Everton Fans Not Impressed! | Vital Football

Everton Fans Not Impressed!

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
Just thought I'd share this!

https://www.footballtransfertavern....slam-james-rodriguez-versus-rotherham-united/

And from another source, the Royal Blue Mersey, comes . . .

Rotherham United looked the more component side for large stretches of the match — at halftime, the visitors had three shots on target to Everton’s one and five corners to the Toffees’ none. The defense was lackadaisical, the midfield was porous and the offense was anemic. While credit must be given to the indefatigability of Rotherham, a lousy victory over a struggling Championship side certainly is not the way to start 2021.

And from the Liverpool Echo . . . .

The perfect summary of their performance eventually came in the second half, with the incident that led to Rotherham's goal. It came from both of Everton's central midfielders both going for the same ball and getting in each other's way as they rose for the header. The visitors could then exploit the space in front of the defence that Gomes had left, and Davies' attempt at getting back to block their foray forward only directed the ball into the path of Matt Olosunde for him to turn and finish. This was another low point for the pair on a day which should have been very different.

What would they have said if we had won! :giggle:
They did indirectly (though correctly) identify some things though - our lack of ability to stick the ball in the net, and our failure to achieve much from corners.
If we could have put those things right, they would have been moaning a lot more.

We need to improve our finishing in the league though to have a chance of staying up. It has been a problem all this season . We got away with it in L1, not because we were sharpshooters back then, but because generally our opponents made more mistakes and kept letting us have another go at goal. I think that Smithy and Freddie are capable of scoring a few at this level - probably won't be enough for what we need - and difficult to see where many other goals will come from in open play, unfortunately (Crooks? Olosunde?). Need a goalscorer.

Last edited:
We do need a goalscorer, Mike, I agree. Just an old fashioned Allan Clarke who stands waiting for the ball and puts it in - I think Alan Shearer got most of his goals like that too.