European Super League | Page 33 | Vital Football

European Super League

Is anyone else concerned that we have a team of players signed from the Championship and foreign and the owners still had to put £100m into the club to keep the lights on?

I would have thought that we were punching above our weight this season but obviously not.

Is there such thing as a sustainable business model in football?

Is anyone else concerned that we have a team of players signed from the Championship and foreign and the owners still had to put £100m into the club to keep the lights on?

I would have thought that we were punching above our weight this season but obviously not.

I think we're playing catchup in terms of being a money making club. I would imagine as time goes on and we (hopefully) get more success then we'll attract bigger sponsors and thus more money.

Its great that Sawaris and Edens are backing us but we should be aiming to be self sustaining.

Not sure who said it but it goes something like this - "if you want to turn a big fortune into a much smaller fortune, then buy a football club"

I think we're playing catchup in terms of being a money making club. I would imagine as time goes on and we (hopefully) get more success then we'll attract bigger sponsors and thus more money.

Its great that Sawaris and Edens are backing us but we should be aiming to be self sustaining.

Absolutely, there is nothing wrong with making an investment. An investment assumes that there will be a return at some point and that's the bit that concerns me. The Glazers have found a way of making money from football. There were a load of conmen that bankrupted Portsmouth that I'm sure made money. Randy lost his ring at Villa Park, though I'm not sure he ever had a plan. I really hope Sawaris and Edens have a plan.

Absolutely, there is nothing wrong with making an investment. An investment assumes that there will be a return at some point and that's the bit that concerns me. The Glazers have found a way of making money from football. There were a load of conmen that bankrupted Portsmouth that I'm sure made money. Randy lost his ring at Villa Park, though I'm not sure he ever had a plan. I really hope Sawaris and Edens have a plan.

I think the game changed completely during Learners time and what we were aiming for became too much for him. I think our current lot have a plan, they admitted themselves that we're actually ahead of where they thought we'd be as we got promoted quicker than expected.

The next year or 2 are the and crucial ones. We've gone from championship to Premier league. Barely surviving to comfortably mid table. Can we go from that to getting into Europe and then to top 4. Can we actually win a trophy. Those are the hardest steps.

I see the Utd fans are planning more protests against the Glazers.

Their big gripe is that the Glazers are taking money out of the club. There is a perception in football that owners are there to bankroll the club.

It used to be that the local-boy-done-good would buy the club as a gesture towards the local community. If that boy had done especially good, like Jack Walker, he could bankroll a league title.

Now football inflation has gone through the roof and the only people who could do that are multi-billionaires.

We were the biggest spenders in Europe at one point under Randy (it was a freak transfer window). I think our net spend was £40-something million. Chelsea spent around £250m in the last window.

I'm not a communist but football is a public good. Aston Villa isn't just a company trying to make money. Like a public park or a hospital, it's there for the greater good of the community. Having an owner really conflicts with the nature of the organisation.

Absolute fucking shambles!

The nine clubs have agreed to make a combined 15m euros (£13.4m) goodwill contribution to benefit children's and grassroots football across Europe.

They will also have 5% of Uefa competition revenues withheld for one season, starting in 2023-24, and this money will be redistributed, including in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57031372

I worked out it cost Randy Lerner roughly £100k per day to own the club. The new owners are probably above that per day at the moment .

I worked out it cost Randy Lerner roughly £100k per day to own the club. The new owners are probably above that per day at the moment .

I'd imagine well above that.

When RL took over I think the only real liability was any future transfer spend instalments and then a circa £11/12million overdraft.

Let alone what it cost to meet all the loan liabilities of the good Tweeter with our properties, there was his £30m to RL failure to add in, so RL came in with a better position anyway.

I see that as a positive for their commitment though, but especially factoring in Covid, I'd be amazed if it wasn't £4/500k a day region at the moment.

I'd imagine well above that.

When RL took over I think the only real liability was any future transfer spend instalments and then a circa £11/12million overdraft.

Let alone what it cost to meet all the loan liabilities of the good Tweeter with our properties, there was his £30m to RL failure to add in, so RL came in with a better position anyway.

I see that as a positive for their commitment though, but especially factoring in Covid, I'd be amazed if it wasn't £4/500k a day region at the moment.

Absolute fucking shambles!

The nine clubs have agreed to make a combined 15m euros (£13.4m) goodwill contribution to benefit children's and grassroots football across Europe.

They will also have 5% of Uefa competition revenues withheld for one season, starting in 2023-24, and this money will be redistributed, including in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57031372

UEFA shit themselves then. Every club involved should have been booted out of UEFA competitions for at least next season.

A combined £150m that couldn't be owner paid and came directly out of their FFP budgets I'd have accepted.

That would've been low key but an irritant.

Interesting that Real, Barca and Juve are still in the firing line. Suspended from UEFA competitions?

There's still possible PL sanctions to come. Ban the six clubs from European competition for a year? So Leicester, West Ham, Everton and Villa get to next year's Champions League :grinning: