Everton v NUFC 23rd April 2018 | Page 3 | Vital Football

Everton v NUFC 23rd April 2018

Absolutely nowhere near mate, you could name at least 5 worse in the premiership era.
The bar was set, back in the day, with Billy Rafferty and Ray Clarke.

As you say, CTM, Premier League era we have had a few - G'va'r'ch, Xisco and a few who did ok elsewhere like Andersson and Thomasson. Paul Dalglish must feature on that list.

On the other hand, we have had some class. Thank goodness for Paul Robinson who kept muppets like Alan Shearer and Duncan Ferguson out of the team.

In the premier league era I would say the worst strikers, not necessarily in order but all well below Gayle standard:
Paul Robinson
Paul Dalglish
Xisco
Givarche
Andersson
Cordone
Gallagher
Riviere
maybe even Carl Cort and/or Ameobi, I would have to think long and hard about both of the useless fxckers.
I will leave Thomasson out because he was a good player maybe used wrongly by Dalglish. But for sure he was crap for us.

In which case I need to knock a few off that list! However, I think all played in the number 9 role, including 4+5

In the premier league era I would say the worst strikers, not necessarily in order but all well below Gayle standard:
Paul Robinson
Paul Dalglish
Xisco
Givarche
Andersson
Cordone
Gallagher
Riviere
maybe even Carl Cort and/or Ameobi, I would have to think long and hard about both of the useless fxckers.
I will leave Thomasson out because he was a good player maybe used wrongly by Dalglish. But for sure he was crap for us.

Cort showed promise but his career was knackered by injuries. Shola was another striker better than Gayle that injury ruined their game. He stole a career in his latter years.

You know me, Toony, I still maintain that Shola has been the best 4th choice striker in Premier League history.

I had a chat with Paul Robinson last year when he was a driver delivering parcels. He asked me if I followed football (I said I'd been to the odd game.) and said he kept Shearer out of the team. He recalled the derby game which was Gullit's last game as manager. He was transferred to Wimbledon for a million quid and on his admission spent more money than he earned there. A Mackem he has to rate at the top of CTM's list of worst strikers.

Some of us go back further than the premier league era and remember some utter shite to add.

Frank Pingel and Rod McDonald are up at the top of my worst list.

Add these as well:

John Robertson (The version we got)
Howard Gayle
Luuk de Jong
Albert Luque (His goal against the tramps may have given a false image)
Giuseppe Rossi (was shit for us)
Billy Whitehurst

My apologies, I assumed we were talking about center forward role rather than specifically number 9 shirt. Fishing in a rather small pool there of course, and I mean whenever (say) Shearer was injured someone else had to do the job. Or at least try. Yeah I think he probably is the weakest number 9 shirt wearer of recent times to be fair.

This game showed we have over performed recently and highlighted the old weaknesses. Poor finishing, lack of creation and the usual old defensive mistake.
Yedlin is quick but not a very good defender, the attack is wafer thin and lightweight, Nothing more than a newly promoted team doing enough to stay in The Premiership. A hell of a lot of work to bed one for next season, as well as incomings for the 1st team squad, the reserves and academy need a complete overhaul and the coaching staff and facilities need upgrading.