Evans to Stevenage... | Page 2 | Vital Football

Evans to Stevenage...

I see skybet has pulled the next stevenage manager market. Any of the other sites that people use still have it ?

"I need the chance to win" comment from him speaks volumes.

If we assume that he and scally are in agreement that he won't renew his contract then taking his next job early might not be such a shock after all.

It would be interesting to hear an open interview with Evans after he goes.

Spot on Mark.
The chance of the current management team being at Gills next season is extremely low.
I’d expect that Scally and SE have already had that conversation and that’s why Smith has been attending recent matches.
It’s almost an insurance policy for the club should SE decide to leave early.

I'm always amused when people have a go at Scally for going with "the cheap option" of going for former Gillingham people like Hessenthaler, Taylor, Pennock etc but then put forth the argument that we should go for the likes of Smith, Flynn, Barrett etc who are only being mentioned as they were former players and wouldn't be on the radar if they hadn't.

Hess and Taylor were not cheap options.
They were on bloody good money.
Pennock etc probably not so much but I wouldn’t imagine that Steve Evans has upped sticks for chicken feed.

Stevanage currently 12 points of 7th and 28-1 to go up if anyone fancies it. If evans goes there with a fat budget I can easily see them pushing on from January.

I see skybet has pulled the next stevenage manager market. Any of the other sites that people use still have it ?

"I need the chance to win" comment from him speaks volumes.

If we assume that he and scally are in agreement that he won't renew his contract then taking his next job early might not be such a shock after all.

It would be interesting to hear an open interview with Evans after he goes.
He's 4/5 on Hills and 2/5 on Bet Victor

I'm always amused when people have a go at Scally for going with "the cheap option" of going for former Gillingham people like Hessenthaler, Taylor, Pennock etc but then put forth the argument that we should go for the likes of Smith, Flynn, Barrett etc who are only being mentioned as they were former players and wouldn't be on the radar if they hadn't.

I don't recall seeing anyone argue that we should be going for Smith, just pointing out that he's been seen at our games and suggesting that Scally may be lining him up.

Agree with a lot that has been said:

1. We may as well take a pay day for BFSE as he won’t be around next season.

2. Without BFSE, I think we’re nailed on for relegation. With him, I think we’ll end up in mid-table obscurity.

3. We’re not going to attract a manager of his calibre next. Get ready for an experiment with an inexperienced guy at the helm!

But this is my biggest concern...

Our squad is threadbare and our star players will be gone by the end of this season - if not sooner: Dempsey, Tucker, Oliver, Carayol. The new manager isn’t going to inherit a good squad.

We need an experienced, well connected manager who can recruit well. None of the names mentioned so far on this thread meet those criteria - with the exception of PT - but that didn’t work out too well last time! And Colin - but he’s never touch us.

I don't recall seeing anyone argue that we should be going for Smith, just pointing out that he's been seen at our games and suggesting that Scally may be lining him up.

No one has promoted Smith specifically on this particular thread although there have been fans who pointed out he was going well at Bromley before being fired despite being in the playoff spots and they played good football and he wouldn't necessarily be a bad choice.

I think my main point that people bemoan that Scally hires former players on the cheap but then plenty of former players get thrown in the conversation whenever we need to hire someone.

Virtually every manager PS has bought in has been at the games before the the incumbent goes.
Otherwise an existing manager has been tapped up so the rumour goes.

To say Neil Smith has no contacts in the game is a bit naïve as he has been in the game for decades, as a player and coach, he has done courses with the FA where they meet coaches from clubs at all levels. That's where lasting contacts are made, I am not advocating for Neil Smith to be the next manager as I don't know enough about the job to choose who should get the job. That's Paul Scally's job, if SE actually goes.

That description fits Mark Stimson as well, as he must have earned his badges. He also played 80+ times for Newcastle.

I think the best loan he managed was Chris Dickson from Charlton. Otherwise, we can look forward to the updated versions of Leroy Griffiths and Stuart Thurgood.

I don't think Chelsea will be sending anyone to join Cumming.:(

Spot on Mark.
The chance of the current management team being at Gills next season is extremely low.
I’d expect that Scally and SE have already had that conversation and that’s why Smith has been attending recent matches.
It’s almost an insurance policy for the club should SE decide to leave early.

Yes, and I've heard rumours that SE and Scally aren't getting on too well at the moment and haven't been for a while and both have made comments, which I regard as indirect criticism of each other - i.e. Scally saying that "lowest budget" line is rubbish, whilst Evans is not named, Evans has clearly gone on record with this several times, Scally's Cheltenham kick off time comments, where he said that it was Evans' call and he knew nothing about it until late on, and the "winning games" comment from Evans referenced above, plus his previous hissy fit he had to back track on publicly in that strange video of Scally, Evans and co sitting around a table outside.

It was only a matter of time before Evans and Scally fell out as both are highly charged and in their own way successful dog-eat-dog operators. When Evans was doing well for us, Scally was always going to tolerate his antics and turn a blind eye to his comments, but now things are looking pretty grim, it's no surprise both are looking for a fall-guy. The Stevenage move might be what both want to end the relationship and move on, but personally I think it's a poor move for us (who are we going to get that's better?) and a poor move for SE (Stevenage are purported to have new potential backers, but they are pretty much in our position in League Two and in all honesty have a non-league fanbase and stadium), so he would have a lot to do and the pressure would be on with new backers, if that comes to fruition.

He's definitely been seen in the boxes and Medway Stand for a number of games in the last few months, just like SE was before Lovell got the gooner. I've also heard that he is well liked and backed around the club and is very keen on the job. In a way, there would be nothing to lose appointing Smith. We're going to need a caretaker anyway, if Evans goes, so he would be ideal for that as could step in straight away and would cost peanuts, in the scheme if things. Scally could give him a few games to see how he goes and if he hits the ground running turns thing around, give him until the end of the season on a flexible contract, whilst at the same time looking for someone else, who could be a on paper more experienced manager with a better CV for the role, who could step in, if things go tits up.