Euros 20/21 Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

Euros 20/21 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two London grounds were used in the 1966 World Cup finals (always a good quiz question to name 'the other one') - but no doubt the rules have changed since then.
Yes, Wembley refused to cancel the scheduled greyhound racing meet, so France v Uruguay moved to White City.
Only 16 teams in the finals back then, and simpler times!

The way they've spaced out the players is a bit odd. Grealish, Foden, Sako are not strikers and would slot into the middle. Sako is even a pretty decent left back. Sancho and Sterling are wide players in reality. There's only really Kane and Calvert-Lewin who you would say are number 9's. Bellingham is a talent and could do very well in this tournament
Tbh, it's not often teams win a tournament playing like that.

France were pretty risk averse when they won the WC despite their talent. Germany are never particularly attacking when they've won a tournament. Portugal weren't when they won, likewise Greece.

Spain had a lot of the ball but weren't *that* attacking. I think it was 2010 they basically 1-0'd their way to victory.

Tbh, it's not often teams win a tournament playing like that.

France were pretty risk averse when they won the WC despite their talent. Germany are never particularly attacking when they've won a tournament. Portugal weren't when they won, likewise Greece.

Spain had a lot of the ball but weren't *that* attacking. I think it was 2010 they basically 1-0'd their way to victory.

I think I would take any of their defences over ours though and that's why our best chance of doing well is playing to the strengths of our attacking players. Could go horribly wrong of course

Yes, Wembley refused to cancel the scheduled greyhound racing meet, so France v Uruguay moved to White City.
And squads of 22 players 2 players for each position a guy I worked with John Johnson ended up playing for Brazil In the 66 World Cup? How you might ask well John was an apprentice at Bolton Wanderers at the time and he was the only apprentice kept on in the summer as he used to look after the training pitches well in the 66 World Cup Brazil used Bolton’s facilities and pre tournament they wanted to play the first 11 against the 2nd 11 but they had 1player injured so they asked Bolton if they had anybody hence John got the gig, he told me it was the only game he ever played in when he received the ball he had 5/6 guys wanting the ball, at the end of game Pele gave him his shirt but John always regrets not getting the shirt signed.

True Story.

And squads of 22 players 2 players for each position a guy I worked with John Johnson ended up playing for Brazil In the 66 World Cup? How you might ask well John was an apprentice at Bolton Wanderers at the time and he was the only apprentice kept on in the summer as he used to look after the training pitches well in the 66 World Cup Brazil used Bolton’s facilities and pre tournament they wanted to play the first 11 against the 2nd 11 but they had 1player injured so they asked Bolton if they had anybody hence John got the gig, he told me it was the only game he ever played in when he received the ball he had 5/6 guys wanting the ball, at the end of game Pele gave him his shirt but John always regrets not getting the shirt signed.

True Story.

Fantastic story it is too 👍🏼

True Story.
Good tale that.
Perhaps he could get one signed by Maguire to make up for it.

I think I would take any of their defences over ours though and that's why our best chance of doing well is playing to the strengths of our attacking players. Could go horribly wrong of course

To be honest I don't see us winning with any strategy but I'd rather see us go down fighting playing attacking football.

France v Uruguay moved to White City.

And unlike nowadays there would be two games (or maybe more in the group stages) being played at the same time.

I seem to remember that if there had been an uneventful first half in the game showing live on the BBC they would switch to showing another game after half time - needless to say, the first game would then produce a lot of goals!

It's good that the England performance doesn't impact your enjoyment of a tournament. Please keep that in mind once this one reaches the QF stage!
Southgate, like so many before him, has said one thing and done the other. "I'll pick players inform", Sterling, Rashford and probably Calvert-Lewin poor for some time now, Ings and Bamford get to watch on TV. As always, injured players in the squad (we will never learn). Now, we pick players fro the first friendly that aren't even in the final squad!
Predictable loss when we play a good side.
The key to not being affected by England games is to expect absolutely nothing! Then anything else is a bonus. Quite often I really enjoy watching a Romania v Switzerland, Latvia v Bulgaria, etc. Even better at a world cup!

I didn't know there was a competition on and I hardly know any England players but I'll probably watch it. Italia 90 was the last international comp I was really in to but that was more to do with where it was held than following the England team.

The key to not being affected by England games is to expect absolutely nothing! Then anything else is a bonus. Quite often I really enjoy watching a Romania v Switzerland, Latvia v Bulgaria, etc. Even better at a world cup!
Went to the Euros in Portugal 2004; Turned up for Sweden-Bulgaria on the off chance really to tick off Sporting Lisbon's new ground. Got a ticket for next to nothing ten minutes before kick off and was treated to a masterclass by a veteran Henrik Larsson and a young Zlatan Ibrahimovic as Sweden won 5-0.

Zlatan was an absolute beast back then!

i laughed out loud when i read southgate is giving lingard a start - when he has two games to be preparing the team for the tournament. such a nice fella southgate.

as others have said. problem areas: keeper. stones, no left sided cb. no top international class defensive midfielder (we know how important a bridcutt is)

i don't rate sterling or henderson (even when fit) at this level either.

mount, foden, james look like they could be top internationals.

main issue for me isn't the players though, it is the quality of the coach, the ability to manage top premier league 'stars', and to make them into a winning team in the very big games.

What even remotely sane manager would play someone in a pre-finals practice match who is nothing to do with the finals??
It's ludicrous in the extreme.

Went to the Euros in Portugal 2004; Turned up for Sweden-Bulgaria on the off chance really to tick off Sporting Lisbon's new ground. Got a ticket for next to nothing ten minutes before kick off and was treated to a masterclass by a veteran Henrik Larsson and a young Zlatan Ibrahimovic as Sweden won 5-0.

Zlatan was an absolute beast back then!

The only non- England game I ever went to was Italy v Russia in Euro 96’ at Anfield. Italy won 2-1 and had the Kop, only the 2nd time I’ve ever sat/stood on it ... and the last.

Last edited:
The only non- England game I ever went to was Italy v Russia in Euro 96’ at Anfield. Italy won 2-1 and had the Kop, only the 2nd time I’ve ever sat/stood on it ... and the last.

Switzerland v Netherlands at Villa Park for me...really good Dutch side that competition who England somehow managed to stuff a few days later

Snap. I was at that game - my ticket was for the main stand , my friends were in the Kop with the Italians. The Czech Republic squad were seated in the row behind me Nedved, Poborsky, et al.
Walter Zenga was outside the ground pre-match. Seemed a really good guy , had all the time in the world for the fans - not sure he spoke much English though! Managed to get his autograph

Status
Not open for further replies.