Ex Player watch | Page 34 | Vital Football

Ex Player watch

moonay - 3/12/2017 11:35

I think that Grigg also deserves a shot at it too. To be fair to the lad, he was either injured or ignored for a lot of the last campaign. I'm not saying that he'll definitely be a success, but he deserves another - fuller - chance.

I think his chance will have to be the remainder of the season which so far has been a bit of a struggle for him. If he has a good second half then he should be given an opportunity (or should we cash him in?)
Nb: Waghorn is also doing well at Ipswich

Lazysid - 22/11/2017 08:43

C_Latic - 21/11/2017 19:32

Warnock’s been starting him so he’s obviously an important squad player for a side chasing promotion.

Twice.
Another fact the fantasists on here ignore did! Well done

All that Grigg needs is the service, 2 years ago he had Yanic and was banging em in every week, it seems his supply line has been cut of late, Grigg also does a lot of graft off the ball he drags defenders all over the place creating space/shooting chances for the midfield.

Hopefully we'll get another Yanic in January and Grigg will be back in business, i would love to see him getting a fair shot in the Championship (with a decent wide man)

Of all the forwards we have had in recent years, Waghorn is the one that got away. It was as if we didnt know where to play him, relying on his impact from the bench. I think we will need to sign a championship standard forward and preferably in January to reinforce our promotion push and prepare for next season at a higher standard hopefully. Grigg is getting sharper but he does look still to be lacking the confidence of two years ago. I would also say that Toney doesnt look up to it.........but I would have said same about Leon Clarke who has risen from career ashes quite unbelievably

I agree with Grip Grigg needs service but not necessarily a Yanic type. More of a Powell type. I thought he would rip teams apart this season, scoring goals for fun and playing the killer pass for Grigg and others to feed off.
He in my opinion needs to step up more.

We needed the money to pay Roberts and Hunts wages and for the players holiday fund because the Wigan public would warm to this and gladly pay £27 to watch Latics so they could contribute to the bar kitty.
A joke from top to bottom.
Is this one big jolly till the new owners arrive and put their foot down?

C_Latic - 3/12/2017 16:12

That’s Nick Powell our current top scorer you’re talking about right?

Yes it's the same Nick Powell. Our top scorer with 7 goals. But how many assist has he got? When teams park the bus in home games I would expect a player with Nicks ability to be the one who carves teams open playing the killer ball.
I don't want be critical of him but a player of his ability should be a cut above everyone else in this division. If he has plans to get back to the top then he needs to up his game.

Promotion is a long way off, there are many obstacles to face before the end of the season.
I am more confident of maybe a Wembly appearance in the play off final than automatic promotion.
We all know from painful experience that it is a big jump from league 1 to Championship which last time we were unable to bridge, but if Cook can keep the squad together playing a higher tempo game well if we do make it --who knows.

So you think squad can do well in the Championship, but isn't good enough to get there?
That's a bit weird, I wonder if you could clarify what you mean.

Grigg gets special treatment and extra leeway because he’s a fans favourite. Missed another sitter on Friday which would have killed the game. Nick Powell gets double marked and kicked all game but still comes up with winning goals. Not his fault, his teammates don’t have his football brain and can’t pick his through balls, similar to Jordi Gomez. Without him we wouldn’t be top of the league, without Grigg we still would be top of the league. Cook obviously recognises that we need better than him, else we wouldn’t be getting linked with the likes of Kiefer Moore and Louis Moult.

Assists were mentioned.

Lee Evans = 4
Nathan Byrne = 3
Gary Roberts = 3
Michael Jacobs = 2
Reece James = 2
Ivan Toney = 2
Jamie Jones = 1
Gavin Massey = 1
Nick Powell = 1 (vs Bury August 13th)
Max Power = 1

League 1 Leaders
Jack Payne Oxford United 9
Hakeem Adelakun Scunthorpe United 7
Tony McMahon Bradford City 7 <----------------- !
Graham Carey Plymouth Argyle 5
Ricky Holmes Charlton Athletic 6
Chris Lines Bristol Rovers 6
Marcus Maddison Peterborough United 6
Luke Leahy Walsall 5
Stephen McLaughlin Southend United 5
Shaun Whalley Shrewsbury Town 5
Ryan Williams Rotherham United 5
Eoin Doyle Oldham Athletic 4
Lee Evans Wigan Athletic 4
Jake Forster-Caskey Charlton Athletic 4
Nicky Law Bradford City 4
Josh Morris Scunthorpe United 4
Ricardinho Oxford United 4
Alex Rodman Shrewsbury Town 4
Liam Sercombe Bristol Rovers 4
Ed Upson Milton Keynes Dons 4
Derrick Williams Blackburn Rovers 4
Sean Longstaff Blackpool 4

OnLoanfromEnfield - 3/12/2017 19:27

Assists were mentioned.

Lee Evans = 4
Nathan Byrne = 3
Gary Roberts = 3
Michael Jacobs = 2
Reece James = 2
Ivan Toney = 2
Jamie Jones = 1
Gavin Massey = 1
Nick Powell = 1 (vs Bury August 13th)
Max Power = 1

League 1 Leaders
Jack Payne Oxford United 9
Hakeem Adelakun Scunthorpe United 7
Tony McMahon Bradford City 7 <----------------- !
Graham Carey Plymouth Argyle 5
Ricky Holmes Charlton Athletic 6
Chris Lines Bristol Rovers 6
Marcus Maddison Peterborough United 6
Luke Leahy Walsall 5
Stephen McLaughlin Southend United 5
Shaun Whalley Shrewsbury Town 5
Ryan Williams Rotherham United 5
Eoin Doyle Oldham Athletic 4
Lee Evans Wigan Athletic 4
Jake Forster-Caskey Charlton Athletic 4
Nicky Law Bradford City 4
Josh Morris Scunthorpe United 4
Ricardinho Oxford United 4
Alex Rodman Shrewsbury Town 4
Liam Sercombe Bristol Rovers 4
Ed Upson Milton Keynes Dons 4
Derrick Williams Blackburn Rovers 4
Sean Longstaff Blackpool 4
Top goalscorers in League, Wigan Athletic.
Least goals conceded in League, Wigan Athletic.
Seems our goalscorers and those who assist the scorers are coming from all over the park.
Again Will Grigg is creating space for many of these goalscorers and chipping in with a few himself.

C_Latic - 3/12/2017 19:18

Grigg gets special treatment and extra leeway because he’s a fans favourite

Baffled with how you get that, he hardly played under WFJ that clown would stick anyone up top before Grigg, and until recently Cook prefered Toney to Grigg for whatever reason.

You misunderstand me. He doesn’t special treatment from managers. He gets special treatment from fans who will defend him to the death because of one good season in League One and that boring song. Michael O’Neill didn’t pick him for a reason and no Championship club wanted to buy him for a reason. I won’t accept folk trying to blame Nick Powell for Will Grigg not scoring goals. Paul Cook wants someone with a presence up front and I don’t blame him for that although Toney is not the answer.

Admin - where is that Grip's (MCP) post to Exiled Tic "get back to the ironing" reply post.
If you have deleted this you are wrong.
Please justify your action.

Grigg cant score from the bench or the stands, give the lad a run in the team, sort out the supply and he'll score.

Adgjlzcbm - 3/12/2017 22:04

Admin - where is that Grip's (MCP) post to Exiled Tic "get back to the ironing" reply post.
If you have deleted this you are wrong.
Please justify your action.

Nowt like shouting before you're hurt...................... it wasn't/isn't on this thread !

WN5 - 19/11/2017 17:02

Massive mistake selling this lad.
Has a very good goalscoring record over the last few years,he may not have been good enough for the championship but would have been an asset in L1.

Having seen both Grigg and Toney regularly this season it's fair to say neither of them are as big a goalscoring threat as Bogle, regardless of how often he was caught offside in a meaningless game against Leeds!

When have you seen Grigg regularly this season ?

What leads you to believe Bogle is a bigger goal scoring threat than Grigg ?

Even the most enthusiastic fans when we signed Bogle were desperately disappointed in his displays while he played for us, the only argument for him leaving was he COULD have improved.