Evans 'three players coming in' | Vital Football

Evans 'three players coming in'

ME2blue

Vital Squad Member
Just heard his post match interview, he is certain we'll have one in by the home match, and up to three players - all apparently still under the budget limit.

Yes he made the point we can have 3 new wages to come in and still be in the same budget as last season. One of the players may need a small fee.
Sounded like a defender, midfielder and striker from his Radio Kent interview where he discussed the recruitment at some length.

Didn't I hear him say at some point in an interview over the weekend, that we almost signed someone at the back end of last week, but for some reason it feel through?

Didn't I hear him say at some point in an interview over the weekend, that we almost signed someone at the back end of last week, but for some reason it feel through?
Yep. Evans said that he changed his mind on the player because he feels he can get better in.

Interesting that he was commenting that on current numbers we would have the thinnest squad in the division and yet Ogilvie, Byrne. Mandron and List, who would all have had reasonable expectations of being in the team, were on the bench on Saturday.

Looks like there will be the necessary competition for places.

Interesting that he was commenting that on current numbers we would have the thinnest squad in the division and yet Ogilvie, Byrne. Mandron and List, who would all have had reasonable expectations of being in the team, were on the bench on Saturday.

Looks like there will be the necessary competition for places.

I was looking at the names on the bench for the Donny game, and the 6 outfield players all would have good claims on being in the first XI imho. And when you add Willock in there it would become even more competitive. It seems we have 16 or 17 players all ‘good enough’ to make the XI.

So I would hope if we do get 1, 2 or 3 more players in, that they are definitely “better than we already have”. And I mean clearly better. Otherwise I can’t see the point.

SE keeps referencing the full back position as a weakness. So it sounds like he thinks we can do better than Garmston or Fuller (I’m assuming he means LB?). And hopefully he gets in the mythical goalscorer. Other than that, I don’t see why we need another midfielder or winger. We seem to be well served there.

You are right SirKeef we do have 7 decent replacements once Willock is fit, however we than only have Oldaker, Tucker and Zakauni when fit. Woods, Campbell and the younger boys Scarlett and Bramble are unlikely to feature before Xmas which means that's 22 at the moment. That's a small squad when you have to find 18 each week. 2 or 3 injuries and a suspension and you are already short.

3 is about right I would suggest the 'mystery striker', another left back by the sounds of it and I think he will get a left footed winger in as well.

And if Matt didn't reportedly turn up for training last Thursday it looks as though interest is waning there, perhaps on both sides.

And if Matt didn't reportedly turn up for training last Thursday it looks as though interest is waning there, perhaps on both sides.

SE said after the Donny game that he nearly signed a player late last week but decided against it because “I think we can get better”.

Maybe that was Matty?

If it was Matty, then “better”, surely means fitter, younger, less of a risk or something. I doubt we could get better on just ability.

As i said previously there are always going to be 3/4 senior players not making the squad let alone the bench at this rate - to me it is waste.
Does Adam ..... chickson ring any bell... say no more

Ah, I thought you were referring to players only being brought in to, maybe, warm the bench, as in "As i said previously there are always going to be 3/4 senior players not making the squad let alone the bench at this rate - to me it is waste."

If the 3 players coming in "are better than we already have" then maybe 1 or 2 players will move on?

Chicksen has been on loan with us twice and is currently a free agent, having left Bradford at the end of last season. Sounds like he could be one of the three new signings.

Chicksen has been on loan with us twice and is currently a free agent, having left Bradford at the end of last season. Sounds like he could be one of the three new signings.
Kettners is saying he is the one Evans turned down on Friday, because he thinks we can get better in.

I think SE has been saying he wanted to balance the side with more left footed or left sided players.

Of course, Barry Fuller playing on the left may have been an obvious example but don't rule out a more left sided player in midfield or attack as well.