Ex-Imps Discussion Thread | Page 239 | Vital Football

Ex-Imps Discussion Thread

I know plenty of people do, but I don't really watch other teams.
When I first moved to London I went to watch Barnet vs Rochdale, sat in the away end. It was the last season at Underhill so I wanted to see it before they moved. A very strange experience not having an actual interest in who won. I ended up rooting for 'dale as Barnet were flying high under Davids at the time and I sided with the underdog/northerners. Can't remember what the result was but it wasn't a great game. Best bit about it was riding the Northern Line all the way to the end at High Barnet.

Last edited:

Moving to the dark side of the Midlands has given me the chance to go to non-Lincoln games, though the last one was about 7 years ago now when I went to see Porto play a pre-season at West Brom.
It's quite nice to watch a game without caring who wins, and has given me the chance to see some really good players like Dennis Bergkamp, Luca Modric and Christiano Ronaldo in 'the flesh'.

Moving to the dark side of the Midlands has given me the chance to go to non-Lincoln games, though the last one was about 7 years ago now when I went to see Porto play a pre-season at West Brom.
It's quite nice to watch a game without caring who wins, and has given me the chance to see some really good players like Dennis Bergkamp, Luca Modric and Christiano Ronaldo in 'the flesh'.

I think the only game I've ever gone to as a neutral was Notts County. They lost. I was secretly happy.

Last neutral game I went to was Everton vs someone else. Gerard Deulofeu was the only thing I can remember about the game, he was a bit like Rogers, edge of the seat player, but you always felt he could deliver a little bit more. I had the offer of cheap tickets from work and it was a ground neither me or my son had been to, Before that it was free tickets to watch Villa at home to Arsenal from one of my son's coaches who was a Villa youth Scout. When I lived in Manchester I went to both big grounds and while I was in London I went to Stamford Bridge, Highbury and Craven Cottage. I have also been a neutral at the exalted grounds of Weymouth, Tamworth, TNS, Telford, Shrewsbury, Swansea, Stoke (the original ground), Norwich, Birmingham, Wolves, West Brom, Coventry and Notts Forest for various reasons.

Bit of tart really when I add it all up.

When a student then working in Liverpool, I used to go to Anfield a few times a season (Keegan, Dalglish eras) , and Goodison occasionally too (McKenzie, Gray).

Saw some great games, and some duds. Quietly cheered Mick Harford's first goal for Birmingham, I had to be discrete for my own well being as I was on the Kop at the time.

Once saw Liverpool play Arsenal one evening then Imps home v Carlisle next, the latter much more enjoyable!

Mine was Man Utd vs Everton a few days before they signed Rooney. 0-0, terrible game.

Through work I got offered Man Utd vs Arsenal in an Exec Box but declined and went to Dagenham vs Lincoln instead...we were awful and lost 3-0! That was in Jackson's final stages.

Interesting article about the Cowleys here.

Sound slide they're playing a more possession-based style, playing out from the back. The captain is very complimentary in his comparison to Jackett's style:

‘It's been five weeks since the gaffer came in and the change of play has changed for the better of the club and the players.

‘It's a lot better than kicking it, trying to get second balls, this and that. Every manager is different throughout the country but we've got a good manager who wants to play.’

When a student then working in Liverpool, I used to go to Anfield a few times a season (Keegan, Dalglish eras) , and Goodison occasionally too (McKenzie, Gray).

Saw some great games, and some duds. Quietly cheered Mick Harford's first goal for Birmingham, I had to be discrete for my own well being as I was on the Kop at the time.

Once saw Liverpool play Arsenal one evening then Imps home v Carlisle next, the latter much more enjoyable!
I remember going to see Chelsea v Portsmouth morning kick-off and then on to Southend v Lincoln at 3. Have a feeling it was Boxing Day

I well remember the night of the Eric Cantona Kung Fu special. I was working in London with one other colleague, who was also happened to be a big football fan. The Palace game was sold out and the only other game on, in London was Chelsea v Forest.

He spluttered when I suggested going, before remembering he was a massive Derby supporter. Anyway he begrudgingly agreed to go as long as we went in the Chelsea home end. His mood didn't improve much when a Collymore brace sealed the deal for Forest.

Needless to say, staying to the final whistle wasn't an option on the table. We headed off to a sports bar where we got to see the Cantona incident replayed over and over on multi screens without the volume on; which was quite an incredible thing to see without any context or warning of what had gone on.

In a normal season I am likely to watch more Stafford Rangers games than Lincoln, but any Imps games I can get to will always take priority

Altho the sons/grandsons of Lincoln fans, my lads were "born and bred" in this area, and they supported their favourite local team, so we used to get to watch Port Vale regularly, and we still go to the very occasional game - mainly when Lincoln play, but we don't sit together on those occasions! Have taken my grandson to a handful of Stoke games. Have also been to two or three early round European games at the Etty with my son and granddaughter, who is a Manc and a Man C season ticket holder (courtesy of her mother and other grandfather!)

Wherever we moved I've watched and supported local teams, eg Sheff U, Forwst, Stoke in the early days here, - because I like watching football, and due to normal commitments can't get to as many Imps games as I'd like - but would never miss an opportunity to see Lincoln if poss

The only game as a neutral was in 1969 when Birmingham played Man U in the cup. I was on a course in Brum and the game had been rearranged to the Tues night having been postponed on the Saturday due to bad weather. I bought a ticket from a tout outside the ground (25/- for an 8/- ticket I think). Having only ever watched Lincoln, to see the likes of Law, Best and Charlton was an amazing experience

I have seen a few neutral games and I hated it. So now I don’t go now unless part of a big group. It’s like watching football on tv I will not do this either unless it’s Lincoln. I just can’t do it it just feels strange. When people say did you see the game last night I will start to talk about the imps and I usually get funny looks. I could not give a monkies about premiership is my usually response