Evans confirms striker bid is dead | Vital Football

Evans confirms striker bid is dead

Cookiejar

Vital Reserves Team
and that's he's joined someone else on loan. Other than Matty Taylor at Oxford I cant think of anyone else it might have been. Apparently his club preferred him to go out on loan instead.

He's still saying we are doing our best to get another 3 in without breaking the bank.

He's made some strange comments to the press in the past week or two (unless it's words being taken out of context. Does seem to suggest a bit of antagonism somewhere. That article on kentonline where he talks about the striker also says

“But I am not going to bring players in for the sake of it, it has been going on for four or five years at Gillingham and it can’t go on like that any more.”

I'm never a fan of managers passing the buck onto former managers/regimes. Just reads like getting the excuses in early.

Though I wonder if it's a bit of a jibe at Garmston plus any others he wants to move on (depending on the timing of the interview).

and that's he's joined someone else on loan. Other than Matty Taylor at Oxford I cant think of anyone else it might have been. Apparently his club preferred him to go out on loan instead.

He's still saying we are doing our best to get another 3 in without breaking the bank.

That`s a shame, hopefully we`ll get a bit more quality in during the next week. SE probably had/has several irons in the fire. I do wonder whether we were trying to get young Tyler Walker, who joined Lincoln from Forrest a few weeks back on a season long loan. Walker had a superb season on loan at Mansfield a while back.

I am sure Evans suggested the striker was 'known' to Gillingham supporters. I cant see how Walker would fit into this??? or Matty Taylor for that matter

I am sure Evans suggested the striker was 'known' to Gillingham supporters. I cant see how Walker would fit into this??? or Matty Taylor for that matter

I don`t remember that comment. I do recall SE referring to his "target" as a "kid" and being a "higher league striker". It`ll all come out in the wash some time.

“But I am not going to bring players in for the sake of it, it has been going on for four or five years at Gillingham and it can’t go on like that any more.”

I'm never a fan of managers passing the buck onto former managers/regimes. Just reads like getting the excuses in early.

Ordinarily completely agree... but I also happen to think he's right. Some of the players we added have been for the sake of adding. We need to add better players or players with the potential to be better with the right system/coaching.

Evans is ambitious because that's what he's always done - I don't think we've had a manager of his 'calibre' since Stan Ternent tried to keep us up. If a player doesn't improve us, it isn't worth tying ourselves to them, imo.

Ordinarily completely agree... but I also happen to think he's right. Some of the players we added have been for the sake of adding. We need to add better players or players with the potential to be better with the right system/coaching.

Evans is ambitious because that's what he's always done - I don't think we've had a manager of his 'calibre' since Stan Ternent tried to keep us up. If a player doesn't improve us, it isn't worth tying ourselves to them, imo.
We shouldnt be giving long contracts to players who are there to make up the numbers. Absolutely agree with that. But we certainly do need some more players to make up the numbers and to stand in in the case of injuries. Whether thats loans or just short term one year/till xmas contracts.

In fact some would say we need some more important players than simply players just to make up the numbers. A quality striker for example. Although i would understand the argument that jakubiak is fast looking like the 20 goal replacement there.

Who have we signed just for the sake of adding? Surely when a manager signs a player they must be thinking they are either better than what we already have, or have the potential to be. Even if they are signed as backup, they must be expected to be good enough to do a job if needed.

Looking back I'd say the likes of Nash, Rees etc who rarely featured and in hindsight look like hopeful punts. But that's ultimately going to be the case for most players at this level, including Eaves and Holy. Some make it, some don't, and at the time there's no real way of knowing.

That's not signing players for the sake of it, though. Obviously they were signed in the hope/expectation they'd be able to bring something, even if just as a sub or squad player.

Fair enough, they didn't, and signing them was probably a misjudgement. Is every backup player we sign who doesn't play many games signed for the sake of it?

I'm probably splitting hairs and picking up on SE's words unnecessarily, just thought it was an odd phrase to use.

I don't think we need anymore prospects.
We need a proven level league one player

We do indeed, but he`s still a useful prospect and SE must know enough about him to (apparently) be interested in taking him on, it`s a squad game these days. Bury had a very young player, think he was sixteen, turn out against us a couple of years ago. He was of slight build but used his skill so effectively that he ran the game. It doesn`t always follow that a young, non-heavy set lad can`t get it done in L1.

Fair comment Lancs, but 18 is pretty young to be playing up front in League one.
I'd expect that Leeds would loan him out with the full intention of getting a lot of match time.