Ex-Imps Discussion Thread | Page 226 | Vital Football

Ex-Imps Discussion Thread

Oh right! Apparently he used to play Gaelic football before playing association football and that helped with him going in goal. I have no idea what Gaelic football is like but I presume it must have some element of handling to it.

It’s probably closest to Aussie Rules. As well as the brawling, there is quite a bit of skill involved, with both hands and feet. Apparently Shay McCarten is/was a very good Gaelic footballer for County Down - skillful, low centre of gravity, hard to knock off the ball.

It’s probably closest to Aussie Rules. As well as the brawling, there is quite a bit of skill involved, with both hands and feet. Apparently Shay McCarten is/was a very good Gaelic footballer for County Down - skillful, low centre of gravity, hard to knock off the ball.
Interesting, thanks. I'll have to look into it further.

Current former Imp Zac, is having to settle for being a bench regular after being taken off both occasions when starting previously.

I'm pretty sure Kevin Moran was one of the earliest high profile players that was a very good Gaelic footballer.

Yeah it’s quite a well trodden path. Packie Bonner played for Donegal, and more recently Séamus Coleman, Kenny Cunningham and Kevin Doyle all played for their counties.

Moran won two All-Ireland’s with the Dubs, which I’m pretty sure makes him the most successful Gaelic footballer/soccer player.