Ex-Imps Discussion Thread | Page 230 | Vital Football

Ex-Imps Discussion Thread

I thought the only marina in Grimsby was an Austin Marina, up on bricks
In Fentys car parking space!?. Posh car in codland though!!
I found out about it when I got sent to a job there. I genuinely had an exchange with my boss about showing me a bit more respect than trying the old 'tartan paint' or 'glass hammer' type japes reserved for those a bit wet behind the ears.

My boss was going to give me a bollocking for speaking out of turn but laughed and decided against it having conceded she could see where I was coming from.

I found out about it when I got sent to a job there. I genuinely had an exchange with my boss about showing me a bit more respect than trying the old 'tartan paint' or 'glass hammer' type japes reserved for those a bit wet behind the ears.

My boss was going to give me a bollocking for speaking out of turn but laughed and decided against it having conceded she could see where I was coming from.
I had to explain the "long weight" one to a Polish lad the other day. Someone had sent him to our maintenance store for one, having stood there for a while he was told to come back tomorrow to check again.

Watching the highlights on Quest, Theo Robinson got a mention for nearly scoring (& netted from his rebound) just makes me reflect how far we've come. I remember being gutted that we lost Theo at the time he left, now we wouldn't consider him anywhere near for our squad.
Theo played his part in our rise up the Leagues and especially the FA Cup, two great goals at Portman Road.

Watching the highlights on Quest, Theo Robinson got a mention for nearly scoring (& netted from his rebound) just makes me reflect how far we've come. I remember being gutted that we lost Theo at the time he left, now we wouldn't consider him anywhere near for our squad.
Not anymore, no - Theo is 32 now and is on the way down. However, he played consistently at a very good level before coming to Lincoln - he had well over 250 games in the Premier League/Championship/League One under his belt as well as playing in the Scottish Premier. Championship sides Ipswich and Brighton couldn't cope with him in the FA Cup, and we would not be in the position we are today without him. He was a great signing at the time and it came as no surprise that he quickly returned to a higher level. Would he have been good enough for us in 2016-17, had we been in League One instead of the National League? Quite possibly - it was a League One club that bought him from us, remember.

Not anymore, no - Theo is 32 now and is on the way down. However, he played consistently at a very good level before coming to Lincoln - he had well over 250 games in the Premier League/Championship/League One under his belt as well as playing in the Scottish Premier. Championship sides Ipswich and Brighton couldn't cope with him in the FA Cup, and we would not be in the position we are today without him. He was a great signing at the time and it came as no surprise that he quickly returned to a higher level. Would he have been good enough for us in 2016-17, had we been in League One instead of the National League? Quite possibly - it was a League One club that bought him from us, remember.
One he started 24 games for in 2 1/2 seasons.
Looking at his record, he’s a bit like the Jefferson Louis of the lower league. He’s had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus!
But I’m not knocking his contribution to the Cup run of course, always be in Imps history.

Nothing wrong with a Marina...my first ever car. Butterscotch coloured estate, very nice too.

Renowned for collapsing front suspensions apparently. My father had one in the '70s, between an Austin 1100 and an Austin/Morris 1800 'landcrab' (I think) before moving on to a spiffing Austin Princess.

My dad had a couple of maxis over the years, a red one and a beige one. They could certainly pack a load when the back seats were down

The Fosse Way - that was how we always got to Devon - basically A46 to Leicester then the Fosse, then M5/A38.
The thing I do remember in the morning would be seeing a regular number of broken down vehicles as you went through Cornwall. I suppose cars in those days weren't too keen on journeys of several hundred miles a go, especially in warm weather.

The thing I do remember in the morning would be seeing a regular number of broken down vehicles as you went through Cornwall. I suppose cars in those days weren't too keen on journeys of several hundred miles a go, especially in warm weather.
Always remember lengthy boring queues on the roads in Devon/Cornwall, before they dualled the A38, so I imagine a lot of overheated engines.

I thought the only marina in Grimsby was an Austin Marina, up on bricks
In Fentys car parking space!?. Posh car in codland though!!

Technically, to be pedantic, it was the Morris Marina. The car that officially replaced the Morris Minor.