Evans and Raynor | Page 8 | Vital Football

Evans and Raynor

All managers careers at clubs end in one of two ways: they do really well and get poached by a richer club, or they fail. The latter route is the more well worn and the decline is often slow and punctuated by false dawns. The current incumbents can't buck those trends and are victims of their own and Scally's boosterism. Ultimately, if they don't go earlier, they will probably be ditched for failing to make the play offs. If they improbably took us to the play offs they would be investigating contracts elsewhere. I expect a new manager next season.

Although I don’t like Evans and I don’t believe he is a long term option. You can’t argue too much with that well thought out and balanced article. My gripe is he is not a good coach and a foul mouthed man. I don’t like his constant revolving door mentality when he clearly brings the player in and boots them out the back door instead of improving them. Dominic Samuel is not a ‘new ‘ player for us we had him before under JED. Ogilvie was also here before and not a new signing for us. You can’t argue with the fact we are ‘safe’ but I believe we should be at least pushing for playoffs each season and have the players but I’m not convinced we have the right ‘quality’ of coaching and we can do better if we are to make a serious push for the championship

A fair article. But I strongly disagree on the issue of the Gillingham team playing behind closed doors at Priestfield has been detrimental to results. This is a young side and unfortunately having the crowd their would have increased nerves especially in defence and undoubtedly many would have got at defensive players and strikers alike this season. The clubs that would have been most affected by ground closures are those who have a big crowd and are doing well in the league anyway .The flip side is that teams doing poorly are also slightly benefiting from not having fans baying for blood .That could be part of the reason nobody is clear at the top or bottom this season.
I'm dont go along with this 'young side' excuse
of the likely starting 11 today, only 3 could be classed as 'young' - Tucker, Cundy and O'Connor, and 2 these have nearly had 2 full seasons; 4 of the bench (MacK, MacD, Akinde and g/k) are not young.

Think that's a well balanced article. Despite some of my criticism /questions of SE recently overall he has done a decent job in his time here, although given how well he did last season I was hoping he was going to take us on this season, especially given the exciting pre season acquisitions of Dempsey, Graham and Samuel. Sadly so far all we've seen is inconsistencies, with the only two things we're consistent at is being inconsistent and making individual errors that are costly.

As mentioned in the GITB piece, all signings are a gamble, I'd just hoped (maybe expected) a more successful return on SE signings given his experience and contacts in the game, although the lowest budget in League one clearly doesn't help his cause.

One thing I've found frustrating this season is our inability to be organised defensively. This is something that is only achieved through hard work and coaching on the training ground, not through a revolving door of different players.

As for whether SE is here next season, I have my doubts it'll be GFC's decision. As it stands at the moment there are some things he's done well and there are things that he could improve on and certainly of late we've become to predictable and one dimensional. Whether he's the man to take us forward next season I'm not sure, but replacing him with someone else will admittedly be a gamble, as the squad will need rebuilding in the summer and as we've seen in his time here we've not been in any danger of relegation. IMO without investment or a better budget the play offs are beyond our reach.

Last edited:
I'm dont go along with this 'young side' excuse
of the likely starting 11 today, only 3 could be classed as 'young' - Tucker, Cundy and O'Connor, and 2 these have nearly had 2 full seasons; 4 of the bench (MacK, MacD, Akinde and g/k) are not young.
The defence is generally young especially the centre backs they would be under more pressure with a crowd which was my point. Also up top you have two strikers who may not be that young but even though they have both had their moments. Generally they can't hit a cows arse with a banjo.My point was I believe that the Priestfield crowd would have been at best of no help to this squad .At worst detrimental.

What we don't know is what Evans will want to stay and if anyone else is genuinely interested in getting his services?If there is other interest he maybe out of reach already there is very little doubt that his agent would have got that information before Evans sits down with Scally .I can see Evans demanding more than Scally can deliver. Promoted league two sides with money might have a appeal for example. Get one of them to the top of league one and it is a big feather in the cap so to speak. Evans has never be seriously worried about the street credibly of the team he manages. Unless Scally can come up with funds I don't think Evans will sign another deal to continue with the current budget and wages .

Although I don’t like Evans and I don’t believe he is a long term option. You can’t argue too much with that well thought out and balanced article. My gripe is he is not a good coach and a foul mouthed man. I don’t like his constant revolving door mentality when he clearly brings the player in and boots them out the back door instead of improving them. Dominic Samuel is not a ‘new ‘ player for us we had him before under JED. Ogilvie was also here before and not a new signing for us. You can’t argue with the fact we are ‘safe’ but I believe we should be at least pushing for playoffs each season and have the players but I’m not convinced we have the right ‘quality’ of coaching and we can do better if we are to make a serious push for the championship
Under the current rules on spending and Scally's own financial picture I really can't see any way we could ever compete in the championship. Wycombe have shown how difficult it is for teams like us.That does not mean we should not try .But the mountain is massive and personally I can't see Gillingham ever climbing that high up Scally again.

Under the current rules on spending and Scally's own financial picture I really can't see any way we could ever compete in the championship. Wycombe have shown how difficult it is for teams like us.That does not mean we should not try .But the mountain is massive and personally I can't see Gillingham ever climbing that high up Scally again.

It really depends on recruitment.

When we were promoted to the Championship last time we actually only signed three players in the close season and none of them were from the Premier League or a regular Championship club.

Baldy Shaw was often on the sub's bench at Millwall, Chris Hope was Scunthorpe's captain and Marlon was plucked from Barnet. We then acquired Guy Ipoua , also from Scunthorpe and Mama Sidibe, who was not a regular at Swansea.

They were identified as being capable of making the step up straight away, along with the players we already had, who negotiated the higher level.

That was essentially the team that went on to finish in the top half of the Championship.

I appreciate that they would have demanded somewhat higher wages but that could be covered by the naturally higher Championship income.

We would not be able to afford the likes of Rod Wallace or Tommy Johnson these days, but they were injury plagued anyway.

It really depends on recruitment.

When we were promoted to the Championship last time we actually only signed three players in the close season and none of them were from the Premier League or a regular Championship club.

Baldy Shaw was often on the sub's bench at Millwall, Chris Hope was Scunthorpe's captain and Marlon was plucked from Barnet. We then acquired Guy Ipoua , also from Scunthorpe and Mama Sidibe, who was not a regular at Swansea.

They were identified as being capable of making the step up straight away, along with the players we already had, who negotiated the higher level.

That was essentially the team that went on to finish in the top half of the Championship.

I appreciate that they would have demanded somewhat higher wages but that could be covered by the naturally higher Championship income.

We would not be able to afford the likes of Rod Wallace or Tommy Johnson these days, but they were injury plagued anyway.
Higher income we only got about 8 to 9 thousand in the championship and that was with a side that cost well beyond what we would be allowed today under current rules .That is without the transfer fees .Sorry I would like to think we had a chance but in truth promotion is difficult. Staying up under the current structure is impossible unless we were able to sell every seat for every match at high prices which is simply not going to happen.