Ex-Imps Discussion Thread | Page 214 | Vital Football

Ex-Imps Discussion Thread

I was thinking the other day about starting a thread to say which of our players from the previous 3.5 seasons would fit into this team (fitness,age etc permitting) a bit spooky that.
I was trying to make a case for Rheady, not as a target man, but for his touch and ability to bring players into the game, but decided in the end he just wouldn’t be mobile enough to press.
Thinking of others I would say someone like Sean Raggett wouldn’t fit the style.
Did think a peak Nathan Arnold would probably fit well and be a good squad option.
Surprised you didn’t mention toffolo - he would be the icing on the cake for this team.

Josh Ginnelly currently playing for Hearts against Celtic in the Scottish Cup final. What a strange career trajectory he's had.

I've been watching for two minutes, he's already blazed two efforts over the crossbar, including a selfish long-ranger. He hasn't changed.

Josh Ginnelly currently playing for Hearts against Celtic in the Scottish Cup final. What a strange career trajectory he's had.

I've been watching for two minutes, he's already blazed two efforts over the crossbar, including a selfish long-ranger. He hasn't changed.
And gets the equaliser!

Josh Ginnelly currently playing for Hearts against Celtic in the Scottish Cup final. What a strange career trajectory he's had. I've been watching for two minutes, he's already blazed two efforts over the crossbar, including a selfish long-ranger. He hasn't changed.

Josh came on in the 57th minute, made Heart‘s second, scored their third and was man of the match according to BBC report.

Wonder why, ultimately, he couldn't cut it for the Cowleys. He is a classy player.

Because he was made of papier mache and had the speed of an arthritic slug? That’s not to denounce his contribution in that amazing season, but there’s a reason we were able to sign him initially and a reason he’s not been near the Football League since.

Because he was made of papier mache and had the speed of an arthritic slug? That’s not to denounce his contribution in that amazing season, but there’s a reason we were able to sign him initially and a reason he’s not been near the Football League since.

Adam Marriott suffered appalling injuries prior to him joining The Imps, hence he was paid a performance related package. Prior to joining Imps he had been a prolific scorer albeit down the leagues and it was when he got his move to Stevenage the injuries started.
I always think of this guy as being someone whose career would have been a very successful one further up the leagues of it was not for his rotten luck as he was not only very skilful but a very intelligent player too.

Adam Marriott suffered appalling injuries prior to him joining The Imps, hence he was paid a performance related package. Prior to joining Imps he had been a prolific scorer albeit down the leagues and it was when he got his move to Stevenage the injuries started.
I always think of this guy as being someone whose career would have been a very successful one further up the leagues of it was not for his rotten luck as he was not only very skilful but a very intelligent player too.
I will never forget Adam’s pass to make Nathan Arnold’s goal against Ipswich.

I will never forget Adam’s pass to make Nathan Arnold’s goal against Ipswich.

So many special moments from that season it’s hard to pick a favourite...
Add in...
Raggett at Burnley
Sam’s free kick at home to Torquay
Theo’s clincher against Brighton
Nathan’s winner at Gateshead
Terry v Macc at home
Raggs again at FGR
Angol’s hat trick at Braintree (put us top I think)

did we ever run a forum poll on the best moment of that season?

Marriott also scored the first goal, in the first cowley league game, at Woking. Decent finish too. If ever there was a start of a new era, that was it.
At the time, who thought we would be 2nd in league one by xmas2020?

I remember seeing him at Solihull Moors, back in 2017, on one of the few occasions he made the starting line-up, and being underwhelmed by his contribution.

Definitely a very skilful player, as evidenced by his sliderule pass to Nathan Arnold and made some telling contributions as a supersub but, if I remember correctly, he was withdrawn at Solihull.

I'm sure his injury-proneness prevented him playing at a higher level.

Marriott also scored the first goal, in the first cowley league game, at Woking. Decent finish too. If ever there was a start of a new era, that was it.
At the time, who thought we would be 2nd in league one by xmas2020?

It seems impossible but that was little more than four years ago....

Whitehawk, less than a year earlier seems a lifetime ago...

Absent again.
lewis from the Newport 18
whatever the reason for him going there was, it wasn’t for game time.

surely he gets recalled and sent somewhere he will get some practice defending. Grimsby?

Absent again.
lewis from the Newport 18
whatever the reason for him going there was, it wasn’t for game time.

surely he gets recalled and sent somewhere he will get some practice defending. Grimsby?

Aaron's loan expires on the 2nd of January so theoretically he could be back in our squad for the Wimbledon game. I think we'll know pretty much what his future is quite soon in the New Year