Michael O’Neill didn’t pick him for a reason and no Championship club wanted to buy him for a reason. I won’t accept folk trying to blame Nick Powell for Will Grigg not scoring goals. Paul Cook wants someone with a presence up front and I don’t blame him for that although Toney is not the answer.

CL..... n that 'boring song' ......got us worldwide recognition...he was most def the striker on form in the league that season. Yep last season & fair bit of this season he's been hit & miss but surely as a C.F. scoring just doesn't disappear cos despite my criticism of WG I do think / hope he comes good again. Too quote that boring song........
"Will Griggs on fire your defence is......."

It does disappear when you play against better opposition and get penalties taken off you. That song got us worldwide recognition...16 months ago. Now its past it’s sell by date like the rest of the football world I find it boring. In fact on a separate rant all our chants are awful these days. Surely Wigan’s youth can find something less monotonous to sing than that “we’re on our way” rubbish which every club in the FL sing.

Adgjlzcbm - 3/12/2017 22:20

Before you get your knickers in a twist - Grip did & before I could post it was taken off. Ask Exiled.
Stop defending the indefensible.

Adg, you're in such a rush to be offended that even after being told that you've made a mistake, you're too stubborn or lazy to properly check.

The posts from both Grip and Exiled are still there .... untouched ....in another thread. I'm not telling you which one. Go and find it. Then apologise to Admin for suggesting they deleted it.

No twisted knickers here. Having said that, for you, I'd maybe suggest commando !

Yon Mon - 3/12/2017 22:20

Isn't it part of Powell's job in the team as an attacking midfielder to set up chances for our strikers?
Going off the stats that OLFE posted he's only got one assist. which to me isn't good enough.
Obviously it isn't just upto Powell but as our best player I expect more.

One thing about assist stats .... they don't really give a true reflection of the build up to the actual goal. Unless you watch the highlights or recall the goal itself .... treat with a little caution.

For many years I worked with the father of a current Cardiff City player who hails from the North West, we were linked with him last summer and again in the January window but nothing came of it. His dad told me in Jan that he was originally part of the Bogle deal but we turned that down as we wanted him to come on loan first, during that conversation he told me that the rest of the Cardiff players could not believe how technically poor Bogle actually was and were all questioning why he had been signed.

TRUE BELIEVER - 5/2/2018 13:15

He is still a relatively young striker finding his feet. He will eventually find his level and I have no doubt will be successful. Look at Powell, how many managers had given up on him calling him frustrating and lethargic, how many of them are now eating their words. All it takes is one manger to show some belief and work with him and he could turn out to be a lot better than some on here give credit for.

Agree, he struggled went he went out on loan after Wigan. But didn't Uwe Rosler call him the most talented player he has worked with? I think us Wigan fans knew Powell was something special, just needed game time, staying fit and and a good team around him with proper tactics. Powell still has another gear to go imo. Reminds me of Dele Alli alot

Powell must take some blame though Frank over the years his attitude has stunk the place out!

Like i said on another thread, im just glad the lad has sorted himself out.

Correct me if I'm wrong Frank but I think you may have misinterpreted my post. I was in fact using Powells treatment by some as a pointer to the way some people see Bogle. In my opinion there is some talent there and just needs the right set of circumstances to bring it out. The same thing happened with Nick, we all knew he had great potential but a number of managers were unable to harness his talent. Grip says he's glad the lad has sorted himself out, however I strongly believe that the praise should go to the manager as he seems to be the right fit and understands what makes Nick tick. Perhaps this is also part of the reason Nick decided to nail his colour to the Wigan mast, he likes working with PC.

TRUE BELIEVER - 6/2/2018 10:16

Correct me if I'm wrong Frank but I think you may have misinterpreted my post. I was in fact using Powells treatment by some as a pointer to the way some people see Bogle. In my opinion there is some talent there and just needs the right set of circumstances to bring it out. The same thing happened with Nick, we all knew he had great potential but a number of managers were unable to harness his talent. Grip says he's glad the lad has sorted himself out, however I strongly believe that the praise should go to the manager as he seems to be the right fit and understands what makes Nick tick. Perhaps this is also part of the reason Nick decided to nail his colour to the Wigan mast, he likes working with PC.

Grip agree his attitude wasn't great, still has some improving to do but on the right track.

True, I see what you're saying. The difference is Bogle was coming from League 2 and not proven at higher level while Powell was bough by Man U and thought to be the next big thing one day. So we should have had higher expectations. I think Bogle will be a good FL striker either in League 1 or Championship. He would have at least 10 goals by now for us if he played as much as Toney did for us.

Really interesting BBC radio Manchester interview with Gary Caldwell.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05wfsl1

Gary Caldwell also talks about Sam Morsy. Rated him very highly.
Very interesting comments about the reasons why Sam departed.

Nick Powell also talked about.
Best player according to Gary Caldwell and Graham Barrow.

MK Dons midfielder Alex Gilbey will miss the start of next season after having surgery on a knee injury.

The 23-year-old, who joined the League One side from Wigan in August, reported the problem after the defeat at Walsall earlier this month.

The ex-Colchester man has scored three goals in 23 league appearances for the Dons, who are 22nd in the table.

Horwich FC 1 - Sunderland 0
Callum McManamanan came on as an 83rd minute sub tonight for Sunderland (at the Reebok).
Lee Cattermole also playing.
Donald Love on the subs bench
Sunderland still doing a Wolves by the look of things and are welded to the bottom of the Championship.

OnLoanfromEnfield - 20/2/2018 22:11

Horwich FC 1 - Sunderland 0
Callum McManamanan came on as an 83rd minute sub tonight for Sunderland (at the Reebok).

Late equaliser against Hull and the went wild (out of order imo) in front of Pulis due to previous issues with him.