Euros 20/21 Thread | Page 16 | Vital Football

Euros 20/21 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
24 teams in the tournament, out of 55 sides in the qualifiers, so it is a bit easier.
Scotland finished above San Marino, Kazakhstan and Cyprus in qualifying, and won five out of ten games. Then won two penalty shoot outs to advance in the Nations League playoffs.

It will be interesting to see what their approach v England will be having lost the first game. Throwing in the 'Derby' nature of the game, it all adds to the potential for a kitchen sink coming Southgate's way. Or will Clarke go for the patient game, try and stay in it and look to nick it much later on.

The evening kick off should at least provide a pointer as to how much England were observing the first game heat as a factor in how they approached it. I can certainly see a game of football breaking out in this one at some point.

They have to go for it now, best way to beat them is to pass them to death while they scurry around operating on adrenaline.

I am not in the slightest bit bothered how we do it, exciting or boring none of it matters as long as we win. You can't win the tournament in the group stages and how many times have we lauded the Germans and Italians for being slow starters but getting the job done in the end. Southgate is experienced enough to know that getting out of the group is the only thing that matters and he's got 3 points from comfortably the most dangerous opponents in the group.

We were terrible for the group games of Italia 90 and no-one remembers that. (Including criticising Robson for picking Lineker when there were better "form" players)
We were not great at all for the opening game of Euro 96 and no-one remembers that (including all the criticism of Venables for picking Shearer when there were better "form" players and no-one could understand how McManaman was getting a game)

Plus ca change I guess...

They have to go for it now, best way to beat them is to pass them to death while they scurry around operating on adrenaline.

I am not in the slightest bit bothered how we do it, exciting or boring none of it matters as long as we win. You can't win the tournament in the group stages and how many times have we lauded the Germans and Italians for being slow starters but getting the job done in the end. Southgate is experienced enough to know that getting out of the group is the only thing that matters and he's got 3 points from comfortably the most dangerous opponents in the group.

We were terrible for the group games of Italia 90 and no-one remembers that. (Including criticising Robson for picking Lineker when there were better "form" players)
We were not great at all for the opening game of Euro 96 and no-one remembers that (including all the criticism of Venables for picking Shearer when there were better "form" players and no-one could understand how McManaman was getting a game)

Very true, and WC 86' before that too where we were dreadful v Portugal & Morocco.

In fact the only time I can actually recall us starting a tournament well was v France in 82' .... running home from school just in time to see the kick-off in Bilbao.

Very true, and WC 86' before that too where we were dreadful v Portugal & Morocco.

In fact the only time I can actually recall us starting a tournament well was v France in 82' .... running home from school just in time to see the kick-off in Bilbao.

We played alright v Tunisia in 2018 and still needed a last minute winner...

24 teams in the tournament, out of 55 sides in the qualifiers, so it is a bit easier.
Scotland finished above San Marino, Kazakhstan and Cyprus in qualifying, and won five out of ten games. Then won two penalty shoot outs to advance in the Nations League playoffs.
also, 16 of the 24 teams in the tournament qualify for the knock out stage. the group stage is nearly redundant. almost like a huge safety net has been introduced for the 'bigger' nations

The last 16 stage is now a knockout version of the old tournament of 4 groups of 4, when it became straight knock at the last 8 stage.
Used to be 24 in the world cup when I was youngster, the world cups of 82,86 and 90.

Just looked at the 90 World Cup squad, I don’t remember ever thinking Steve Bull was a valid replacement for Lineker. in form or not.

My short term memory is getting horrendous, I remember hitting 6 past Panama but that's about it?

We battered Tunisia but only scored one, they got the ropiest of penalties (although we got our fair share throughout the tournament, not all of them ropey though) and then finally put the winner away right at the end. We played excellently IIRC but couldn't score. Which just goes to show, no-one remembers how the group games go unless it's a bad memory where we play terribly..

Just looked at the 90 World Cup squad, I don’t remember ever thinking Steve Bull was a valid replacement for Lineker. in form or not.

Lineker had undetected hepatitis in the '88 Euro's (where we performed terribly) and had played all three group games without scoring. Despite being top scorer that season in 1990 there were many who thought he couldn't cut it at international level...

Grealish misses out on training today as England camp "manages his fitness", why oh why are we taking half-crocked players to major championships?

The 'Group of Death' tonight. Should be two good games, although I'll only get to see France vs Germany.

The 'Group of Death' tonight. Should be two good games, although I'll only get to see France vs Germany.

Really hoping Hungary can put the cat amongst the pigeons and take a couple of points in that group. The jeopardy disappearing from the third place team getting through would return!

Hungary at home v Portugal and France and with a capacity crowd (only one) of 60,000.
They drew 3-3 with the Portuguese at France'16.

It will be interesting to see what their approach v England will be having lost the first game. Throwing in the 'Derby' nature of the game, it all adds to the potential for a kitchen sink coming Southgate's way. Or will Clarke go for the patient game, try and stay in it and look to nick it much later on.

The evening kick off should at least provide a pointer as to how much England were observing the first game heat as a factor in how they approached it. I can certainly see a game of football breaking out in this one at some point.
Listening to Ally McCoist on TalkRadio yesterday morning he said "tonights game is massive, a huge game, we're not bothered about the England game, we need to win tonight."
I guess parking the bus against England has gone out of the window now they need the points because they're unlikely to get much from their game vs Croatia. Could be a cracker, as you say.

Hungary at home v Portugal and France and with a capacity crowd (only one) of 60,000.
They drew 3-3 with the Portuguese at France'16.

Yes, amazing to see a full house again.

Looking forward to both games tonight, Portugal have a great side on paper, as I love Bernardo & Father Reuben 💙

France v Germany should be a cracker later too 👍🏼

Btw, is this the old Nep Stadium where Trevor Brooking put one in the stanction 40 odd years ago?

Yes, amazing to see a full house again.

Looking forward to both games tonight, Portugal have a great side on paper, as I love Bernardo & Father Reuben 💙

France v Germany should be a cracker later too 👍🏼

Btw, is this the old Nep Stadium where Trevor Brooking put one in the stanction 40 odd years ago?
Those murals of people in the background are very life like I have to say. Holograms have been taken to another level.

Status
Not open for further replies.