Ex-Imps Discussion Thread | Page 157 | Vital Football

Ex-Imps Discussion Thread

Mansfield appear to be spending again. So far, they have signed one player from the Championship (goalkeeper Marek Stech from Luton), two from League One (striker Jordan Bowery from MKD, and Bristol Rovers' captain Ollie Clarke) and one from the National League (Torquay striker Jamie Reid). They have also appointed former Wigan chairman David Sharpe as DoF, and he will not be coming cheap either. If they are after Woodyard and Bostwick (two more League One players), I would hate to see their wage bill again. It all seems a bit foolish to me, especially with wage caps being uncertain.

Mansfield appear to be spending again. So far, they have signed one player from the Championship (goalkeeper Marek Stech from Luton), two from League One (striker Jordan Bowery from MKD, and Bristol Rovers' captain Ollie Clarke) and one from the National League (Torquay striker Jamie Reid). They have also appointed former Wigan chairman David Sharpe as DoF, and he will not be coming cheap either. If they are after Woodyard and Bostwick (two more League One players), I would hate to see their wage bill again. It all seems a bit foolish to me, especially with wage caps being uncertain.
I have to say that "foolish" seems to be an excellent word to apply to Mansfield!

I can only assume that wage caps imposed will have a certain easing off period to allow for them to level out to the required maximum figure. Mansfield might be working on the basis of 'it'll take a couple of years to get from what we are currently paying out to what we need to get it down to' so those contracts being offered now wouldn't immediately be affected.

I'm not entirely sure how that equates to a sound business model in the current circumstances though

Anyone know whether Grant Smith can play for Boreham Wood in their PO games?

Alex Bradley obviously went back to Harrogate but he's still under contract whereas Smith isn't anymore.

But as a free agent he can't sign and play until the next season........bit of an anomaly one that and honestly not sure.......loans have been extended but that's relatively straight forward

But as a free agent he can't sign and play until the next season........bit of an anomaly one that and honestly not sure.......loans have been extended but that's relatively straight forward

It needed Lincoln to give him the contract extension for him then to be loaned to Borehamwood.

I would have a chat with my imps team mates as they don't seem to last there very long.

Last edited:
I would have a chat with my imps team mates as they seem to last there very long.

I'm assuming there's a random 'don't' missing from the above. Those that go there though do ( I believe with nothing other than internet supposition to back it up) improve their bank balances

It'd take a mega offer for him to move over there, you only need to look at his previous clubs to see that he doesn't move far from home.

For once it seems like fortune was on our side this season. We got a fee for Forest taking Walker back, I believe, and saved his wages. At the time it seemed like it might put us at risk of relegation but now it is clear it was definitely a benefit to us. Same with shifting so many higher earners in January and getting fees for a few too.

For once it seems like fortune was on our side this season. We got a fee for Forest taking Walker back, I believe, and saved his wages. At the time it seemed like it might put us at risk of relegation but now it is clear it was definitely a benefit to us. Same with shifting so many higher earners in January and getting fees for a few too.

I agree with you that fortune was on our side with our January sales and recruitment, we got lucky with events imo, and without the season ending early as it did I had a feeling the end of season could still have been dodgy. View maybe coloured by previous end of season relegations still haunting me ! MA has certainly got a big rebuilding job to do and we will soon find out if he is a good Manager as well as coach soon enough. I have faith in the Chairman, Liam and Jez to make the right calls for LCFC , I am waiting to see what the next few weeks brings with MA.