Evans and Raynor | Page 5 | Vital Football

Evans and Raynor

Ok, we’ll agree to disagree.
In my opinion Tucker is a more accomplished centre back than Cundy, who is a couple of years older, is at a higher club and is highly rated as a good prospect.
Show me a centre back who doesn’t make the odd mistake.
Actually, show me any footballer who doesn’t make mistakes.
For the record I like Jack Tucker. The point of my post is I don't think Evans has developed him

Tucker impressed SE in preseason training when he first joined the club. I do think it’s likely he’d have left the club that summer if Lovell had remained in charge.

Evans may or may not be a good coach, that could be why he and Raynor always work together. A lot of good coaches try to be managers and fall by the wayside. Four off the top of my head Peter Taylor, Don Howe, Steve Mclaren, Brian Kidd, add to that Steve Lovell and Ade Pennock. All good coaches, but not great at managing clubs.

Tucker impressed SE in preseason training when he first joined the club. I do think it’s likely he’d have left the club that summer if Lovell had remained in charge.
How can you tell what would have happened under Lovell had he been given more time .That is massive speculation. We don't know budgets we don't know what Lovell had in mind .We don't know what Tucker's feelings were towards Lovell or weather he would have got a contract or opportunities under Lovell.Evans gave Tucker his opportunity and has run the team his way we can debate that. Lovell had his successes and failures. Let's debate that not the pure speculation of what would have happened. Lovell's record stands up as a decent manager who took over in difficult circumstances. He left us far better off than that .Not every Gillingham manager can say that .Many have left us worse off.That's how I will judge Lovell not based on what if's.

Evans booked again. Got me thinking. A cage fight between Giant Haystacks Evans and In Your Face Darren Drysdale. Would pay to see that.

BTW I congratulate Darren for standing up to that little prick of an Ipswich player.

How can you tell what would have happened under Lovell had he been given more time .That is massive speculation. We don't know budgets we don't know what Lovell had in mind .We don't know what Tucker's feelings were towards Lovell or weather he would have got a contract or opportunities under Lovell..

All we do know is that Tucker was born in November 1999 and Lovell was sacked in April 2019, so the player was nineteen and a half at the time.

At that age players, and particularly centre backs, have not fully developed in stature and strength. I thought, for instance, that Zech Medley looked raw and he is 20. SE did not give him a regular start and has since sent him back.

Tucker may have been released by SL if PS wanted to cut the player budget but I am sure SL would not have chosen to lose him.

As it happens, Tucker has kicked on and matured quickly. SE and PR may or many not have been influential in that but by SE's admission Jack impressed him at first sight.

Evans' discipline definitely worse this season. I'm not even sure what some of them are for, it doesn't seem to be after offsides or dodgy pens/ red cards but the ref casually strolls up and shows him a yellow for no obvious reason. Must be constant getting in his earhole

I think a lot of that is on the money, but you appear somewhat biased against SE due to his treatment of Garmston.
Also we can’t afford to sign more than 2/3 really good technical “footballers”, so the direct physical style SE employs is all about finding a way to win with the budget he has available .
It’s nothing to do with his individual treatment of players. Most mangers know what they want they get rid of who they don’t and that’s fine. My argument is his continual wasteful merry go round and poor coaching and foul mouth that’s why I dont
Him

It’s nothing to do with his individual treatment of players. Most mangers know what they want they get rid of who they don’t and that’s fine. My argument is his continual wasteful merry go round and poor coaching and foul mouth that’s why I dont
Him
You are in a tiny minority Kettners.
Most would be happy if he continued next season but maybe Lancs can start a poll to verify if my opinion is correct.

Him
I totally get where you are coming from. I don't like the guy .But then I never liked Martin Allen I was in a minority in that .I had every reason for my feelings. Adam Barrett even apologised for to me for the way Martin behaved towards me.But there was no doubt for a time Martin Allen did a great job of managing Gillingham. Almost every manager has a sell by date that is in my view not up with Evans. I can never see the point of sacking managers just because you don't like them.i would never have appointed Evans and will never be his biggest fan .But he is the manager and there are a lot worse out there both in terms of results and behaviour at the present time.i never believed that Scally and Evans could work together that was one of my main reasons for not wanting him.He and Scally have proved me wrong on that and I respect that.

I totally get where you are coming from. I don't like the guy .But then I never liked Martin Allen I was in a minority in that .I had every reason for my feelings. Adam Barrett even apologised for to me for the way Martin behaved towards me.But there was no doubt for a time Martin Allen did a great job of managing Gillingham. Almost every manager has a sell by date that is in my view not up with Evans. I can never see the point of sacking managers just because you don't like them.i would never have appointed Evans and will never be his biggest fan .But he is the manager and there are a lot worse out there both in terms of results and behaviour at the present time.i never believed that Scally and Evans could work together that was one of my main reasons for not wanting him.He and Scally have proved me wrong on that and I respect that.

I'm with you on that Chris, I saw the underside of Martin Allen's personality. He cultivated an image successfully but could behave quite badly with people. It's worth stating the oldest of clichés that not all the good guys are good managers and not all the bad guys are bad managers. We pay them to manage football clubs.

Bar that great 12 months with JED we've basically been in relegations fights every year since we got back into League One. There were countless posts on here just wanting some midtable mediocrity without the worry of relegation.

Since SE and PR took over we've had 2 seasons looking up rather than down. I for one much prefer it this way. I reckon we also have more chance moving up the league than with basically any other manager we've had recently. We'd be silly not to extend their contracts for at least 1 more year.

Agreed Chris. Listen, all managers have their "sell by" date and it doesn't matter whether they fall on their own sword or if the club decide they've had enough, soon or later the reaper cometh.

There are very few managers who stay longer than 5 years with a club and those who do are generally with teams that are really settled in relatively safe places. Dario Grady at Crewe was an exception and it didn't really matter whether they were promoted of relegated, they stuck with him for over 20 years. (I think he was even managing director at one time as well). He was probably able to work within a tight budget and I cannot believe he was on stellar wages either.

Two other managers who were exceptions were Sir Alex and Arsene Wenger. Somehow how other they managed to keep a tight rein on their clubs and I can only think that was because the players truly respected them, and what they had achieved. Both were multiple league champions, home cup winners and European cup winners however ultimately even their results started going against them leading to a parting of the ways. If I were being cynical I could also say that neither their clubs has achieved anything like the same results but maybe they themselves were lucky in inheriting a golden group of players like those of 92 at ManUre. Thinking about it, Wenger was probably the more astute of the pair as he bought most of his team, and didn't he do well!

Regarding SE I think he will disappear of the horizon soon enough - his track record shows that he is not a "stayer" however midtable mediocrity under him is preferable over someone like JED, (who when came in (allegedly) was given a budget way in excess of what his predecessors had received - blew the lot and was sacked in less than 2 years.

There are times I really have some sympathy for Paul Scally - I truly believe he wants to do right by us but with finances fairly limited he is really having to cast his net in the darker waters of the pond. Not too many gems have come out there. Mike Flynn being an exception - I had hoped that he might come to us given his time here but that looks like a non-starter.

Agreed Chris. Listen, all managers have their "sell by" date and it doesn't matter whether they fall on their own sword or if the club decide they've had enough, soon or later the reaper cometh.

There are very few managers who stay longer than 5 years with a club and those who do are generally with teams that are really settled in relatively safe places. Dario Grady at Crewe was an exception and it didn't really matter whether they were promoted of relegated, they stuck with him for over 20 years. (I think he was even managing director at one time as well). He was probably able to work within a tight budget and I cannot believe he was on stellar wages either.

Two other managers who were exceptions were Sir Alex and Arsene Wenger. Somehow how other they managed to keep a tight rein on their clubs and I can only think that was because the players truly respected them, and what they had achieved. Both were multiple league champions, home cup winners and European cup winners however ultimately even their results started going against them leading to a parting of the ways. If I were being cynical I could also say that neither their clubs has achieved anything like the same results but maybe they themselves were lucky in inheriting a golden group of players like those of 92 at ManUre. Thinking about it, Wenger was probably the more astute of the pair as he bought most of his team, and didn't he do well!

Regarding SE I think he will disappear of the horizon soon enough - his track record shows that he is not a "stayer" however midtable mediocrity under him is preferable over someone like JED, (who when came in (allegedly) was given a budget way in excess of what his predecessors had received - blew the lot and was sacked in less than 2 years.

There are times I really have some sympathy for Paul Scally - I truly believe he wants to do right by us but with finances fairly limited he is really having to cast his net in the darker waters of the pond. Not too many gems have come out there. Mike Flynn being an exception - I had hoped that he might come to us given his time here but that looks like a non-starter.
Flynn's stock has gone down recently I think