Euros | Page 83 | Vital Football

Euros

We haven't won 5 of our 6 games so far - and scored 8 in our last 3 - by setting up not to lose. That is utter nonsense.

I also couldn't disagree more on the point about the final being a "free hit". Working hard and sticking to a particular game plan to successfully get to the final, only to then abandon that in the hope that something new will work and you will 'win better', makes absolutely no sense.

This is the final and the chance of a lifetime for these players and manager to win a tournament - why would they even consider changing things?

Southgate knows what he's doing and, whatever the result on Sunday, we will play the team and system which he thinks will give us the best chance of winning.

You speak the true-true.

I do hope that the England fans don't boo the fantastic Italian National Anthem.
The booing of other countries anthems make me ashamed to be British.
What ever happened to our supposed British fair play?

Where did it come from? I've been to half a dozen internationals and no one booed

i think if this team is set up not to lose then setting up not to lose is a good thing.
Its actually just game management and keeping the ball, arguably, even arguable? thats its better than Spain's way of setting up not to lose.

I think Southgate has done enough for me not to offer any opinion on his selections. I do hope I feel the same next season with CH

Have we gone into a game yet this tournament where we have prioritised not losing over winning?

And what happens if Southgate puts an attacking team out, Italy tear through our midfield and comfortably beat us - are you content to have lost the final just because we set up to attack, or in hindsight would you wish we had been more conservative?

The calls from some to almost abandon the approach which has got us to this stage while only conceding 1 goal is baffling. Thankfully we have a manager who doesn't pander to fan noise.

Why don't you post like this more often?

I think a lot of people have questioned this England side and been proved wrong.

I honestly didn't think they were any good. I could see them going out in the group stage if they lost to Croatia. I couldn't see where the open play goals were coming from, and I was very sceptical of players like Mings and Rice.

I was wrong on all counts.

A lot of people on here were slating Harry Kane, thought he was playing shit and wanted him replaced by the lad from Everton.

They were wrong on all counts.

Many of us (with, I should add, the possible exception of CP) have been really critical of Raheem Sterling's England performances for years, to the point where we had given up on seeing his Man City form for England.

We were wrong on all counts.

For me, Gareth Southgate can name Pickford up front if he wants to and I would trust him now. He has done something no one since Terry Venables has managed; moulded a decent bunch of England players into an actual team. He has won games tactically. He has instilled bottle in players that we as English football fans expect to have none.

He has been right throughout this tournament and should absolutely have earned our trust.

I think the idea of tournament football has been alien to us, largely because we aren't used to seeing England get this far. The idea of keeping your powder dry in the early games. The idea that your performances start good enough and then get better and better. The idea of momentum. It's all uncharted territory for us.

Southgate has schooled us all I think and fair play to him

I think a lot of people have questioned this England side and been proved wrong.

I honestly didn't think they were any good. I could see them going out in the group stage if they lost to Croatia. I couldn't see where the open play goals were coming from, and I was very sceptical of players like Mings and Rice.

A lot of people on here were slating Harry Kane, thought he was playing shit and wanted him replaced by the lad from Everton.

Many of us (with, I should add, the possible exception of CP) have been really critical of Raheem Sterling's England performances for years, to the point where we had given up on seeing his Man City form for England.

For me, Gareth Southgate can name Pickford up front if he wants to and I would trust him now. He has done something no one since Terry Venables has managed; moulded a decent bunch of England players into an actual team. He has won games tactically. He has instilled bottle in players that we as English football fans expect to have none.

He has been right throughout this tournament and should absolutely have earned our trust.

I think the idea of tournament football has been alien to us, largely because we aren't used to seeing England get this far. The idea of keeping your powder dry in the early games. The idea that your performances start good enough and then get better and better. The idea of momentum. It's all uncharted territory for us.

Agree, think they have all done it with a wee bit of class too.

I agree with Will NFFC team. The 11 which started last night, is not the 11 for us to win the game. It may be the 11 to keep us in the game for an hour, but I do believe one of Phillips or Rice has to sit for Hendo.

Foden and Grealish for Mount and Saka.

Italy's full backs can be exposed. The CB's need to be worked, as they are awesome, but both 36 years old! Italy's midfield 3 worry me if we are putting Phillips and Rice against Veratti, Jorginho and Barella. Hence we need to change that.

Not overly concerned with Insigne or Immobile, but Chiesa is a big threat. Time to win this game, not to try and not lose it
Insigne looked superb in combination with Spinazzola. Scored a good goal but generally less threatening since the injury.

A first ever Euro trophy is very tenable now chap.

There is a chap at work who has little interest in the beautiful game and on Thursday he said to me, this is different, there are no WAGs, prima donnas, or front page news away from football.
I think this is a big factor, nobody stands out, they have been a cohesive unit and for once a TEAM.
Long may it continue and oh, Forest: watch and learn.