Evans to Stevenage... | Page 8 | Vital Football

Evans to Stevenage...

But that would imply that we've got to pay up their contract if they leave (otherwise why hold out for the precise amount we still owe them?). But surely if Stevenage come in for them and pay compensation for them, and they voluntarily choose to join Stevenage, we've not got to pay them anything?

What we're holding out for is in effect a transfer fee, I don't see the relevance of the amount remaining on their contract in deciding that fee.
I think that’s the only relevant thing for deciding this sort of figure, otherwise you could pluck any number out of the air.

I think that’s the only relevant thing for deciding this sort of figure, otherwise you could pluck any number out of the air.

Of course you could. The same as we can pluck any number out of the air when deciding how much we want to ask for should we sell Tucker, Dempsey, etc. 250k? 500k? A million? Up to Scally to decide what he thinks is a fair price, but I can't imagine it's in any way based on how much they're owed on the time left on their contract. They're under contract with us, if a club's interested, they can decide whether they want to pay it or not.

Of course you could. The same as we can pluck any number out of the air when deciding how much we want to ask for should we sell Tucker, Dempsey, etc. 250k? 500k? A million? Up to Scally to decide what he thinks is a fair price, but I can't imagine it's in any way based on how much they're owed on the time left on their contract. They're under contract with us, if a club's interested, they can decide whether they want to pay it or not.
I wouldn’t say it’s the same as deciding a transfer fee for a player, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

I would not think that in anyway it has to be fixed to a salary amount. But it is possible that Scally has used Evans future salary as a formula to assess Evans value. After all that value in theory will fall each week so there is a basic fact behind it.I think if Stevenage are about to invest money in the team they might feel that the money would be well spent.It would also have the support of Evans as he could not say he was being over valued. I would say it was a excellent way to work out a value of a manager like Evans.

Last edited:
But would you support the scheme Mark? If scally guaranteed to invest money in the squad to make us competitive on the provision we sell x amount of season tickets would you renew? Maybe if PS even went on half salary for a year too?

I think he needs to do something creative to combat the malaise and turn PR around. I think Steve with a bit more cash would make us genuine play off challengers.

In years gone by I'd fall for it hook, line and sinker mate.

Trust has gone now. That's just my view. I hope he does something though, as you say he (or someone else) needs to turn the ship around.

Not had a maritime reference in his chats for a while. I miss them .

Transfers are simple deals the seller states their opening price, the buyer gives their first bid. Things then proceed, an agreement is made. The seller tries to get as much as possible, the buyer tries for as little as they can. It is as simple as that. The same goes for any compensation between clubs, as I don't think managers compensation goes to a tribunal.

Can’t see what all the fuss is about.

It’s the perfectly sensible thing for Paul Scally to say “no you can’t talk to him”. The other option is to say “sure, talk to him” which is as good as saying “we don’t value SE at all, take him. And if you don’t, the next club that asks can have him”. Not very sensible.

And I think in the real world, Stevenage would have already talked to SE or his managers. They’d have already sussed out if he is at all interested in an approach, otherwise why bother? It’s just signalling to any other manager they employ that they weren’t the first choice. That’s also a bit silly.

I expect over the coming week or so, things will get sorted out, Steve will go to Stevenage (with my thanks and blessings) and we’ll get some kind of payout.

The only other way I can see this playing out is IF Paul Scally really does want to keep Steve beyond this season (as alluded to in the statement) and he can convince SE that we have some investment forthcoming, we can get players in January etc. I can’t see that happening, but it would certainly be a win/win if it turns out that way.

Quite frankly I don't care what happens to Evans. The next manager off the rank will turn up regardless.
I don't buy into the 'if he leaves were doomed' scenario either.
I believe Gills are 4 points short of where we should be. 4 points would make us a comfortable 13th/14th in the table. A win here and a draw there over the remaining 29 games would see that made up.
Its been pointed out in numerous posts we've had no pre season and a string of injuries. With a bit of luck and a fair wind second half of the season should see us right.

Quite frankly I don't care what happens to Evans. The next manager off the rank will turn up regardless.
I don't buy into the 'if he leaves were doomed' scenario either.
I believe Gills are 4 points short of where we should be. 4 points would make us a comfortable 13th/14th in the table. A win here and a draw there over the remaining 29 games would see that made up.
Its been pointed out in numerous posts we've had no pre season and a string of injuries. With a bit of luck and a fair wind second half of the season should see us right.

Agree with all of that but that is with evans at the helm with players brought in for his system. If we suddenly bring in a non league manager with a different system , mid season who has limited contacts and budget the odds are we won’t won’t do as well.

Agree with all of that but that is with evans at the helm with players brought in for his system. If we suddenly bring in a non league manager with a different system , mid season who has limited contacts and budget the odds are we won’t won’t do as well.
A lot depends on if the players are 100% behind Steve Evans. Was Kelman on his own?If so it will be extremely difficult for any incoming manager to keep us up on the same budget with most of the squad already fixed.
If however the players buy into a change of manager then who knows .I do think there is a massive difference between the appointment of Neil Smith and Lovell.Lovell was already known by the players. I would be a little suprised if anyone knows Neil Smith other than perhaps a rumour or two.But if we could get a established manager it could be a much more positive outcome.

Last edited:
Rubbish. Scally won the case. Pulls got exactly what Gills agreed they owed him.
It's a matter of record and you can find newspaper accounts from the time ...Scally lost and Pulis accepted an out of court settlement which had nothing to do with what he 'was owed' ,according to the chairman who wanted to pay him nothing. I'm surprised anyone still believes Paul Scally's version of events.

Can’t see what all the fuss is about.

And I think in the real world, Stevenage would have already talked to SE or his managers. They’d have already sussed out if he is at all interested in an approach, otherwise why bother?

I expect over the coming week or so, things will get sorted out, Steve will go to Stevenage (with my thanks and blessings) and we’ll get some kind of payout.

That sounds about right, OSK.

The situation isn`t good right now; when it comes to the stage where apparent tension between manager and owner is surfacing in so many places, it`s difficult to see how harmony can be restored.

I wouldn`t mind if SE stayed; IMO he`s been a pretty effective manager. But, to my mind anyway, SE staying seems more and more unlikely each day.

If he goes and a new manager comes in then, so be it. To fans, I dare say, who is managing the team ins`t as important as following the team. SE has to look after himself, but we`ve a football club to support so let`s hope that the current situation doesn`t drag on and get wholly out of perspective. UTG.

I agree. But got me thinking about those people who say are not going to Priestfield because of BFSE being the manager. I wonder what their next excuse will be when he departs!

Yes, each to their own, I suppose. You can please some of the people all of the time and all of people ....... mmmm.. only when we win every game !